Major update coming before July according to CNET

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by GBK33, Jun 17, 2020.

1. GBK33

GBK33 Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Noelmel likes this.
  2. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    "The update will automatically select the HDR version as well as enable users to turn off the "always on" HDR effect."

Great

Noelmel likes this.
  3. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Title is a bit misleading.

They said they’d fix the HDR by the end of June.

While that’s a problem that’s affecting a lot of users, I don’t think I’d call it a “major update”. It’s a single bug fix.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    compnurd and Noelmel like this.
  4. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Active Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I said to do this over a month ago.

5. GBK33

GBK33 Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Sorry, did not mean for it to be "fake news" title ;-) But I did take it to mean that there were multiple fixes coming. Just hope the timeline holds true

6. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    good news

Noelmel likes this.
  7. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    I signed up for the beta after filling out the survey a week or two ago, but I returned my TS4K right at the 30-day mark because I didn't want to get stuck with it.

I got a beta notice through the portal (am I allowed to mention this?), but since I don't have the device, I obviously didn't accept it. I'm guessing the HDR "fix" (aka, letting users turn off the stupid thing) is part of the beta.

I'll be ordering another TS4K on or around (June 26?), toward the projected end of the current $50 promo. That'll give me another 30 days to play around with it, and TiVo 30 days to get their ducks in a row. If they can't do by mid-July, I consider it a lost cause and I'll just hold out for a Mi Stick or Google "Sabrina".

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Good to see TiVo actively trying to squash the bugs in this product. But I don't know if they'll be able to raise the price soon, as they've said, to $70 with the new competition on the way.

It looks like the new Mi TV Stick is about to hit the market, priced at 39.95 euros in the EU. That translates into just under $45 US. It has the same specs as the TiVo Stream 4K -- same chipset, same 2 GB RAM, same 8 GB storage -- except it doesn't appear that the Mi TV Stick supports Dolby Vision. (They'd have to license that feature from Dolby and it would increase their costs.)

New Xiaomi Mi TV Stick will ship next month for under US$50; 4K HDR and Android TV dongle gains EEC certification too

And, as you mention, Google will sometime this year finally roll out their own Android TV dongle, code-named Sabrina. It looks to have almost the same chipset and specs, and will support Dolby Vision. I'm betting they won't price it any higher than $70, given that that's about the cost of the current Chromecast Ultra. But if the Mi TV Stick is only $45 or $50, they might have to price it at $60.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Major update would be enabling play from tivo DVRs

Balzer, herbf, sd2528 and 4 others like this.
  10. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    I kept waiting to hear more about this, but then stopped checking. Good to hear there's an actual date in mind.

At $50, this will kill the TS4K, IMO. Literally the only advantage of the TS4K is the USB-C port (see EDIT 2) and folks are having a lot of trouble with it.

I guess some folks might care about Dolby Vision, but since virtually no TV currently available can make use of DV over what HDR10 (which is open-source) offers, it's a gimmick. And if a person happens to have a setup that can make actual use of the advantages DV offers, they aren't quibbling about a $50 streaming dongle.

EDIT: Seems it's possible an FHD version with 1GB of RAM would be the $50 device, and a 4K device with 2GB would be a more expensive version. If that's the case, it's a pass for me and I'll take my chances with a TS4K at $50.

EDIT 2: the Mi Stick 4K might come with a USB-C power port and if that's the case, I would expect it to support power pass-through and more peripherals.
    I really cannot understand why they didn't make this a key component in the first place. Timing and resources, maybe?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  11. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, I saw the news today that you included in your first edit above. Not sure what Xiaomi is thinking by replacing their current 4K HDR Mi Box S, which sells for $50 at Walmart, with a stick that's only 1080p and also sells for $50. The Mi Box S even has 2 GB of RAM while this stick has only 1 GB. How is this inferior stick supposed to be more desirable if it's also $50? Never mind the fact that Roku and Amazon sell 4K HDR sticks for $50 (often on sale for less). If all you need is a 1080p streamer, the Fire TV Stick 1080p model is $40. I can't see anyone buying this. I mean, nothing Xiaomi comes out with is probably going to sell all that many units because they're an unknown brand, they don't really do any marketing, and they only seem to have US distribution in Walmart. And they're competing with two big boys, Roku and Amazon. If anyone is going to succeed in getting an Android TV device into a lot of homes, it's going to be Google.

