(Made for TV?) Movie indentification question

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SnakeEyes, Aug 30, 2011.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    This is going to be pretty vague but I'm wondering if any of you long time TV watchers can provide the film title.

First off, I remember it being on network TV. It might have been made for TV. I want to say it was on NBC or ABC's family movie. Next, I remember seeing it when I was young so it likely aired in 80s; probably mid to late.

Really I don't remember watching the movie other than seeing the final scenes. A man and young girl (father/daughter?) have apparently been on a long foot journey. One of the final scenes is the two on foot going up a hill with the girl stopping and complaining about going on, being tired. My recollection is there was snow or frost on the ground but that may not be correct. The man pleads with her to keep going, not give up, that this hill (mountain?) might be the last, that their destination might be on the other side. He convinces her on and when they reach the top the camera comes up over top/behind them to show that they've made it. Just ahead is a beautiful valley of civilization.

I want to say there was also a sequel but this is something else I'm not sure of.

Any clues? :)

2. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    In what time period was it set? Did it have a post-apocalyptic feel? Pioneer-era?

Maybe a movie about the Donner Party?

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh good question. I'd say pioneer-era.

4. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    True Grit?

5. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    The Day After?

6. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Sounds just like the A Far Off Place, if you change the characters and locale. ;)

7. DavidJL

DavidJL Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Dana Point, CA
    This is more Depression era and was in theatres in the mid 80s so maybe on TV later that decade.

The Journey of Natty Gann

8. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    Now I remember Natty Gann and unless I'm forgetting something that's not it. In Natty it's just the girl and wolf traveling (along with help at times) to reach her father.