Major Lost News *MAJOR SPOILERS!*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tewcewl, Jul 25, 2007.

1. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    From Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/ap_en_tv/tv_lost_perrineau

Turncoat Michael returning to 'Lost'

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Turncoat Michael is making a "Lost" `comeback. Harold Perrineau, who plays the character last seen betraying his fellow crash survivors to save himself and his son, will return to the show next season.

ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson didn't offer any details Wednesday of what's in store for Michael. He also didn't say whether Walt, the son played by Malcolm David Kelley, will be seen again.

The pair fled the mysterious island where the crash victims were struggling to survive against the dangerous "Others," with desperate Michael turning over his friends in exchange for escape.

The network had planned to make the "Lost" announcement at Comic-Con International, the comic book and pop-culture show starting Thursday in San Diego. But McPherson, speaking to a meeting of the Television Critics Association, was pressed for the information.

McPherson initially balked at talking, instead joking about what the announcement might be.

"I've cast Don Imus on `Lost,'" McPherson quipped.

Earlier this year, ABC said will run for three more seasons, concluding in 2009-10. The series will return for its fourth season in January.

OH MAN! Now I seriously can't wait til next season. Does this mean Michael was tricked or is he returning with some help to wage a war on the Others? Or maybe even showing up during present time?

2. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Or it goes with my theory, that the rest of the show will be progress from Jack's flash forward (in the 'real world', where Michael is), and the flashback portions of the show will be flashbacks to the island.

3. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Thank God you don't write for Lost.

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    ABC should just turn over the series to FOX so they can kill it quickly instead of letting things like this destroy the show slowly.

5. Mike10

Mike10 New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I remember reading that they tried to get him to come back for the season finale but he was busy doing something else

6. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Filming his small part in 28 weeks later??? :D

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, you may have it backwards--the actor was the one who left the show. This may give them the opportunity to restore some of whatever was lost story-wise when he left.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm 99% certain I read an interview with the producers where they said this won't be the case. At least not this season. While there would be *some* flash forwards like in the season finale, the show would not be exclusively flash forwards. I think he said there would be a mix, but the great majority would still be flashbacks.

I'm not certain about this, as it was back in May, and my limited brainRAM has already flushed that cache so as to store other, more valuable TV news. :)

9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That's the funniest thing I've read in these fora in a LONG time....thanks Hip! :D :D :D

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    We saw him and Walt "leave", but that is certainly no guarantee that they actually got anywhere. They could have been chugging along in circles, washed ashore down the beach, captured by pirates, or in the tiger section three cages over from Sawyer and Kate for all we know.

11. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Yeah. They were trying to get him to come back for the finale but it didn't happen. Guess it will now be written into next season opener perhaps.

12. bqmeister

bqmeister New Member

May 12, 2006
    My initial reaction after the finale was the same as Mitch's. We'd still see flashbacks, but they would all be flashbacks to the island, and present time would be back in the states.

13. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    It is my hope they do no more flash forwards. Flash forwards either trap them or force them into lame-o temporal discontinuity excuse. We finally watched the last 4 episodes of Lost a couple of days ago, and while it was a nice trick once, I think it could really cause problems to keep doing Flash Forwards.

14. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, I think the writers doing a fantastic job of keeping timelines and continuity intact. Remember, they have an overall arc already planned, so it's not like they're making things up as they go along. That's where you run into problems, writing yourselves in a corner if you don't have the timelines carefully plotted. Damon has been on record saying that things from Season One will fit with the last season as evidence they were planning this whole thing all along.

I think Michael and Walt's storyline was meant to end where it did. They didn't need them at all to progress the other story arcs (Desmond, Charlie, Ben, the Others, etc.), and now that some arcs have converged or ended, they were fortunately able to get Harold Perrineau back and are picking it up again.

The reason why all of this excites me, unlike dswallow who thinks LOST is, well, lost, is because old threads are being resurrected after being left alone to deal with the Others' thread. And who knows, with Michael's return, we might get to see Libby again. The creators have also noted how important Walt is to the mythology of the show.

Does anyone know what Year 4's focus is? Remember, each season has been gradually pulling back, becoming bigger in scope. Year 1 was about the Losties, simple plane crash survivors on a mysterious island; Year 2 was about the Hatch, discovering clues that things were bigger than they were; Year 3 was about the Others, discovering who they were and how they came to be, including explaining most of the infrastructures on the island. Some people have speculated that Year 4 might be about the history of the island and/or Jacob as evidenced in some of the hints of the ancient ruins that we've seen around the island.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I agree with everything else you said, but Michael and Walt definitely made them change their plans. They HAD to get rid of Walt because the kid was growing too fast for the 40-days-per-season timescale of the show. And the Michael actor left because he didn't want to do the show any more; having to ditch Walt just gave them an easy out for Michael.

16. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Even if they only do some flash-forwards, considering that we sometimes don't see even the "regulars" for a few episodes at a time, it's still possible that we won't actually see Michael on the island again. I'm not convinced of that necessarily, but it's a possibility. I still (based on pure conjecture) like my theory that the Jack/Kate scene in the season finale will be the chronological end of the series, and that they'll fill in a lot of what happened between them getting off the island and then.

17. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    You "like" that, as in you predict it (you like its chances), or you "like" it as in you'd be happy if that's what they did? If the latter, I'd have to disagree with you. I think Jack ending up the way he was in the flash forwards at the end of last season would be way too much of a downer for the end of the series.

18. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Well, both I guess. But you have a good point.

19. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    Are you sure of this? I recall an interview with Harold Perrineau where he seemed upset that he was getting written out of the show. I do recall the guy that played Eko wanting out of the show though.

20. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas