magic Jack

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rcmatthews, Jun 20, 2011.

1. rcmatthews

rcmatthews New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I going to start using Magic Jack. I have tested it on my Humax and it downloaded once and failed once. My series 1 has failed twice.
    Has anyone had problems and did you resolve the problem?
    Thanks

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Forget Magic Jack, get an Ooma instead.

3. rcmatthews

rcmatthews New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    What is a ooma?
    I have already paid the $122.00 for 6 years of service. VS $3456.00 through Comcast.

4. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Ooma can be purchased from (among other retailers): Costco, Frys, and www.ooma.com

Here is a brief description about Ooma and the Ooma service (read more about it at ooma.com): It is a VOICE OVER INTERNET PROTOCOL device (and month-to-month service) which works with cordless (and possibly wired) phones in your home. The device costs around $250. Once acquired, (it must work over high speed Internet either DSL or Broadband), you pay only sales tax monthly (about $3.50 per month) to use. A second phone line is available for around $10 extra per month. Ooma does work with 911 calls. Once set up, your computer does not have to be turned on to use Ooma service. Most existing numbers can be ported to Ooma ($39.95 one time fee to do so unless one subscribes to the Premier service for a year which is the extra $10 per month to cover a second phone line). The Premier service offers name and number caller ID info else all one sees is the incoming number. To use the 2nd line, an additional handset made by Ooma is $49.95. No other brand handset is functional with the 2nd line Oooma service, according to Ooma (of course you can use your own cordless phone with the initial line). Ooma also sells a coupler device that enables the Ooma service to work in conjunction with Blu-Tooth capable cellular phones. Ooma enables free outgoing continental domestic long distance calls!!!

Ooma is for residential use only and restricts each household to a maximum usage of 5,000 minutes per month.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Why try?

All TiVos can connect with serial PPP, or a wired or wirelss network connection.

Having MJ, it would be assumed you have some sort of broadband Internet.

6. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Pretty good rundown SPoet. To clarify things a little for the OP...

I recently got my Ooma from Costco for $180. It can also routinely be had for $200 at amazon. :)

You aren't required to purchase their handset to use your Ooma. You can plug your existing cordless phone into the back of the Ooma and it will work normally. However, if you want to use their "instant 2nd line" feature, then you must purchase at least one Ooma handset.

Although I doubt the OP is going to want to switch to Ooma after buying 6 years of Magicjack.

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I was lucky enough to find a first generation Ooma, which doesn't have the monthly taxes. And because I also didn't get Ooma's Premier pay service, my telephone is totally FREE. I paid $180 for the Ooma box and then $40 to port over my number. It has since paid for itself many times over.

My wireless house phones are just like they were before getting the Ooma. Only now I have free long distance anywhere in the Continental US. I get email notifications of voicemails and can check them online or directly from the Ooma box. Also has caller name and number ID.

In my opinion the 2 generation Ooma, the Tela, is a step down because you have to pay the monthly taxes, although some like its better sound quality. But I doubt you can find a 1st generation Ooma that don't have the taxes anymore.