Major Problem D11 and Series 2 Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by iujim1, Aug 11, 2007.

1. iujim1

iujim1 New Member

Dec 21, 2005

Advertisements

I am trying to hook a new Directv D11 unit to my existing Tivo. I'm not finding Directv listed on the manufacture guide in channel changing. I tried using Hughes because I know they use to make receivers, but that doesn't work for me either.

I read that on one thread somewhere, I needed a IR blaster or something. I'm not sure what that is or how to get it. I'm only sure that works once I get the tivo to recognize the new receiver.

Please help, and thank you in advance.

Jim

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    You can get an IR blaster from Tivo's site in the accessories section - link. That's about all of the help I have. This section is for DirecTV DVR's that run Tivo software. Questions about setting up stand alone Tivos to work with cable or satellite boxes are better left for the Tivo Help Section which is above this one.

-Robert

3. iujim1

iujim1 New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Thanks for your reply. The link to the IR blaster is the same cord I have hooked up now. I'm really at a loss. I don't want to get rid of my Tivo.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Hook the IR Blaster up to the Directv Receiver. Getting them in the right place is a little tricky.

Run setup on the Tivo. Choose the right connection. For the D11 it is the same as for all Directv Receivers. Tell the Tivo you are using Sat, and then choose Directv.

The D11 has got to be the worst Receiver to use the IR Blaster with, but unfortunatley it is the only option with this unit.

Have to disagree here. This Section is for Directv Receivers with Tivo. This not only includes Directv DVR units running Tivo Software, but also Standard Directv Receivers (as the OP has) running with SA Tivo units.

5. iujim1

iujim1 New Member

Dec 21, 2005

Advertisements

Thanks for your help! Works like a charm now. It is so nice to have people willing to help. This saved me a lot of headache. You're the best!

Jim

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  7. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    But the OP, who is New Here was told to take the Post to another Forum, when in fact the Op had posted it in the correct Forum.

So, blame rlj5242 and NOT the OP.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Ok. :)

9. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    I have to disagree back. The description of the forum "What do you get when you cross the great platform of TiVo with the programming of DirecTV? Something like DirecTiVo! Here is the place to talk about it! " mentions nothing about stand alone receivers. Just the DirecTivo. I did my best to help the OP with IR blasters.

If we don't try and keep some kind of order, this place would be a mess. Same reason all R15 and HR20 talk was pushed to DBS Talk. Those are DirecTV receivers. Shouldn't we discuss them here as well?

-Robert

10. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The R15 and HR20 are not Tivo units. They use Directv's own in house Software, not tivos at all, hence them being pushed to the DBS Talk Forums, which by the way are owned by the same people as those that own this very Forum.

The Title is very clear: Directv Receiver with Tivo. This covers not only Directv/Tivo units but Standard Directv units hooked up to Tivo boxes also.

OTHERWISE the Title would be: Directv DVR with Tivo.

According to your way of thinking, this place would be a total mess. :D

11. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    My final argument on this subject.

The description of this section is "What do you get when you cross the great platform of TiVo with the programming of DirecTV? Something like DirecTiVo! Here is the place to talk about it! ". No mention of stand alone Tivos. Just the DirecTivo. The stand alone models have their own place. They can discuss connecting them to antennas, cable boxes, DirecTV receivers or Dishnetwork receivers.

-Robert

12. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Actually again you are wrong.

There are Forums for the following:

Directv Receivers with Tivo
    Directv HD DVR's
    Tivo Series 3 (Series 3 and TivoHD)

There is also the General Discussion and Help Forums. There are NO Forums especially for Tivo Series 1 or 2 units, and for Standard Receivers from any Cable or Sat company connected to a Tivo.

Also:

"What do you get when you cross the great platform of TiVo with the programming of DirecTV? Something like DirecTiVo!"

With either a Directv/Tivo unit or a Directv Receiver and a SA Tivo unit you are crossing Tivo with Directv Programming. So this is the correct Forum.

One more point, look thru this entire Forum and see how many people have posted similar questions without someone complaining they are in the wrong Forum. Many Hundreds!

13. SLOmike

SLOmike New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    SLO, CA
    This may have changed over time, but historically this forum has focused on the DirecTiVo units rather than TiVos connected to DirecTV receivers.

I believe that the official name for the DirecTiVos when they first came out was "DirecTV Receiver with TiVo". DVR didn't really exist as a name for a TiVo.

I have over time seen many people redirected to the general TiVo forums when asking non-DirecTiVo questions. The HD TiVo DVR forum was created when those units were released because of the large number of questions which didn't apply to DirecTiVos.

I believe now that DirecTV has stopped selling the DirecTiVos there are fewer old timers arround as they slowly move on to newer systems.

-Mike