Making A Network Bridge?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by gravely101, Feb 18, 2008.

1. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008

Advertisements

How can i do this?

2. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Buy one?

3. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I mean, I want to create a network bridge through my laptop, so I can access my tivo through my network through my laptop

4. 100Tbps

100Tbps New Member

May 12, 2006
    You haven't described what you're trying to accomplish.

Command line? HTML / GUI? Watch video, or control the Tivo via the remote? From inside your home network? From the internet through your laptop?

5. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008

Advertisements

Oh sorry, I want to access my tivo through my laptop, but I know i have to connect the tivo to my network via a USB Ethernet Adapter

So, would creating a network bridge within my laptop accomplish this? If so, how can this be done?

6. 100Tbps

100Tbps New Member

May 12, 2006
    Your question doesn't make any sense. Again, please describe the scenario if you really want some help with this.

7. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I have just hacked my series 2 directv tivo, and now I want to access it through my computer so I can use the hacks (Tivowebplus etc.)

I want to access my DTV tivo through my laptop, and I know that my tivo has to be connected to my network connection, and I read some places that creating a Newtwork Bridge within my laptop will allow me to connect my tivo to my network through my laptop.

Thats a descriptive as I can get

8. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    I think what everyone is having trouble understanding is:
    Why not just connect your tivo to your home network directly (rather than bridging through the laptop).
    (most of us with hacked tivos access them that way)

Are there technical reasons you can't or don't want to do it that way?

9. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Are you currently using a router?

10. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Yes, I have a WRT45G

And I want to access it through my laptop because my tivo is near my laptop, and my Computer with my router is downstairs, away from my DTV tivo

11. Finnstang

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Find a compatible USB Wifi adapter for the Dtivo and just put it on your network and you will be able to connect to it from any computer on your network.

The only restrictions would be that you can only run either no encryption or WEP using one of a couple preset keys.

12. Finnstang

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Or you can do what you are suggesting and getting another router capable of running in bridge mode and connect the dtivo to the bridged router via an ethernet cable and the two routers would communicate wirelessly.

13. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I agree with Finnstang's two replies.

If you create a bridge for the Tivo it means your laptop can never leave the desk and must always be powered! A wireless adapter on the Tivo or a wireless bridge means the Tivo can access the internet at any time.

I suggest you find a used WRT54g version 1-4 and install aftermarket firmware on it for a very inexpensive and reliable wireless bridge.

14. BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    I have used these routers with aftermarket firmware with good results. I would suggest for ease of setup to get an Apple Extreme and an Apple express router. The bridge mode configuration is a breeze. You can get the G speed Extreme and express probably for a steal now that the N speed routers are out.

Trust me unless you are proficient with routers and bridges the Apple solution is much easier to setup and use.

Hope this helps,
    BigBearf

15. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    The laptop has to be on all the time? Well, when I turn the laptop off I most likely not be using the tivo online features.

And also, what wireless adapters work with t DTV Tivo?

16. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    If all you want to be able to do is have a hardwire connection to your tivo from your laptop, just get a crossover ethernet cable and use a static IP address.

Of course with this setup you will never be able to truly appreciate the functionality of a networked DVR, but then again if you use your laptop as a bridge you won't really be able to do that either.

Trust us it is simpler and more practical to either bridge two routers or get a wireless bridge rather than using you notebook.

17. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Well, if I do this what can I do with the networked dvr? I have a DTV tivo, and really the only reason I modified it was to extract the tv shows.

18. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    The big one is Multi- room Viewing (MRV). Its been a few months since I used DIrecTV and I understand that there has been a software upgrade that added some functionality, but took away MRV on a hacked DTivo. BUT, if you have more than 1 DTivo use 6.2a, you can have most/all the functionality DTV added plus MRV and extraction (which can't be discussed here). Since you went to the trouble of hacking your DTivo you might as well get all you can out of it.

19. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    I've gone to HomePlug netowrking for my HR21s so have my old Belkin wireless G Router/AP bridge that needs a new home.

The HomePlug adapters sold through DirecTV are stupidly simple to setup and run faster than G.