Mad Men 8/29/2010 "Waldorf Stories"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by rrrobinsonjr, Aug 30, 2010.

1. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA

Advertisements

How painful would it have been to see Don's entire lost weekend? When that waitress called him Dick I let out a "ouch".

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    At least Don got laid twice.

As nasty as Betty was, she was right. Glad she was only on the show for a couple of minutes, though.

Was the jerk that Peggy got stuck working with featured on the show before? I don't remember such an obnoxious, lazy and full of crap character. Peggy reduced his ego to the apparent size of his johnson.

What does Roger Sterling do for SCDP? Just schmooze?

3. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    He hires people like Don Draper.

4. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    That was my comment as well.

I was nice to see some backstory on how Don ended up at Sterling Cooper. Didn't think he would be so much like Jane's cousin.

5. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004

Advertisements

This was the best episode in a long time. Peggy was fantastic.

6. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    He's an accounts manager. "Schmooze" is one thing they do.

7. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Pete Campbell sure is putting the screws to everybody lately. First it was his FIL, next Roger Sterling, now Ken Cosgrove. I guess Pete's trying to earn the respect he feels he's never gotten in the past.

Glad to see Kenny's back, but I have to wonder where they're going to put all this new staff if Freddie Rumsen doesn't even have an office. Where are Ken and the new super short guy cousin going to work, not to mention the lazy idea guy with the small johnson? We've seen a lot of staff growth lately. Speaking of overhead, I'm getting to like the Lane Pryce character a lot more. He's actually worth quite a bit to the company - one of the few 'adults' in the whole firm.

I was kind of shocked when Don went to bed with a brunette, and woke up with a blond. I thought I was seeing things. I thought for sure Don was going to totally blow it at the Life cereal pitch meeting. Sort of like watching somebody juggle eggs.

Poor Peggy, she has to work with Neanderthals and doesn't get the respect she deserves from Don or other male ad men. I wonder where her frustration will take her?

Was that a very drunk Duck Philips at the Cleo awards making an ass of himself? It sort of looked like him from the side.

8. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
  9. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    The Salon review (http://www.salon.com/entertainment/...her_havrilesky/2010/08/30/mad_men_recap_aug29) says:
    I think the lunch was a scheme; Don got Roger so hammered that he wouldn't remember anything, then showed up the next day claiming that Roger had offered him the job. Roger couldn't tell that Don was lying, so he went along with it.

Edit: Sepinwall says:

10. TiVo'Brien

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Loved the look on Don's face as the elevator doors closed. :p

11. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that the episode where SCDP wins its CLIO aired the same night as the Emmys.

Odd little cameo from drunken Duck at the awards show.

With Ken being brought into the fold, I hope the new art guy's obvious incompatibility with Peggy leads to the eventual return of Sal.

12. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I got a laugh when Don told Danny to tell Mrs. Blankenship that he was hungry and we hear her yell "I don't work for you!" or something like that.

13. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Yeah, I figured that was a setup. Funny, but I'm guessing we're really going to tire of Ms Blankenship soon.

14. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Someone's gotta provide the wisecracks! Seriously, it's pretty clear that his only role there is to coddle the Lucky Strike guy.

15. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I can't figure out how to include the Sepinwall quote here, but he clearly didn't see Don's smirk and sideways glance as the elevator door closed. Don played Roger, and made up the job offer.

16. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I have a feeling evil Pete maneuvers it so she becomes Ken Cosgrove's secretary.

17. lpamelaa

lpamelaa Member

May 3, 2004
    Los Angles, CA
    I loved Pete lording it over Ken at the end. Lane is becoming a great character. What an awesome scene where he lays it out for Pete that Roger's slipping and that more accounts are needed. "If you're done with your temper tantrum on Monday, you can join us for lunch." I love that Pete finally realized he was a partner and would be Ken's boss.

Were we supposed to see great similarities between Don badgering Roger for a job and Pipsqueak (was his name Danny??) badgering Don? Does that mean that Pipsqueak could turn out to be a good hire??

When "Jerk Creative" tells Peggy to stop gloating for proving she's a smug b&!*h, I love that her expression became MORE smug. Go Peggy!

And I don't think I ever want to see the details of Don's lost weekend. Ouch!

18. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Joanie looked even more amazing in the flashback!

19. TiVo'Brien

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Agreed! :up:

20. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Her name rhymes with a female body part!