12. Lend27

Lend27 New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Is this HDR fix still coming by the end of June?

13. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Looks like integration with Tivo DVR's isn't in the works.

tivopm
    1 hour ago
    The TiVo Stream 4K capabilities and features were designed for the streaming player market. The company has no plans to integrate connectivity to TiVo DVRs.

We are working on software updates for the DVR itself. We’ll likely have more news on that at some point.

In terms of the TiVo+ channels, would you want the ability to hide certain channels?

Noelmel likes this.
  14. herbf

herbf Executive Member

Oct 21, 2002
    NJ
    Just goes to show how clueless the Mgmt or Engineering team at TiVo is these days. If they offered integration w/ TiVo DVR's I'm sure they could double the price of this stick, and some households may buy multiple sticks like they did w/ the Mini.

There is so little enhancement of the TiVo ecosystem in the past 5 years, and they are stripping off functionality that exists from older generations. Why did many of us invest in lifetime subscriptions, to loose access to things like Netflix on platforms that had it?

15. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    You mean, like an entire revamp of the entire UI?

Hydra came out less than 3 years ago.

16. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    There are relatively few households that own and use retail TiVo DVRs and would therefore be interested in using a TS4K as a Mini-type device in conjunction with their DVRs. Sure, if TiVo engineered that functionality into the TS4K, it would result in a few more sales but not enough to make the sort of difference the company needs for the TS4K to actually be successful.

I'd say they need this new device to sell way more units than the TiVo Roamio, TiVo Bolt or TiVo Edge have sold. The TS4K is dedicated to streaming, not traditional DVR functionality. It's aimed at a MUCH wider audience than TiVo's traditional product line. They didn't create it with the typical visitor to this forum in mind.

17. herbf

herbf Executive Member

Oct 21, 2002
    NJ
    2 years late and many dollars short. Chromecast, FireTV, Apple TV and Roku have owned this market for a few years already, not to mention the knockoffs coming from all over China. For Tivo to try and enter the market now, and not try to tie in its Legacy install base is foolish.

Here again, TiVo has a name because of its Legacy user base, which they actively choose to ignore, which new to streaming user is going to consider TiVo over the many other robust offerings? Roku and Amazon are bundling a lot of content w/ their offerings, and what uniqueness is TiVo offering besides being a re-branded Chromecast / fireTV stick?!?!

18. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    I agree. There are so few using their DVR that it doesn't make sense for them to spend the time on it. I think this streamer is their fist step in dropping DVR sales. They'd rather sell a streamer to many many more folks who will buy one for every TV in the house. Upgrade them every couple of years and sell you several more.

NashGuy likes this.
  19. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    By the way, if there is a major update coming before July they had better hurry.

Noelmel likes this.
  20. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    You're not wrong, but I think what others are trying to point out is that it's too late, especially if they're going to suck at it. If the Mi Stick TV 4K comes in at $50-60 - and maybe even Google Sabrina at $70-80 - the TS4K is done for. As others have noted, Amazon and Roku own the "cheap streamer" market. What differentiates the TS4K? At this point, its only value is in in being the first (major) S905Y2 on the market and for only $50. But it's plagued with bugs (which are largely self-created, IMO).

Don't get me wrong, I want the TS4K to be successful. Amazon's Fire TV Sticks are "meh" at best and I hate Roku for a variety of reasons. A streamer running vanilla-ish Android TV would be perfect. But TiVo thought to itself "Hey, what if we dumb it down to the point that features are missing outright?" and managed to turn it into a disaster. They could have put in far less work and had far more success.

mschnebly and newappz like this.