Major Collision on Wednesdays

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by ronsch, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...

Advertisements

Once all the specials are out of the way there is now a major collision on Wednesdays that is even worse than Monday.

9:00 PM

CBS - Criminal Minds
    FOX - Lie to Me
    NBC - Life
    ABC - Lost

It also appears that FOX is discontinuing the Friday night replay of Lie to Me.

2. davidb4775

davidb4775 Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Sounds like it is time for you to get a second HD unit (like we did)

3. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Yeah, we watch all four of those as well. Not to mention that there is some off-hour scheduling with 8:00 and 10:00 shows. I've started pairing up shows on the same network to work around that, however. Meaning that on a particular unit, I might have the shows in this order:

Lost
    Life On Mars
    Criminal Minds
    CSI:NY
    Life
    Law & Order
    Lie To Me
    American Idol

Even though ideally, I might prefer to have CSI:NY before Life On Mars, but it creates fewer conflicts this way. Then I just have the list reversed on another DVR.

4. LacyinTX

LacyinTX New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Texas
    The new eps of The Contender and Top Chef are also on Wed at 9pm. Thank goodness those two shows repeat a zillion times a week or two DVR's wouldn't be enough for me. :)

5. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA

Advertisements

Yeah, "Lost" usually re-airs too, but it's sometimes 6 days and 23 hours later. Still, that's one of about 2-3 shows that I watch immediately, if not quasi-live, so it wouldn't matter anyway, unless that were my only option. Thank goodness for 8 tuners.

6. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    Well, actually I have four tuners across three TiVo's so I can handle it. This was posted for those poor souls who might only have one or two tuners.;)

Besides, I dropped Criminal Minds near the end of last season.

7. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    They've had some excellent episodes this season.

8. Rogerallen

Rogerallen New Member

Apr 15, 2008

Lie to Me is moving to 8 pm on 2-18-09 and it's not airing on the 11th so nothing to worry about as long as you have 3 tuners.

9. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Can someone point me in the direction of how to be able to utilize a regular TiVo's two tuners and a Hi-Def's TiVo's two tuners at the same time on the same TV? Is it doable? I got a Hi-Def TV last summer, but I only have a two tuner regular TiVo on it. If I get a Hi-Def Tivo with those Cable Cards will I able to to go to 4 tuners across two TiVo's (not counting the other two tuners I got in the Bedroom on another standard TiVo)....

What's killing me is not Wednesday, but Monday's and the upcoming Friday's.

Monday's you got:
    NBC: Chuck, Heroes
    Fox: House, 24

Friday's:
    SciFi: BSG and others
    Fox: DOLLHouse, Terminator

And I think, Reaper is coming back to CW on Tuesday's. And forget about Idol.

Man, I got to drop some of these shows! OR try not to watch them!!!

10. zand94

zand94 Member

May 20, 2002
    Central PA
    With my 2 TivoHDs I usually do the following:

TivoHD1 - All Fox & ABC shows that I record - 2 tuners 2 networks
    TivoHD2 - All NBC & CBS shows that I record - 2 tuners 2 networks

Now it appears my issue is going to be Thursday Nights with Fox messing things up for me by putting Bones there. Why is this:

Smallville & Supernatural from the CW - those are nearly always recorded on TivoHD1 - smallville is less of an issue than Supernatural is. Every week i have to play around and figure out where to record this

Although I hate to do it, i still have my S2DT analog connected that i use only for news programs and have to program that to record Supernatural.

Also - there's all those USA, TNT, Discovery, History, A&E, SciFi channel shows that come on throughout the week that may conflict with a primetime show - how is this dealt with - those usually end up replaying the same night only a few hours later.

I also setup the season passes in actual showtime order from monday to sunday. This has eliminated nearly all missed shows - just as long as you remember that networks like to move shows around after the new year (fox in particular) and change where that season pass is in the list.

Hope this helps you guys!

Alex

11. zand94

zand94 Member

May 20, 2002
    Central PA
    In order to do what you're wanting you should either have the tivo's being connected to different inputs on the tv or if you have a AV receiver do the same thing. That way all you have to do is change the input that you're viewing and you can do this. I would say that is how nearly all of us that have multiple Tivo's on 1 TV do it. Some have used such things a svideo switches or rca switches if they didnt have the mutiple input capabilities on their receiver or tv.

BTW - TivoHD & TivoHDXL and Tivo Series 3 have 2 tuners - if you dont have the cable cards in them they're pulling analog cable or clearQAM for both tuners. For the TivoHD & HDXL you need only 1 M-Stream Cable Card to allow both tuners to get the digital cable properly. If S-Stream cards are used you need 2 for all 3 types. BTW - Series 3 cannot utilize M-Stream cards properly to get 2 streams - if it's able to utilize the card (somteims it can and sometimes it cant) it will only use 1 stream so you have to have 2 cards in teh S3 no matter what)

FYI - see my other post as to how to deal with the scheduling conflicts themselfs as it appears you're wanting shows that are on the same channel - do the 2 channels per tivo option and then have the cable shows like BSG record on the replay a few hours later

Alex

12. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks Zand94,

I recently got my first cable card for the TV and so I am able to watch some shows in HD, but not record them of course until I get the HD TiVo.

I got Monday's separated by LivingRoom / Bedroom. Forget about watching everything in HD. On Wednesdays with Lost and The Mentalist, I again have to split them.

Maybe, I should just get two HD TiVo... it's high time.

I am already having to use a switch to split the sound off the TV/TiVo to my AV Receiver. My Hitachi is stupid. I got a simple AV receiver... I'll uprgade it eventually too.

Thanks for the help. There is just quite a bit of good TV out there, with a lot of collisions as described.:cool: