Major problem with 2 new Bolts

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Calben, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016

Advertisements

OK, so I've bought two Tivo Bolts and they both have experienced the same problem where the Bolts become completely non-functional, which seems crazy. Very frustrating.

I have Charter Spectrum in Tampa and have a Cable Card and tuning adapter. I set up the first Tivo following all the on-screen prompts, called the cable company to activate the card, did all the software updates and downloading data prompts, finally all was well and done. The only thing that I have not done is activated the Bolt, as I want it to work fully before paying the lifetime sub I'm planning to get.

So the only thing left to set up is MoCA so my Mini will work. I then turn on MoCA (the Bolt was set up via ethernet and MoCA was off). After turning on MoCA I get an error message saying the Bolt can't connect to the network, even though I'm setting it up as a 'Bridge', and I was told I do not need a MoCA adapter as the Bolt acts as one (creates a MoCA network).

My wiring setup was grounded coaxial cable from street to POE filter to outdoor MoCA splitter sending one line to a living room MoCA splitter (with one living room line right into modem, the other directly into a third splitter which feeds both the Tuning Adapter and Bolt.) It sounds like a lot but this is the reccomended setup for my situation, and the internet and cable picture signals come through fine.

Now the huge problem starts, for the first time:

So I call Tivo after MoCA isn't working using their wiring setup. Tech guy walks me through some stuff and one step involves unplugging everything and plugging it back in.

So the Bolt powers back on, displays the Tivo name, then the image with the little mascot & the 'few minutes' screen, which loads a couple times, then a quick flash of a screen with a blue loading circle with 'one moment' and then.... cut to black. TV's inpu still has a signal, but screen is completely black.

Tech walks me through a few more things (the black screen problem now making the MoCA problem meaningless) and eventually he concludes I got a crapped out unit and it needs to be replaced. Which is fine.

I go to Best Buy an hour later and get another Bolt (first one was from Amazon). I figure lets go through the setup, get back to the MoCA problem and call back, or maybe even all problems will be fixed.

I set up the new Bolt the same way. Update everything, activate the cable card again (a real headache), download all the data, but finally I'm back to where I was. And sure enough MoCA is again not working after turning it on and setting up as a Bridge on the Bolt. Before doing anything else I go plug in the mini and see that I get the same error message.

The second thing I do is unplug the Bolt and plug it back in. And sure enough the same black screen appears moments later. I try unplugging again, same problem. I tried a wall outlet, new HDMI cord, and even tried a different TV and coaxial source, still black. I tried power cycling in total 5-6 times, always a black screen.

Two brand new Bolts having the same problem. It goes from guided setup, cable card activation, download channel data, finally working, settings to turn on MoCA, error message, unplug power, black screen permanently. I feel like a third, fourth, fifth Bolt will do the same.

Anyone have any idea what on earth is going on?

2. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Have you connected the tuning adapter correctly?

https://support.tivo.com/articles/F...l-a-Tuning-Adapter-for-Switched-Digital-Video

Since bolt is connected to Ethernet, you will need Bolt to create MoCa network, not join a MoCa network that does not exist. I would personally try simply connect Bolt to network using Ethernet first, have it working and activate with TiVo then later after everything is up and running have Bolt established a MoCa network for the Mini.

Maybe the black screen is because the unit is not activated with TiVo ? Or maybe a finicky hdmi cable?

Calben likes this.
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Calben likes this.
  4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Have you tried connecting it to a different TV? I have seen the Bolt incorrectly decide what video resolution to use, and sometimes HDMI negotiation is just a stupid joke.

Calben likes this.
  5. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016

Advertisements

Yeah that layout is how I have the tuning adapter hooked up. Each time I have also started with a 'ethernet only' approach, let all updates and gathering data events happen, and then try MoCA only after that point. (Obviously getting the black screen after unplugging and plugging back in after that point.)

I have the third box now and have activated it with Tivo. I have used the HDMI cable supplied by the Tivo as well as others I've had around the house. I have not tried unplugging it yet, only going through the full setup. Unfortunately I am now not getting all of my channels (something that didn't happen with my first two Bolts) and so a Tivo support call has been delayed and Charter is coming to my house today.

After they pair a new cable card and hopefully a new tuning adapter I will once again enable MoCA.

