Mad Men - "The Jet Set" - 10/12/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TiVo'Brien, Oct 13, 2008.

1. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...

Advertisements

Well, Don seems to have hit a personal jackpot. On a business trip with Pete, he falls in with a 21 year old woman, Joy, and her father's group of jet setters who travel the world living a responsibility-free, commitment-free life, totally ditching Pete and his work responsibilities in the process. Joy promises him sex, no entanglements, and her father will pick up the tab for the whole thing - she then swims off to make out with another guy. Well, Don, tired of the family man lie he's been living at home, must think he died and went to heaven. He can live the life of a high class hobo. What will Betty and the kids do without him? I loved the symbolism at the end of the show - a suitcase detached from its owner is the only thing that returns to the Draper household after Don's trip. Not only that, the house is vacant, as if to say Don and Betty's marriage and family have been left dark and vacant. Great writing yet again.

My reports of Duck's demise were greatly exaggerated apparently. With Roger Sterling's divorce war upcoming, and Bert Cooper's addle mindedness Duck sees weaknesses at the top of Sterling Cooper and seizes the opportunity to engineer a buyout by his former firm wherein he will end up as Don's boss. Of course, that assumes Don comes to his senses and returns.

Wow, the look of pain on Sal's face when the European came out of the closet in the break room was intense.

Another great episode. What did you guys think?

2. TiVo'Brien

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Alan Sepinwall's excellent Mad Men blog at NJ.com here.

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Don is a weird guy. He tells Pete that this trip is all work and no play and all he does is play. I guess his wish of leaving everything behind him (like he wanted to do with the dept. store client last season) may be coming to fruition or so he thinks. Something tells me that girl is younger than 21 and he could be in a heap of trouble.

Funny (not ha-ha funny) how gay people are perceived as perverts (a belief that unfortunately is still prevalent today). So sad.

Could've sworn they were going to show Kinsey in Mississippi...what happened?

4. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    Was Joy's voice actually Betty's'voice? It sounded very much like Betty's.

5. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

Great episode and again the show takes a turn I never expected.

On top of the already mentioned sympolism, I was thinking of the alternate comparison with the hobo that young Dick met in the first season flashbacks, the one man who, while a poor hobo, had integrity. Now Dick can be a high class hobo but with no integrity.

Nice to have a second identity in your back pocket for those moments when a young rich temptress offers you yet another new life. I think that the girl is much younger than 21 and that the crew at the house are just confidence people. I think there will be a big price to pay later.

When he passed out at the pool when he took the drink, I thought they had drugged him.

6. tbowie

tbowie Member

Mar 29, 2003
    If you read Alan Sepinwall's blog, he thought so as well but evidently it was not.

7. TiVo'Brien

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    There was a point, however, when Joy's words seemed to have been dubbed in. Me thinks the producers were playing a few games with this episode to put us inside Don's head. I really do think January Jones was in and out of that scene at the bar.

8. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    I agree. I listened to it several times, and it sounds SO much like January.

9. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    I'm 100% sure that the long shots of the girls at the bar were January Jones sitting there, later replaced by the blonde with the same hairstyle. Subtle, but cool.

It's no accident that Don's new little friend is named "Joy". Not a subtle reference.

I really enjoyed watching Pete muddle along just fine by himself after Don's disappearance. Pete may be a sociopath, but I really enjoy his character.

10. Casual

Casual Member

Jun 18, 2007
    my observations:

Sterling's new girlfriend looks better in the office than she does in bed.

Duck getting shot out of the sky when he goes for a partnership in the company. Duck then doing his best to undermine his current employer. Duck getting shot down when he asked his old pal for a job.

Joy mimicking all of Betty's mannerisms and voice.

Don getting a taste of his own medicine when he meets ppl who are more mysterious than he is.

Salvatore finding out how much of a bigot his secret crush, Ken Cosgrove, is.

Peggy Olson finally doing something with her hair. Oh, and once again choosing the wrong guy.

11. sallypnut

sallypnut Older than I look.

Oct 8, 2001
    Mountain...
    She was - that was her in 2 of the 4 shots.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have to say, I thought exactly the same thing.. and still think it's a possiblity.

Diane

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    So who was it that Don called at the end and told them his name was Dick Whitman?

I guess I must be blind or something because I just saw all that stuff at the house with the gypsies (so to speak) as another of Don's daliances, but didn't get the impression that that's it, his old life is behind him now and he's not going back.

But then again, it brings me right back to 'Whom did Dick Whitman call'?

14. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA

When he looked at his glass, I thought there was some sort of powder residue on the sides. I believe he was given drugs, but apparently either doesn't care or likes the effect.

15. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I found it very unreal if I was having sex with someone, then have her dad make an appearance while you are still in bed with that someone.

16. smickola

smickola New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    When Christiane (or whatever his name was) came out by the pool with the kids, and was talking about the divorce - the young boy in the short white pants was a dead ringer for the kid who played young Don in the Hobo Code.

17. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Wrong, that was another couple making out, not Joy.

18. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    To my mind that just underscored how completely the value set of this particular ultra-rich set differs from the mainstream. There are no responsibilities, no needs (other than to get to the Caymans often enough to maintain their tax-exempt status), nothing in life except pleasure and the pursuit of further pleasure. Though we do get a glimpse of the downside in Christien's frustration with his (apparently) ex-wife - Joy's older sister perhaps? Or is he her brother?

Overall a great episode, with lots of major balls in the air at the end:

Will Don permanently disappear with this gang of happy-go-lucky hedonists? (My guess: maybe he would if this were real life, but he won't because it's a TV show and if he did it would lose its raison d'etre).

Will Duck succeed in having his former company take over Sterling Cooper and become Don's boss? (My guess: yes, but with complications involving the senior partners).

Will Don and Bets get back together? (My guess: no, because it opens up a new area for Don to deal with - maintaining his relationship with his kids after a divorce. He's great at shutting doors behind him and not looking back, but his kids are the one thing he can't do that to.)

Finally, who was he calling as Dick Whitman? I say it's the woman who showed up and recognized him as a car salesman during one of the earlier flashback scenes. She was clearly inserted back then as a teaser for something to come.

19. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    +1. I thought he had been sucked into a high stakes confidence game. Now I'm thinking maybe the shots were the "uppers" the Kennedy's and their associates swore by in the '60s.

Barbeedoll

20. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    ...aren't you clever. I saw it was murky, but didn't get that it was residue.

Barbeedoll