Mad Men - "The Better Half" - OAD 5-26-13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, May 27, 2013.

1. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ

Advertisements

Poor Peggy, Abe dumps her and Ted goes on like nothing happened between. Betty (January Jones) look hot.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Betty sure lost the weight in a hurry. Back to looking hawt.

Hooks up with Don, too. Not too long ago, you would have thought that was crazy. But seeing them interact while running into each other at the gas station and at the camp, it wasn't too shocking she just left the door open. And not in the least bit shocking Don took the opportunity.

I LOLed when Bobby told his Dad he would get the waitress so he could order a drink. "Is that possible?". Of course, he was hoping it meant a drink drink. Alas, it was not to be. Still, I loved that exchange.

3. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I wish the show would let this version of Betty (and January Jones) appear more often. This is a character I like having around -- I thought she was great in this episode.

Elisabeth Moss was great in that last scene, too. That was brutal.

4. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    The description of the episode on my TiVo said "Joan goes to the beach". That set expectations that were not met.

5. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV

Advertisements

Agreed, that version of Betty is way better than what we've had to endure the past several episodes.

Haha, yeah I thought the same exact thing, it sure was a let down in that regard. But I thought this was the best episode of the season, everyone seems back to their normal dysfunctional ways.

6. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    This version of Betty is happy because her husband is running in an election and she gets to be important again.

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It also said, "Roger suffers from a recurring nightmare" (or something like that). Methinks the show was having fun with us.

8. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    The exchange at the gas station was reminiscent of the time they went to Italy.

Betty gets turned on by men finding her attractive. She even looks good in mom jeans.

9. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    ^^ Not like any mom jeans I have ever seen. I'd be drooling like the attendant.

Mrs. S. couldn't stop laughing at the Peggy-stabs-Abe scene. I am glad they are done - couldn't stand him. I don't believe for a second that Ted has moved on.

Oh Megan, that could have been a letters to Penthouse evening. Have another glass of wine, sweetie.

10. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Not only that, it said something about roger being disturbed by a dream.

That wasn't him. It was his grandson.

11. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I loved this episode. Really liked the Don and Betty bit. Him seeing her at the gas station and not realizing who it was till after the pan up her long legs and cute derriere was great.

It was interesting to see more of the women in pants/shorts/jeans this episode.

And who didn't see that kiss on the couch coming a mile away? Megan should have gone with it!

I also found it interesting that there was some conversation with Don and Betty after the sex. We don't usually see that with him. Or haven't in awhile. I hope she was able to give him a bit of a new perspective.

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    what was the point of the knife on a stick? To stab some guy sneaking in through the window?

13. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    lol...that was a letdown. i expected a bikini clad christina hendricks. :)

so what's up with bob benson? genuine nice guy or brown noser extrodinaire? looking at the sepinwall blog, i see people picked up on conflicting stories from him:

"At Roger's mother's funeral, Bob said he appreciated any gesture after his father died. Last night he told Pete the nurse he was recommending was available after nursing his father back to health."

i think its simply a case of him not wanting to sell the nurse as being available since his father died while in her care (but not necessarily because of her care).

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yes. Or a boyfriend she knew was wrong for her. Let's call it a Freudian stab.:)

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm sitting there thinking "Peggy has a spear? Why does Peggy have a spear?"

I never really cared about Abe but they made him an unlikable jerk in this episode.

I knew Don was going to end up banging Betty when they were civil to each other at the gas station.

Bobby actually got some lines.

I don't know what Peggy expected out of Ted. Just because her relationship went down the tubes shouldn't mean that he'd jump out of his.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked this episode a lot. I'm surprised nobody here picked up on Don realizng that despite sleeping with Betty, she was still with her husband and he can't have her. It looked like because of that, he had an interest in rekindling whatever he lost with Megan. I also knew that he was gonna bang Betty. And I loved how Don joined in with Bobby's song, and I think it was because Betty seemed happy about it.

I think the Bob Benson character is the ultimate brown noser. It seems he's using Joan to get info on the higher ups. He used her twice already for this.

That spear was kinda scary!

Megan and her actress friend...ummm....without speech. But I knew that Megan wouldn't go for it, although I could definitely see her doing it. She's kind of a modern 1960s woman. I just don't think she was ready for it. I think that could be that she still really wants to reconcile with Don.

17. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    But like 24 hours ago he was madly in love with her? Now he gives her that cold stare? That was just weird.

I think Betty's husband prefers her staying plump. Now he has to watch her like a hawk.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    FYP. ;)

Distance. In order to stab someone with a knife, you've got to be close enough to them that they could hit your or take the knife. Put it a couple feet further away and you eliminate that issue (but raise all kinds of others).

I think it's pretty clear (as Sepinwall says) that Benson is a sociopath and he'll do or say anything to get what he's after. In this case, he's after power at the firm, so he's trying to build up a network of people at the firm who trust/value him, regardless of whether that trust/value is built on lies.

I don't think Don wanted to go back to Megan because he couldn't have Betty. I think Don simply continues to go back to Megan because he can't be alone, and at the moment Megan is the only companionship he's got. Although I did find it interesting in that final scene that he simply pulled Megan close and embraced her rather than continuing to make out and take her to bed. Given the conversation he had with Betty in the bed, it seems that to Don, an embrace is much more meaningful than sex. So maybe he is going to try again with Megan. But I'll believe it when I see it.

19. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Is the idea now that Peggy runs off and starts her own firm? It seems they soloed her up in every way rather effectively in this episode.

20. garys67

garys67 Lawn Darts Champion

Jan 12, 2005
    Bob Benson is definitely something other than a world-class brown noser. He may be a sociopath... but from the 2nd or 3rd time I saw him I really got the feeling he might be some kind of corporate or government mole. Time will tell, but I just wouldn't be surprised if "Bob Benson the informant" becomes a key character.