Mad Men "Seven twenty three" (Spoilers) 9/27/09

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TeighVaux, Sep 28, 2009.

1. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

Alright, I'll start. Best episode of the season for me. Seeing the cracks in Don's armor start to appear makes Dick harder to suppress. Don't usually like the fantasy sequences but Archie Whitman appearing in Don's drug induced state to remind me he's just a hillbilly, priceless.

And Cooper pulling Pete's revelation that Don Draper is Dick Whitman as final leverage, don't get no bettern' that. Wonder why Pete has just abandoned that power although, at the time, Cooper made it seem (to Pete) as if it meant something. So he was really just keeping the power of that revelation for himself.

(An aside but I think Robert Morse looks much healthier this season.)

January/Betty just looks so beautiful, so perfect, especially in the bakery scene. Took one of the Junior League ladies to remind her they know she knows she is "adorable" and what it's worth.

Wonder how much Grandpa Gene left Betts? Is she really concerned with money so much that she wanted to sign the contract?

Peggy and Duck, didn't see that one coming down Fifth Avenue. Is he even attracted to her or does he just want to influence her decision. And the comment on how he (in his sobriety) loves the taste of the alcohol in her mouth, cringe worthy. Still can't get over Duck's cruelty last season in abandoning his dog.

Guess Francine, the power mower driver, is still staying on despite mowing off the foot of the English boss.

2. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    What a great episode, so much to talk about and analyze. Commit-a-phobe Don was finally made to commit to a contract with Sterling Cooper - almost willing to give up the Hilton account so he wouldn't have to. But in the end, two kids knocked some sense into him after they emptied his wallet. ;) It's never good when Don goes driving drunk out in the countryside at night. Don *really* hated having to sign that contract. I wonder how long he'll stay mad at Roger for using Betty against him. LOVED Bert's line coming back from the past to grab Don by the cojones: "Would you agree that I know something about you?" Fabulous.

I couldn't believe Peggy went to bed with Duck. There's just no chemistry between them. Did she think it was a career move? Did he think it would change her mind? Maybe they're just lonely and horny.

Loved how the three storylines briefly alluded to throughout the episode played out at the end. I was confused by the opening where Don wakes up somewhere, but then bounces down the stairs at home.

It's interesting to watch the alpha male sparring between Connie and Don. We basically never see Don in a subordinate position like that. That position doesn't sit well with Don, for sure. Speaking of sitting, twice in this episode we see someone's sitting in Don's chair when he walks in. Connie first, then Bert. Don's not used to not being in control, especially in his own office! (Anybody else notice how uncomfortable he was when Connie wouldn't get up and he had to sit in the visitor chair?) Don's power and control were challenged from all directions in this episode. He even got mugged by two kids! :p

I didn't think then and still don't think Don will bed Sally's teacher. She was a little loopy in their conversation. Don doesn't like loopy chicks.

Oh, and Betty, dear, that couch has got to go!

3. cmaasfamily

cmaasfamily New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Haven't watched yet, but that's the funniest sentence I've read in a long time.

4. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    Boy, Peggy sure got handed one to her by Don!

I think Peggy sleeping with Duck is just her way of feeling like she's playing with big boys, giving in to a situation of power as opposed to her hum-drum earlier life. She wants to move up so bad and be powerful in that Man's world she's continuing to compromise whatever to get it.

It was excellent how Don's world just crashed around him, showing just how quickly you can turn from being powerful to weak. Maybe a parallel to Peggy rising in power? Peggy gets cut down by Don, moves to Duck's firm, rises in the ranks to challenge Don as a Creative Dir. head to head in the market?

KD

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

That fainting couch was one big honkin' ugly piece of furniture.

Don didn't have himself a good episode. Connie out-alpha dogged him. Bert dropped the velvet hammer on him. The (probably crazy) school teacher figured him out. Betty jabbed him with the "three year commitment" zinger. He got rolled by two amateurs in a move that he should have seen coming a mile away. And he's got a big honkin' ugly piece of furniture in his living room now.

6. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I'm still trying to suss this episode out, but I definitely didn't care for it as much as the "Man Walks Into an Advertising Agency." The dynamic feels a little bit like the Sopranos used to. Each season would have a handful of truly sensational shocking episodes, but invariably the subsequent "merely excellent" episodes would feel flat, and a little bit of a letdown.

If I have to put my finger on one thing that bothered me this episode, it would be characters acting completely out of character. Seeing Don a little bit off his game and pinned down was okay, but his blowing up at Peggy just didn't seem like him. We've seen nothing in the previous 2 1/2 seasons to suggest this would happen. Likewise, Peggy sleeping with Duck just didn't ring true. Perhaps, in a weak moment, sure. But rather than bolting like she did with the frat kid, she stuck around the next morning. Odd. Another baffling incongruity was Burt Cooper's metamorphosis from avuncular far east loving eccentric goofball, to ballbuster. Don has been without a contract for years. Why now is Sterling Cooper all worked up about it (assuming, of course, that Don could easily get Conrad Hilton to get his lawyers to back down).

