TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Major update coming before July according to CNET

10K views 94 replies 30 participants last post by  Alex_7 
#1 ·
#47 ·
Tivo's apps are being abandoned, Hulu is still using their old interface and the HBO app will never be upgraded to HBO Max. Tivo has to realize that eventually they're going to have to release an app. Whether that app is released next week or next year, it's going to have to happen.
Unless Tivo is going to abandon making any new DVRs and focus on software and streaming. Then there is no reason to update apps. They put all the DVRs that are already out there in maintenance mode until their end of life.

#79 ·
No HDR fix in the coming release. [emoji2959]

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tivo/comments/i0xuz4/stream_4k_firmware_update_and_stream_app_updates/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
r/tivo
u/tivopm

Stream 4K Firmware Update and Stream App Updates

Hi All,

Along with the Pluto VOD update we released yesterday we are rolling out new Stream 4K device firmware as well as Stream App updates over the next week or so. These have a number of additional features and functionality in them as well as fixes and general improvements! We've detailed some of that information below:

* Apps are now accessible from the Left Navigation Menu on the Stream App
* Remote Control pairing and TV/Audio Improvements
* Additional Dolby Atmos support
* Flashing video playback in some apps
* HDMI-CEC Improvements
* Many additional fixes

We know many of you have experienced a number of these issues and we hope these releases are well received. One item I know you're also concerned about is the HDR issues - whilst the changes in functionality missed this release please rest assured we'll have those in another release shortly.

#46 ·
Was Tivo lying when they said they'd release Roku\AppleTV\AndroidTV DVR apps by the end of 2019? IMO yes.

Over 10 years ago I was a phone monkey for Jawbone Bluetooth headsets. One day we were told when asked about a new version of the Jawbone Bluetooth headset being released, to answer that Jawbone had no intention of updating their line-up. Roughly ~2 weeks later on a Friday at 4pm we instead were given a sheet with information on the new Jawbone 2 and were told to encourage our customers to upgrade. It takes way longer than two weeks to develop a new Bluetooth headset, make them, and ship them out to the states. Jawbone had me lie to customers for ~ 2 weeks.

Tivo has to realize that as time goes on, when people watch TV they're more likey to watch Netflix, HBO Max, Peacock, Hulu, Vudu, etc then channel 407 or the LOGO channel. Heck, I spend more time watching the CW app then the CW channel. Tivo's apps are being abandoned, Hulu is still using their old interface and the HBO app will never be upgraded to HBO Max. Tivo has to realize that eventually they're going to have to release an app. Whether that app is released next week or next year, it's going to have to happen.

#49 ·
Unless Tivo is going to abandon making any new DVRs and focus on software and streaming. Then there is no reason to update apps. They put all the DVRs that are already out there in maintenance mode until their end of life.
I have it from an inside source that the only department / division of TiVo that is even solvent is the patent and licensing group (or however they're arranged, we didn't get into the internal structure), which includes their "if you like this, you might like this" algorithm that is used by pretty much every app that isn't YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon (I'm sure there are others, but you get the idea).

From what they said to me this weekend, there is an overall internal shift to pushing more software development for the purpose of selling it to smaller players who find it cheaper to license than develop their own. They said that the TS4K was TiVo's first foray into Android for the mainstream market and they're testing the waters to see what kind and quality of data they can glean from its data collection (in general) and Stream app (in particular). The idea being that they would then move almost exclusively over to licensing and software. So TiVo would start to become less prominent as a name to consumers and more prominent as a name to manufacturers.

Take it all with a grain of salt, of course. While my source does indeed work for TiVo, we don't talk a lot and so I don't know them very well. They've been there for years and are privy to some higher-level company strategy, but not all of it. They have nothing to do with the TS4K directly.

#50 ·
What you wrote seems to make sense from everything we know or interpret from and about TiVo. At least to me, it is clear that the TiVo hardware business and their retail business are significant money losers. There is no way that TiVo makes money in those departments. Relatively speaking, I am sure the TiVo 4K stream is significantly less costly to manufacture since it is based on an existing product. And since TiVo seems to be going in the direction of a software company, I am guessing that the development of the TiVo stream application and it's underlying data mining capability is consistent With the direction they are going in.

I would put money down on the idea that the TiVo edge was the last of the TIvo DVR's that will get manufactured. This is why I am also suspicious that, as discussed in another thread, the TiVo mini is being replaced by an upgraded version of the TiVo mini. I just do not believe that TiVo would put money into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Looks like integration with Tivo DVR's isn't in the works.

tivopm
1 hour ago
The TiVo Stream 4K capabilities and features were designed for the streaming player market. The company has no plans to integrate connectivity to TiVo DVRs.

We are working on software updates for the DVR itself. We'll likely have more news on that at some point.

In terms of the TiVo+ channels, would you want the ability to hide certain channels?

#14 ·
Just goes to show how clueless the Mgmt or Engineering team at TiVo is these days. If they offered integration w/ TiVo DVR's I'm sure they could double the price of this stick, and some households may buy multiple sticks like they did w/ the Mini.

There is so little enhancement of the TiVo ecosystem in the past 5 years, and they are stripping off functionality that exists from older generations. Why did many of us invest in lifetime subscriptions, to loose access to things like Netflix on platforms that had it?

