Made for TV movies

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jami, May 18, 2011.

1. jami

jami Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Montgomery, IL

Advertisements

Reading the cancellation thread, Steveknj mentioned 60s/70s TV and it just hit me - do they make "made for TV movies" anymore? They used to be a staple of the 70s/80s, weren't they? I can't think of any in the last 5-10ish years? Have they been out there, but just not on my radar? Not many mini-series, either, that I can think of, on broadcast TV. Are they all going to cable/premium channels?

2. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!!

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    I think Lifetime bought the rights to anything that could be called made for tv movies. ;)

Would "The Kennedys" fall into this category? That's the last I can think of, and I'm not sure what channel that even was...
    Maybe they have all gone the way of cable channels.

SciFi does those Saturday night ones.
    Lifetime does them certainly, although I haven't been sucked into their trap in some time.
    What else?

But you're right, I can't think of any I've seen for basic cable channels.

3. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    There are still plenty of Hallmark movies on CBS (usually around various holidays). The Jesse Stone (I think that's the name) series has had several movies in the past few years on CBS as well (starring Tom Selleck).

I don't seem to recall examples of any channel other than CBS keeping this tradition alive.

4. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    The only ones that come to mind recently for me are those series of "Jesse Stone" movies starring Tom Selleck on CBS.

ETA - What Monica said. :)

5. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston

Advertisements

I wish they would bring back a "Columbo" type show.

But nowadays, it would be all CGi effects and herky-jerky camera movement and hip-hop background music.

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As Belle said, it's called the Lifetime channel now.

7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Viewership for made-for-TV movies and miniseries on the broadcast networks dropped through the floor about 8-10 years ago, and the networks realized there just wasn't enough money in them, so they stopped doing them.

There are still some quality miniseries on cable, like "The Pacific" on HBO last year. And plenty of cable channels have low-quality made-for-TV movies. Some of those already mentioned are Lifetime and Syfy.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    And the Hallmark Channel. I dunno if they have new ones or are just recycling older stuff.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I just saw a headline recently that CBS isn't going to be showing any more Hallmark Hall of Fame movies.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/hallmark-hall-of-fame-ends-on-cbs/

10. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    That's a shame. More the shame that the Hallmark HoF movie quality has been so iffy over the past several year. "Sarah Plain and Tall" and "Promise" come to mind as some of their greats. Lately the classic commercials have been more moving.

Hopefully CBS will continue with the Sellick "Jesse Stone" movies. While he (Sellick) in no way correct for the book character and the stories are even further afield, the demeanor and deliver are right on the mark. Bonus is my wife (and me) enjoying and recalling the scenery of Nova Scotia (her home) where it's filmed.

11. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    My favorites were any that starred Nancy McKeon I miss tv movies. I'm glad Lifetime still makes them.

12. Mike10

Mike10 New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    they started disappearing around the time that Reality TV became really big

I seem to remember tori spelling being in lots of movies for NBC

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Now they go straight to dvd

14. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    There is a new one this Sunday. I had thought that the last one they did (wherein it was said that the town council was going to "clean house" in the PD, and they brought back several of the "bad guys" from previous movies, then ended it with a tribute to RBP) would have been the last one. Good thing I didn't cancel that wish list!

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Lifetime and Hallmark Channel is where you go for movie of the week stuff.

16. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you may be able to watch them on a channel such as Lifetime or Hallmark.

17. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I have "My future boyfriend" sitting in Now Playing. I recorded it because it stars Sara Rue, love her red hair. It was on ABC Family and qualifies as a made for tv movie. I'm not sure whether ABC Family does this frequently or not.

18. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Real movie rentals killed the made for TV market.

Best made for TV movie ever - Duel

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Duel was a made for TV movie? It was great. SyFy has a lot of made for TV or at least straight to video movies.

20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I really like Nancy McKeon too. I saw her recently on some reunion deal (the tvland awards or something?) and she looked amazing. IIRC she is doing 'behind the camera' work now.