Mad Men - "Red in the Face" - 8/30/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TiVo'Brien, Aug 31, 2007.

1. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Anyone agree with me that Don's secretary, Peggy, was quite a bit bustier last night? I'm not seeing things, am I?

2. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    This is rapidly becoming one of the best shows on television. HBO really blew it when they passed on it. This episode was particularly good.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    oysters,
    too many martinis
    a long walk up the stairs
    revenge on a wiped and vomiting slimy friend = priceless!

and with all of it, Roger doesn't have a clue it's revenge

4. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I took it the other way. When he was sitting on the couch recovering (and after he just spoke to Don), I think his face showed he realized quite well that it was revenge. And that he knew he now had a "formidable opponent" (to quote Colbert:))

5. needo

needo New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I cringed quite visibly every time that little punk pointed that rifle at a secretary.

6. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    Were firearms really taken that casually in the work place in 1960? I know times have changed. Basic firearms safety has one treat every gun as loaded.

7. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Nope you are not. :eek:

8. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I guess another point that I'm not 100% sure on in my opinion, is what is Don extracting revenge for. My personal feeling is that he's extracting revenge for Roger poking into his past, (the dropping G's comment in particular) but I certainly understand others feeling it's related to the whole wife/dinner issue.

Both work fine for plot, but I like the grudge regarding Don's past better.

Diane

9. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I thought it was for both as well as just making a power play in general.

10. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I guess I need to pay attention more. I didn't pick up that it was revenge. If it was, it was well played.

*edit* I completely forgot that Don payed off the elevator operator.

11. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    As with all shows, it's a matter of taste. I watched it, I tried to like it, found it unbearable and deleted my SP.

12. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Additionally show creator Matthew Weiner confirmed in NPR interview that we are seeing exactly what was described in todays "Weekend Edition" on Sunday http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14124179 regarding the bullet bras
    (he also didn't go to spoiler territory)

Diane

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    HBO had a chance at this show but chose the steaming pile of horse turd that was John From Cincinatti? Someone's head should roll.

14. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Wow - I don't remember that happening at all.

When (timewise) in the episode did that occur?

15. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    There's a scene where the elevator door opens and the guy (i forget his name) steps off carrying his rifle. This is very soon after we see him getting yelled at by the wife for trading in the chip&dip set for it. So presumably he's brought the rifle back in to work a second time so he can return it.

As he walks off, Don (who was waiting for the elevator) steps inside and he pulls out a wad of bills. As the doors are sliding closed, he says to the operator [paraphrasing], "I want to ask you something".

16. TiVo'Brien

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Cool, thanks. :up:

17. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I think this is the definition of thread crapping. :rolleyes:

I really covet this show...I don't want to watch it when I record it because I don't want it to be over. I am trying to delay the inevitable.

Matthew Weiner has got a hell of a future in front of him. I look forward to his stuff as a writer and producer in the future.

HBO is idiots for passing on this.

18. TiVo'Brien

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I felt this exact way about season 6.5 of The Sopranos. Every minute I watched was another minute of new Sopranos I'd never have again. :(

As for Mad Men, I love it, too. My only hope is that it catches on more than I perceive that it has. Even around here, there's not a new episode thread every week, which tells me the show's appeal isn't as high as it might need to be to keep it from getting canceled. :(

19. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    No, it was brilliant :rolleyes: on HBO's part, because I never would have seen it, as I do not have HBO. :D

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I believe it may just have been the angle of the camera.....but, I've been wrong many times before.... ;)