My MoCA process is to always select 'Bridge' not 'Client'. In the side-description for 'Bridge' it lists that you should do this option if you don't have a MoCA network, and that the Bolt will create one. Through that I am getting the error. Then after that unplugging the Bolt and plugging it back in has resulted in a black screen. 3rd and newest Bolt is still on and will remain that way until Cable company gets here. (So it may or may not brick like the others after unplugging, that would suck as I'm imagining my cable guy just throwing his hands up and say 'call Tivo' who will then tell me to buy a new unit...).

6. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Yea different TV's and different HDMI cables sadly.

7. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Interesting to know, with the first one I did try that, in the sense that only the HDMI and power cable were connected just to see if I could produce something different, and the same black screen occured. The second one I can't remember for sure but I'm thinking I must have tried it too.

With my third one I will definitely try that if it goes to black. If this is a problem how exactly do we get around it? I am under the impression that Charter requires a TA in order to get the full channel lineup.

8. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Is your router in the same room with Bolt? If yes, there is nothing about bridge mode on Bolt. See below:

Connect your TiVo® box to your home network

When TiVo says "bridge" on the linked posts, it means the TiVo branded MoCA adapter. Another term for Tivo being used as bridge is when Bolt is receiving the internet signal via coax from MoCA created by another device, followed by plugging an Ethernet cable to Bolt's Ethernet port for other devices to connect to internet.

I have a feeling you are confusing things. so again, to my first question: is Bolt next to the router (in other words, can you connect an Ethernet cable from router directly to Bolt? That's going to determine the other steps

Calben likes this.
  9. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016

I do probably have a hazy understanding of all this, but I've been reading about it the last two days, as well as been on the phone with techs forever. Let me first answer your question and then lay out the cabling setups as clear as I can.

Answer to question: Bolt is 15-20 feet away from the modem in the same large room as the modem. I have a WiFi router connected to the modem via ethernet as well (the 3rd port on the modem), but it only exists to provide WiFi. The Bolt is not plugged into the router, only directly into the (2nd port) on the modem, via an ethernet cable.

Coaxial wiring: Pole line roadside cable- to POE filter- to MoCA-capable splitter- one line to Modem, other line to a 2nd MoCA-capable splitter, which feeds one line into Bolt, other line into tuning adapter. (Tuning adapter connected to topmost USB port on Bolt.)

Ethernet wiring is: Ethernet 2nd port out from modem into Bolt directly. (FWIW full ethernet wiring not related to Modem-to-Bolt connection: 3rd port of modem into a WiFi router, 1st port of Modem into a desktop, 4th port of modem into a Xbox. All wired ethernet connections.)

I looked at the link your provided and one page is both very helpful and very frustrating. In the 'Create MoCA network using your TiVo box' guide (the list of 6 steps), the 5th step is impossible for me. It says you go from "Settings & Messages" > "Network Settings" > "Change Network Settings." Then choose "Use this DVR to create a MoCA network."

But, on my Bolt, all I see is "Settings & Messages" > "Network Settings" > "Change Network Settings." Then I only see options of "Ethernet', 'MoCA', 'WiFi' and 'IP Address'. With each of them displaying ON or OFF next to them. All of them are clickable and take me into the settings for that option. Selecting 'MoCA' brings up 'Set up as Bridge', 'Set up as Client' or 'Turn MoCA off'.

The 'Creat MoCA network using your TiVo box' option is nowhere to be seen in settings.

10. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Just to piggyback on this, turning off MoCA does not create the 'Create MoCA network using your TiVo box' option. Does not seem to be anywhere in settings. In addition to that, the latest TiVo tech I've talked with (using my 3rd Bolt!) had me run through multiple restarts/different plugs/wall outlets/turning off MoCA/bypassing modem/using modem-to-router-to-Bolt/setting up as Client instead of Bridge, etc. She concluded I contact my ISP and get the exact IP address (which I've done) and have them make sure none of the ports on my modem are faulty. They assured me they are not if my other devices are all receiving internet (they are). (I have also tried all the ethernet ports on the Modem-to-Bolt direct connection, still does not work.)

I've got a case number and am calling back with the exact IP address and the reassurance from the ISP the modem's ports are not faulty, but I'm not hopeful...

11. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    So you don't see this screen:

upload_2016-12-16_16-4-46.png

I have a feeling something is screwed up during the initial setup.