#27 ·
What differentiates the TS4K is the TiVo Stream app that comes pre-loaded on it and is exclusive to the device. Sadly, from what I read on this forum, it doesn't sound like it does as good a job of aggregating, integrating and tracking content from various sources than the free ReelGood app for Android TV. It does include the free TiVo+ streaming channels (meh) and I suspect that the ad revenue that TiVo hopes to make from those channels, as well as the user data they collect throughout the Stream app, are the main ways TiVo aims to profit from the device. (I doubt they're making much, if any, profit on the hardware itself at $50. Maybe they get a kickback from Google for sales and subscriptions through the Google Play store that are initiated on the device? Not sure how Google handles the relationship with OEMs that license Android TV from them for retail devices.)

It sounds like TiVo is moving pretty quickly to squash their bugs on the TS4K. But they'll need to also improve the functionality of the TiVo Stream app if they want lots of folks to buy the device and regularly use the app. Frankly, I have a hard time seeing the TS4K breaking through with the public to the extent necessary for it to really take off. They need to advertise it more.
I have an Nvidia Shield too. I would have thought that Tivo could have put their app on android tv since it works pretty darn well and just have the Tivo part of it to have problems to work out. Why would they take away from the device so many of the settings? They could have just moved them to an advanced settings menu folder and warned folks to use at their own risk. I try these boxes and then I go back to my Apple TV 4k and appreciate how solid it is. Their TV app is getting better all the time.

#28 ·
Yeah, I've wondered too why TiVo doesn't roll out their TiVo Stream app, with TiVo+ content built-in, to other devices. Initially, I would've thought that they couldn't deep-link to content in other apps (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, etc.) unless it was on their own device. But that's apparently not true on Android TV, because ReelGood is doing it. They've released their app (which is similar to TiVo Stream but without TiVo+ or integration with Sling) on the Google Play Store and apparently any Android TV device, such as the Shield TV, can access it.

Yeah, I really like my Apple TV 4K too. Although I'm curious about trying out Google's upcoming Android TV device, assuming they really sweat the details and make it a polished product. Google has a pretty mixed track record in that regard, so we'll see...

#41 ·
Just curious, are they going to do a fix to the "My Shows" part of the Tivo Stream 4K in this update?

One reason I returned the Tivo Stream 4k is bc it was pretty buggy and randomly updated and/or was just a static list of shows that I'd watched. It did not put the latest show that it recorded like the regular Tivo did on the top of the list or anything like that.

#42 ·
Sounds like we may be getting TiVo DVR integration based on what I think TiVoPM is saying here at Zatz's site:

https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-07/tivo-stream-4k-fixes-delayed/

We're working on a number of fixes as well as giving you guys some new features. We're trying to enable both. But we are focusing on the fixes around flickering video, Bluetooth/Remote Control issues, CEC issues and some WiFi problems. We're working on a few features which are close to this communities hearts, so as soon as I have confirmation I'll let you know! […] We're working hard on this and a number of other fixes we're trying to get into your hands ASAP. I'm really sorry for the delay here, but we ran into some snags. Please know we're pushing very hard and as soon as I have updates I'll let you know

#44 ·
I've long suspected that the Tivo Stream 4k is the replacement to the Tivo Mini, but they can't announce until they sell their backstock. An expensive tivo mini that doesn't include HBO Max or Disney Plus is a harder and harder value proposition. Heck, even charging money for the Tivo DVR App on Apple and Android (free on Stream4k) makes more sense than a new $150 Mini.

#59 ·
By and large, the TS4K is just as buggy now as it was on day one. I believe there was a "fix" for CEC that worked for some folks / hardware, but not all.

Always-on HDR, flickering (especially using Kodi or Plex), and remote programming weirdness are all still present.

If you buy the TS4K, make sure you're happy with the way it is now, because it seems quite possible that this thing is being downright ignored by TiVo.

#64 ·
I got the same DM from tivopm on Reddit. I responded... not gotten any reply. Will be curious to see if it amounts to anything. In the mean time I had to make a decision so moved the family to Apple TV 4K for now. Not sure if I'm going to return the TS4K or hang on to it to see where it goes. The main issue that was driving me crazy was in spite of me trying all the disabling of CEC and such, the remote would keep forgetting how to control volume on my Sony TV; and the flickering, but would have toughed it out with that if the remote wasn't playing "50 First Dates" with me.

#88 ·
Update coming very soon! I got the update and it FINALLY fixed my remote!!! New remote setup screen yayyy :)

on Tivo Reddit-

Stream 4K Firmware Update and Stream App Updates

Hi All,

Along with the Pluto VOD update we released yesterday we are rolling out new Stream 4K device firmware as well as Stream App updates over the next week or so. These have a number of additional features and functionality in them as well as fixes and general improvements! We've detailed some of that information below:

• Apps are now accessible from the Left Navigation Menu on the Stream App
  • Remote Control pairing and TV/Audio Improvements
  • Additional Dolby Atmos support
  • Fixes for flashing video playback in some apps
  • HDMI-CEC Improvements
  • Many additional fixes
We know many of you have experienced a number of these issues and we hope these releases are well received. One item I know you're also concerned about is the HDR issues - whilst the changes in functionality missed this release please rest assured we'll have those in another release shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.