Major outage on DTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nuke, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1 of 10
    nuke

nuke Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Campbell,...

Advertisements

I was watching the Roman Empire show on the Military channel and started getting messages about sat signal being gone. Sure enough, a bunch of channels are out. Checked the transponders and bunch are dead on all birds.

2. Jan 5, 2007 #2 of 10
    reubenray

reubenray New Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Charleston,...
    Yep - I had the same problem. Got most of my stations back, but not the locals. But the OTA locals will not come back either.
    Any satellite should not effect the locals - should it?

3. Jan 5, 2007 #3 of 10
    jaypb

jaypb New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    I turned on my HD TIVO this AM and couldn't get a signal for Channel 79 or 75...or 504.

Then went to a different HD TIVO and couldn't get 75 or 504....but could get 79.

Then turned on an SD Tivo ...running of a different dish....and couldn't get 504. I stopped tooling around after I saw the issues were the same on 504....on an HD Tivo and an SD Tivo....on 2 different dishes.

And then one of the HD Tivo's rebooted while I was moving through the menus...amazing. Talk about SNAFU.....wishlists/season passes....and now this!

Hope DirecTV is able to keep "loving me" from up there....... :thumbsdown:

4. Jan 5, 2007 #4 of 10
    reubenray

reubenray New Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Charleston,...
    I do have my locals now. They were not in my guide anymore for some reason.

5. Jan 5, 2007 #5 of 10
    jamieh1

jamieh1 DIGITAL TV FAN

Mar 5, 2003
    Washington...

Advertisements

same thing on my hr20, woke up this morning all my channels were black, did resets and my locals off sat would not even show in guide and my primary ota would not, my secondary would, finally the channels started slowly appearing.

I checked my R15 and it was working fine.

6. Jan 5, 2007 #6 of 10
    Cmmsh

Cmmsh NOLA 8.29.05

Jan 1, 2007
    New Orleans
    Weird, I could get my locals and ESPN but nothing else. I thought it was because of our bad weather in NO metro area, but when weather got better, receiver didn't. Checked again this afternoon, and all was fine. ????

7. Jan 6, 2007 #7 of 10
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Same here in Portland area. Total fustercluck on many channels at about 3 AM. But many other channels were working.

This was for 3 x R10 units. I don't have HD from DirecTV.

8. Jan 6, 2007 #8 of 10
    videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Yeah, both my HR20s were brain-dead when I fired them up on Friday morning. All they would receive were MPEG-4 locals -- nothing else. And they wouldn't play previously recorded shows (which I know were playable, as I'd already watched some of them). Had to restart them both to get back to normal. I wonder what happened?

9. Jan 7, 2007 #9 of 10
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    I wondering if the has anything to do with the DirecTV satellite uplink in the Marina del Rey, CA area. I live about a mile from them and we were having close to 50 mph winds Thursday night and Friday morning. These are the strongest I have measured since I have lived here. I had fun standing outside in the wind with my wind meter. We lost power at 4:20 am friday morning. At 5:20 am saturday morning we had only one power phase restored which is really bad for electronics. I turned off the master circuit breaker on my house. At around 10:20 am we had the second phase restored for about 5 minutes and then the second phase went out again. About 10:40 we had both phases.

I guessing the uplink dishes could have been throw a bit out of alignment during the wind storm that they had to correct or some critical piece of hardware was not on the diesel power generators.

10. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    According to a post over in DBSTalk, there was indeed a power outage at the LA facility. I would be very surprised if they don't have a backup generator(s), but I guess there were some pretty serious issues.