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I doubt if Hilton would agree to a binding contract with Sterling Cooper if the only reason he hired them would remain a free agent who could leave whenever he wanted. Hilton clearly showed Don who was the boss in their relationship during the meeting in don's office.

8. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I'm not ready to buy that quite yet. Conrad Hilton has his eye on Don Draper. He implied that Draper set his sights way too low (merely wanting Hilton's business), when Conrad Hilton asked him what he was looking for in the Presidential Suite. Well, now, Draper has Hilton's business, but what else does Hilton have in store for him? It seems as if the three year contract and non-compete clause could only complicate a more lucrative (for Don) relationship between him and Hilton.

The only reason I can think of that would cause Sterling and Cooper to play hardball with Don all of a sudden, is that they sense that he may be ready to bolt, perhaps with Hilton.

9. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 I thought the same thing. So I wonder if Connie even asked for a three year contract or is that something Sterling/Cooper is coming up with (and saying Connie wanted it)?

On another note, I was glad to see the "Dick Whitman identity" theme re-emerge. I almost wondered if it would just fade away and just be an early plot point.

Never mind Bert using it to get him to sign a contract. That piece of info still has a lot of power for both Pete and Bert. What if one of them decided to tell Betty? Or his children (down the road)? Or the IRS? (Whose SSN is he using on his taxes?) Is he claiming to have real Don's Ivy League degree (wasn't he a commissioned officer who went to Yale or Princeton)?

I think Don was shocked to realize that the Dick Whitman issue was still alive. I always thought, during that scene when Pete tells Bert (and Bert says so what), that Bert knew it was a big deal and was pretending it wasn't to wrest that power from Pete.

And let's not forget that real Don's widow (whom DickDon divorced to marry Betts) is still floating around out there?

10. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    OK so has anyone done a Google map search on the address that they showed on Don's contract as he was signing it? I'm not even going to google to see if there was an eclipse the weekend before the date he put on the contract, the writers are pretty good with historical accuracy.

That line Duck used to get Peggy in bed cracked me up.

11. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    Looks like there was an eclipse on 20 July 1963, can't get a whole lot of info on it though.

I remember thinking the line Duck used was corny, but then I remembered it was the 60's so corny lines like that probably worked a lot better than they do now.

12. chocophile

chocophile New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    What struck me was Don's seeming throwaway line on the new living room, move the end table and lamp to the other side of the couch, then the decorator saying, you know, I think he's right. Don strikes me as a man with both incredible sight and debilitating blindness.

13. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    So I wonder how this Don Draper vs. Roger Sterling thing is going to pan out in the end.

14. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Sterling it too important a character for them to sideline. Don and Roger will kiss and make up, or at least go back to their usual working relationship.

Don demanding to Bert that he have no further contact with a fellow partner was 1) unreasonable, and 2) didn't make sense. The only thing that could possibly have set him off was the phone call from Roger to Betty. If anything, he should be angry with Cooper, who more or less blackmailed him.

Did anyone catch the look that Don's new (?) secretary flashed him when he said "hold my calls" prior to his meeting with Connie? Maybe Don finally has a keeper of a secretary!

15. lpamelaa

lpamelaa Member

May 3, 2004
    Los Angles, CA
    Two things here. For Betty, money is good and more money is better. Plus, it's directly related to Don's commitment. Thus her accusation "What, you're not sure where you're going to BE three years from now?"

16. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'm starting to think that Peggy has a thing for Don, and sleeping with Pete and Duck are poor substitutes for that.

Duck's reason is the last you mentioned.

17. lpamelaa

lpamelaa Member

May 3, 2004
    Los Angles, CA
    That Victorian "fainting couch" was pretty symbolic as well. The interior decorator told Betty that the hearth was the center of the home where everyone gathered around. And Betty went out and bought that GIANT monstracity and parked it right in front of the fireplace. Talk about making yourself the center of the universe!

18. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...
    Can someone help me out with the Don / Dick storyline. I didn't pick this show up until last year so I missed that whole storyline. Obviously, I've picked up that Don took someone elses identity but I don't understand who else knows about it and how. Can anyone summarize that storyline for me?

19. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Spoiler Alert for those who haven't seen season 1 or 2. Dick Whitman took Don Draper's identity after the real Don was killed in action in Korea. Years later, the new Don Draper was outed to Bert Cooper by Pete after Pete opened a package meant for Don containing Whitman family materials (photos, IIRC) that included "Don's" picture as Dick Whitman. (The box came from Dick's younger brother who saw a picture of Don in a magazine.) Ever since that revelation, Bert has held this knowledge quietly to himself. Pete has since said nothing to anyone else.