Madam Secretary, Season 6 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikeguy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Oct 7, 2019 #1 of 26
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Not sure how I'm feeling about this start to the final (abbreviated) season. I'm missing characters. And at least one of the plot lines seems too familiar . . . .

2. Oct 7, 2019 #2 of 26
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    at this point, i'm not too concerned with the "ripped from the headlines" plot, as they've always been creative with handling these stories within the show.

as far as the cast, i've seen matt on showtime's "the affair," and jay was on "fbi," so it appears the cast is branching out to other projects - i believe a trip to imdb might alleviate a few of your concerns...or, confirm them? :oops:

3. Oct 7, 2019 #3 of 26
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    How is it abbreviated? Does it not have a full season order?
    edit: I looked it up, I did not know this was a 10 episode final season...
    I liked how for the most part they skipped the election...

I had a momentary hope that Nadine was going to come back to be the Chief of Staff.

What characters are you missing other than the daughter?
    edit: OMG I totally forgot about Jay and Matt LOL - hopefully they will re-appear

I thought the shots of the son in the audience at The Colbert Show was going to go somewhere... He looked angry about something...

4. Oct 7, 2019 #4 of 26
    Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Hmmmmm I looked this up too about the cast - - -

According to TV Line, Sara Ramirez (Kat), Sebastian Arcelus (Jay), Geoffrey Arend (Matt), Kathrine Herzer (Alison McCord), Evan Roe (Jason McCord), and Keith Carradine (Pres Dalton) are not series regulars for season 6. The executive producers stressed that every actor was invited to be a part of at least one episode of the final season before the show ends. Sounds like they reduced the season and their budget...

5. Oct 7, 2019 #5 of 26
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I was like, "Huh? 98 days into her first term? Did I miss an episode?"

I am glad they skipped the election, too. I've seen that played out on TV enough.

[edit] as for the cast appearing in other shows, it goes the other way too. Roxanne (wardrobe advisor) is played by Mozhan Marno, who was one of the stars of The Blacklist for the first 6 seasons. Samar Navabi, a Mossad agent working with the FBI.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  6. Oct 7, 2019 #6 of 26
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    We liked it plenty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Oct 7, 2019 #7 of 26
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I miss Jay, Matt, and Kat.

I'm fine with Alison and Jason not being around.

8. Oct 8, 2019 #8 of 26
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I enjoyed the premier. and just because we don't see everyone in the 1st episode of the last season doesn't mean they're not around. Kat & Matt may have stayed at State for all we know. There's still 9 episodes left so who knows.

I liked how they intercut the campaign with the jump in time. It also helps them keep the title.

9. Oct 9, 2019 #9 of 26
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Regardless of whether the story lines are original, ripped from the headlines, or rehashes of The West Wing, this remains one of the "smartest" shows on TV and the acting and production are excellent. We'll be sorry to see it go.

Cainebj and MScottC like this.
  10. Anthjo

Anthjo Member

Aug 7, 2007
    For all the talk of the cast and diminished screen time, Jason and Stevie were featured prominently, Blake and Daisy have been doing their usual bit, and even Chris Petrovski showed up for a minute. Honestly, I found Jay and Matt's stories the least interesting. I won't miss them.

11. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    well - sad to see it go - but that wimped off into the night without much fanfare...

Mikeguy, Howie and Steveknj like this.
  12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yeah, predictable ending and kind of boring. But, since the series really climaxed when she was not impeached, the rest really was anti-climactic.

13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I forgot to pad so I'm missing the last 15m but based on the last couple of episodes I can probably guess the ending.

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The writing for Madam Secretary never was Sorkin-level, but the final season paled a bit further, and especially with the last episode--it's always been the actors that have shored the show up. 45 minutes into the final episode, I wondered how the series could be concluded in the time remaining (I even checked the TiVo Guide to make sure that the episode wasn't 2 hours long and that I had missed that). As stated above, the series just kinda whimpered off into the night.

Interestingly, my local CBS affiliate has been running the series in reruns, and the earlier episodes, to me, are superior to those in the final season.

15. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I didn't care for the finale. Way too "happily ever after."

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think a lot of this has to do with the number of cast members who've left or were written off. Some came back for the finale which was kinda cool though.

Also, another problem was I just never felt the Stevie-Russian dude romance. It always felt kind of forced to me (like what do we do with the Russian character after his story line was over....lets match him up with Stevie!!) So to me I never felt I wanted to see this wedding, and I couldn't care less about it. To end the series on that wedding was really anti-climactic.

Howie likes this.
  17. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I loved the Stevie - Russian dude romance storyline. I was annoyed at all the false break-ups.

I felt the impeachment storyline was false so this season was not the way I would have hoped it would go out.

I was STILL hoping Bebe Neuworth would show up at the wedding.

jeetkunedo, Craigbob and Mikeguy like this.
  18. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    This. I came here to say this.

Overall I liked the finale. I of course wanted more. I'd have liked to see Her go up against Tyne Daley's character more. I thought it was great that Tim got at least a scene with his sister.

I always came for the characters and their interactions the story lines were frequently a bit over the top and ripped to much from the current headlines.

I'm going to miss this show.

Cainebj and MScottC like this.
  19. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    As much as I like Stevie, I thought the finale spent too much time on the wedding. And it was great seeing some of the old characters again (and TIL that Geoffrey Arend -- who played sad sack Matt -- was married to Christina Hendricks!!?)

20. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...