Mad Men *no spoilers please*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JLucPicard, Jul 13, 2008.

1. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....

Advertisements

OK, I've read some posts here that people thought this was a good show.

I've downloaded the first seven episodes and watched the first four. Yes, they get the period aspects right. Yes, a lot of what they show is accurate (kids climbing around in the car, parents slapping other people's kids if they think they need it, pregnant women smoking/drinking, etc.).

My question is - does this ever really get any good? I'm not that interested in the "period" aspects, though they need to be there and all, I just don't get nostalgic over it or anything.

This just seems to me like episodes of The Unit that have too much focus on the wives and there just isn't much going on.

Is this all that this show is? Or does something actually happen at some point? Right now, I just feel I'd be wasting my time watching any more of it. Is there anything that happens with the show that will change my mind???

2. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I watched the entire first season and I would recommend you watch the rest. I am looking forward to the new season starting in a few weeks.

To me, it's not just plot driven but there is a lot of subtext too that I find enjoyable. I think there will be more developments that help show the subtext too.

3. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I don't think you're watching it the right way. Especially if you are comparing it to the Unit because I can go ahead and tell you that they never invade a small Afghan village.

It's a character study and the way people interact with each other and the dynamics of how what they say and how they interact affects their lives and work. I thought the whole season was genius and kept consistency along the way. Give it a couple more if it doesn't grab you quit watching it no need to waste your time on something you don't enjoy. I had the same reaction to BSG after I got through the first season I did not get the hype so I quit watching.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Just to clarify, I in no way expect it to be anything like The Unit. It was just the comparison of how boring people find The Unit when it focuses mostly on the wives.

I really have no particular interest in the advertising business, nor am I especially enamored about the "period" aspect, so I'll likely quit watching. At a minimum, it has slid WAY down my watch list at this point.

Thanks for your thoughts, folks!

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

FWIW my opinion was the pilot was stunning, and the fact they kept it all that high a level for the series stunned me, and then there was the finale...wow..

However I think if one didn't like the pilot, then it really doesn't change gears, and it's not really a show for them.

Diane

6. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    It's just my opinion, but maybe in 5 years or so you'll gain the maturity to appreciate the importance of the focus on the wives of The Unit (since you've already missed the bigger picture implied by the title), and then you'll be in a better position to appreciate the drama of Mad Men, the extraordinary societal shift that occured in that era, and its effect on the characters. Or not.

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It's rather rude to equate boredom with lack of maturity. One can appreciate the hell out of certain scenes and still be bored off one's arse while appreciating said scenes.

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Dude, I'm 47 years old and personally, I DO appreciate The Unit when the wives are featured (in fact, it's one of my top five shows) - I was trying to go with some kind of 'similar' comparison that people on this board may have already been familiar with! That aspect of the show is not lost on me - that example was taken from feelings of other posters - as an EXAMPLE.

I guess I'm missing the aspect of my post that warranted a denegrating personal attack. And yes, I did see that you prefaced it with "It's just my opinion", so thank you for your opinion, but jump off - you don't know me at all.

Thanks, Drew - well said, sir!

9. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    Isn't 50 the new 30?:D

10. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    If you didn't like the first four episodes, you aren't going to like the rest of them.

11. numb and number

numb and number New Member

Mar 7, 2004
    phoenix
    Maybe, but for sure 20 is the new 6.

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I agree; many have slammed The Unit for it's varied focus which includes the wives. Maybe I'm getting in touch with my feminine side, but I appreciate that aspect of The Unit, too.

13. dcehl

dcehl New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    After watching the first 3 or 4 ep's I posted a question on TC like - "am I enjoying this show because I've been told I'm supposed to like it, it's great or yadda, yadda". But like others have said - it's a character study. Now that I know the characters, it's like I've established a relationship with them - I'm drawn in/intrigued and I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Yes, I do love the 50's and early 60's but it's so much more than that - let the show grow on you and I think you'll end up loving it (kinda like Big Love!)

14. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    Apparently you've been watching Real World, too...

15. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    I think it was around the 6th episode that I really got hooked. Give it a few more

16. Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

May 1, 2005
    I don't recall which episode it was... but there is a scene where little kids are playing in the living room and one walks into the kitchen with a dry cleaning bag over his head, and mom says, "You kids quite down in there." ... and the kid leaves. Hilarious.

17. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    There is no comparison between this and the Unit. The unit is completely silly and insulting to the military with the melodrama about everything. Mad Men does a simply suburb job of painting a picture of a specific time and circumstance. I love mad men and loath the Unit. That has nothing to do with my maturity.

18. numb and number

numb and number New Member

Mar 7, 2004
    phoenix
    No, I haven't. But, I've been watching their behavior, ability to be fooled, lack of analytical skills, and poor choices in the real world.

19. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I adore Mad Men.. and I have no maturity...
    :up:

20. dcehl

dcehl New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Weaselboy - I remember that scene quite well - 'cause I use it to peak people's interest in the show - the best part of that scene is that the mom is smoking with the little girl playing and she has a plastic dry cleaning bag on her head - the mom tells her she'll be in big trouble if the clothes that were in the bag are wrinkled!

As a parent, I really love those family scenes - the pregnant neighbor smoking and pouring 2 martini's. The wife sleeping in a full nightgown (pleasssse show some more skin this upcoming season!) and the husband doing close to nothing. Oh, and I can't forget the mom (Betty) walking outside with the shotgun and shooting the birds!

Bring on the next season!!