Made the switch, initial impressions of the DISH 622

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nabuch, Aug 22, 2006.

1. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA

Advertisements

In no particular order, here are the initial things I've discovered in the first few minutes of owning this. Since there is one thing I'm sure you don't know yet, let's start with it.

HDMI does NOT overide component. With D if you have two HDTVs connected, and the one using HDMI is on, or in some cases if it is just connected, the other TV will not get a picture. With DISH, you can watch two different HDTVs at the same time, though of course on the same channel. You probably would never do that, but here is a scenario. I use a projection TV for movies, and a 26" for other stuff and non HD programming. If I wanted to go right from watching a movie to the other TV, I had to wait 5 minutes for the projector to completely turn off. In some cases, and before the last soft ware upgrade, you had to keep the HDMI unplugged to watch the other TV, then plug it in to watch it, then unplug it again.

You can watch two different TVs, one standard, on two different channels in dual mode. In single mode you get PIP.

Since there was never much to watch before in HD with D, I can only comment on this about PQ, it is at least as good and probably better.

Someone else had said the buffer is two hours, but I can't find any information on that yet, I don't think its been on that long yet to find out.

They advise turning the unit off when done to better get upgraded software.

If you switch, keep your HR10-250. If you do a rerun setup, and select antenna only, and rerun that, you may find you have channels you didn't know you even had. I can now watch an HD network show, while recording another on the DISH.

Recording something doesn't seem as nice to do, but I'll probably get used to it. You have to find it in the guide first. There's more menus to go through. I don't know about wish lists because I don't use them, but it does do season passes.

I really thought I had more to say, but I've already forgotten a lot. Needless to say, I am glad I made the switch, and I've yet to really watch anything, but I rarely like anything I get right out of the box, so this has really impressed me.

Here's something else I just remembered. DISH gives you some really good line up cards that are sturdy and will last, and are in alphabetical order. D gives you nothing and anything you could get from them is in numerical order. Hey, if I knew the number of the channel I wouldn't need the card.

2. Walter Lambert

Walter Lambert Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Oklahoma City
    Over the past six or seven years, I have eagerly anticipated and purchased each new DVR product from Series 1, Series 2, DTivo, HR 10 and leased Comcast 6412p.3. About a month ago, I leased and purchased VIP 622's from Dish. Maybe it is simply age or I am simply tired, but for the first time I am not anxiously awaiting the arival of the next DVR (HR 20, Series 3, FIOS, or Comcast/Tivo). Although I would like to see a native pass through resolution software upgrade in October, I am completely satisfied with this rapid, reliable, easy-to-use, excellent PQ and sound product. I realize that everyone may have different priorities, reception issues, content issues etc., but this DVR meets all of my expectations. In sum, it is nice to be a satisfied customer.

3. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...
    Unfortunately, they are adding channels so fast the card is out of date. It's also not easy to find the current channel lineup on their site. However, the builtin 'All HD' favorites list on the 622 is always current, and is great. Favorites management on the 622 is one area that is distinctly better than the HR10.

4. tbb1226

tbb1226 TiVo Junkie

Sep 16, 2004
    Royal Oak, MI
    Just wondering why DISH subscribers continue to read and post in DirecTV TiVo forums? I know I don't have time to waste on a DISH Network forum.....

5. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA

Advertisements

I'm posting here because the interest seems to be here. DISH does not have as good a forum as this.

Having been using the 622 a while now there are three minor negatives and a lot of major positives.

It is true you can only have one OTA channel, if you try to put in another on the second one it goes back to the last satellite channel. The guide only goes nine days compared to D's 12. Recordings are easy to do but D is a little easier. You can't do a wish list, you can search for something within the nine days only.

Positives include: actual start and finish times in the guide, not rounded off to the hour or half hour like D does, some great channels,monsters HD alone is worth it, though I haven't tried anything else yet.

In the litle time I've had it I am totally sold, and D would only get me back by offering new movies for free.

Obviously I haven't had time to try everything, but being able to do stuff and having the picture in the corner is great. Once I figured out you have to use PIP to access the other satellite, I was able to do all I could before.

They are adding channels quickly but you can ask to get an updated Channel List, like I already have, and that would be a plus don't you think. D never needs to update theirs.

My only real complaint is that I did not do this sooner. I think as more people find out what is out there they'll be coming over to DISH.

One final comment. I hated the HR10-250 after about one month. That is when the stuttering started, and HDMI's were burning out, and recordings took forever to do, and the remote was slow as slow could be. Of course that could be a problem here to, but I haven't heard any bad reports so far.

So to sum up, I find the switch to DISH, to be an extremely positive action, both for the HD content, and for the 622 itself.

6. jimborst

jimborst Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 30, 2001
    IA USA
    I think many that post maybe Dish people that had a standalone or maybe Tivo people that have went over to Dish.

In my situation, I have been with Dish for many years (when they only had one satellite to receive), I bought a standalone TiVo with lifetime subscription and loved it. Now I got the new 622 and an HD TV, and I really like it. And it sounds like more people here won't be having TiVos since Direct TV no longer uses the TiVo DVRs.

7. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...
    Because many of us (like me) are long-time D* and Tivo users that have switched. Some of these threads get a lot of hits. However, I would agree that some of them tend to drift much farther into D* or non-tivo issues that I would like, even though I'm an ex-Tivoer.

I started a thread a few weeks ago comaring the HR10 to the 622, which I consider relevant. I don't consider relevant pure E* or pure 622 discussions (even though I've been guilty of contributing to some!). Those really should be on dbstalk in the E*/622 groups. I assume the moderators will handle things if they feel a thread isn't relevant at all.

On the other hand, it is very amusing to read the same complaints against E* and the 622 as we see here against D* and the HR10. The grass is always greener, and all that.

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Huh?

Where does D* do this?

I guess that 10:01 pm start time last night was my imagination.

9. desulliv

desulliv Member

Aug 22, 2003
    I'm guessing he's talking about when a movie ends at 10:45, but the block of time allotted to the movie ends at 11:00, so one is often recording 15 minutes after the movie has ended.

10. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I actually kind of prefer that. I set most things to run an extra 5 minutes just in case (Cause everything ends exactly at :30 and :00 lol). Married with Children on FX seems to be the worst I've encountered. I have that set for an extra 30 mins, which I think is ridiculous, but when they start 15 mins later, it's necessary.

11. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    F/X is always a mess for me. I have all F/X season passes hardpadded.