It does look like you can connect the Bolt to internet via Ethernet. Therefore, the first step would be to "connect to internet using Ethernet" during initial guided setup. Once the connection is completed, TiVo is activated, and you have all channels and guide, then off to next steps to use the Bolt to create a MoCA network, as shown on the picture above.

I have a Bolt+ that I bought when it came out. Before that, I had a regular (4 tuner) Bolt. I am completely unfamiliar with the choices you have. Whatever options in my link, those were the options I remember, and had always done.

When I go back home tonight, I will take a look at my Bolt+ menus, and see what I can find out. Maybe they had changed the Networking menus with the new software update from the time I set up my Bolt+

krkaufman likes this.
  12. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    P.S.

I am hoping the TCF's networking experts are reading this thread and can chime in. Such as krkaufman, fcfc2, and others. I am sure they can have a solution, or at least provide some insights.

13. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Exactly, I have never seen that screen and can not access it as it's shown there in that picture. I am currently on my way home and will call TiVo again shortly. Maybe going through guided setup again is something they will reccommend.

And thanks I appreciate it.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I suppose if you can access the TiVo UI, the first thing to do might be to verify the software version on your BOLT, 'cause your network setup options don't map to anything I've heard before and certainly don't mesh with the existing documentation (which leads me to wonder if something was executed poorly by the developers in updating the network settings menu structure).

To be honest, your "turning on MoCA bridge" symptoms (i.e. "can't connect to network") sound more like the symptoms when setting up a TiVo device as a MoCA client... and failing, so, heck, maybe try the other option ("Set up as Client") -- as a long-shot -- to see if they simply mixed-up which configuration steps to associate with the menu options.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Calben likes this.
  15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You would have to wait for an update from TiVo unfortunately or do without the channels that Charter has on SDV.

Scott

16. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    You were right. The network menu and interface has indeed changed, I guess with the new software update.

From what I can tell, it does look like you will have to "set up as bridge", after you connect to Ethernet first.

It is unfortunate Tivo has not updated their instructions online

Calben likes this.
  17. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    When I first setup this Bolt it prompted me for a system update, so it should have been the latest firmware.

Recently I got off the phone with a TiVo tech who walked me through 2hrs of different things, including removing POE filter, changing splitters, asked for my modem model #, had me reset everything, etc.

Eventually she said she has talked to a higher technician and since we have exhausted troubleshooting I need to again call my ISP, this time for a 'signal check', and to return my Bolt and get another one. I explained this will be my fourth Bolt in 2 days, she was nice and gave me a new case #, but I told her I'm not optimistic a new Bolt will help.

Regardless the signal check was now performed after calling my ISP, 'all fine' I was told. I will either hit up Best Buy tonight to get another 1TB Bolt or tommorrow and do this all again.

For kicks after getting off the phone with my ISP for the check I went to 'Help' and ran guided setup again. (I posted on the TiVo Reddit page too to see if anyone had ideas, and this was suggested.) At no point was the 'set up as MoCA DVR' an option, and I never saw an 'advanced settings' section either. Just set up as MoCA, Wi-Fi or Ethernet. And when you select MoCA it just makes a move to turn on and gives me the familiar C33 error message.

Everyone I've dealt with at TiVo has been very nice, and I'm sure something is holding it up, just not sure how much more of this I can take. I hate the idea of paying more for crappier cable provided DVR's, but I can't keep buying and returning Bolts either. At a bit of a loss.

18. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Yea and unfortunately I can't find anyone online with a similar problem & referencing these new menus. There are plenty of MoCA troubleshooting topics but they all refer to the 'Set up MoCA DVR' option that I do not have. And thus far 'Set up as Bridge' has been disastrous.

What's odd is the 'Set up As Bridge' option's description says that selecting this will create a MoCA network. And yet when you do select it the prompt thinks and says 'the TiVo box was unable to connect to your MoCA network.' Seems counterintuitive. I want the Bolt to create a MoCA network.

19. Calben

Calben New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Replying again to quickly add that I did try the set up as Client, in fact two different techs offered that suggestion too, but unfortunately it has also not worked.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That's where I'm at. I'm seriously wondering if TiVo messed up the "creation" config steps when modifying the menu.

I don't have a BOLT, otherwise I'd give the whole "set up as bridge" a try.