Mad Men being threatened with cancellation?! 5th season won't air until 2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bierboy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    WTF? :eek:

AMC threatening to cancel if Weiner doesn't agree to cast cutting and trimming a few minutes per ep...

I would think this could be worked out...

2. questors

questors Member

Jun 4, 2009
  3. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    MTF'er. What a bunch of Fing morons. Let's all go out and kill the golden goose. Viewers have a crappy memory and little patience. The seasons are short already and now the gaps are idiotic. I think Weiner needs to change his name to Wiener.

4. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    Or AMC to Absolutely Moronic Company. He created the show, it's a huge success, and they presume to tell him that he needs to cut some characters? THEY'RE the ******bags here.

5. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    I never stuck with the Sopranos after the long hiatus they had, and I may not come back to Mad Men either.

If AMC keeps serving up Breaking Bad they'll be fine with me.

6. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I have to admit, I really felt the ex-wife was a superfluous character last year. They must have plans for them to get back together.

7. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    BRING BACK RUBICON, YOU B@#%ards.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Last season was not the best...IMO. Still would miss it though. Hopefully it'll get back on track.

9. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Time to start selling "Burn in Hell, AMC" t-shirts....

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Bring back Remember WENN!

11. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I don't put all the blame on AMC. Wiener negotiated a $30 million payroll for himself, making him the highest paid showrunner on basic cable, for a show that isn't generally that highly rated. Each Episode is longer than 90% of the other shows on basic cable in running time, leaving less room for commercials. If he wants that $30 million, AMC's gotta make that money somewhere. Cutting superfluous cast, adding commercials and/or product integration are logical areas this could be done. If I remember, Mad Men already did a fair amount of product integration.

12. SteveInNC

SteveInNC Active Member

Jun 23, 2005
    RTP, NC
    Another reason why they likely authorized a fifth season rather than canceling: five seasons seems to be the magic number to get a series into syndication, where serious extra money gets made.

13. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I would also put some blame on AMC for agreeing to that.

14. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ilana mention that she thought MW had previously said that he had a 5 season arc in his head.

Maybe he wanted to end the show after this season & AMC didn't?

15. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    That's not a big consideration here. MM only has 13 episode seasons to start with. It would take 8 seasons to come close to a normal five year run for a regular 22 season run on the networks.

16. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    A stupid idea to start a show with a defined arc that's locked in stone. Not a bad idea to understand where you want to go but stopping for no specific reason just seems like an artifice to great some sense of "specialness" where there isn't any.

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Mad Men is a darling of the critics but I don't think it pulls in boffo ratings or dollars. If AMC says to trim a little fat then trim a little fat.

We'll probably get a reality show of people dressing up and acting like it's the 60s instead of Mad Men this year.

18. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    AMC is now saying MM will air in March 2012.

19. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Doesn't mad men generally pull in 2-2.5 million viewers? That puts it among the higher-viewership shows on cable, I would think.

20. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think a lot of shows run past their prime. Having a story arc that ends means you tell your story, and not drag the series out an extra 2-3 seasons with a paused plot. I think they should let him (Weiner) finish his arc, and if AMC wants to continue the show let him take an Executive Producer roll and let someone else run the show. Unless of course the end of the arc means the downfall of the main character where continuing the story is impossible.