Mad Men 8/2/07 Marriage of Figaro

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 13
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I'm surprised I'm making the first post. The episode literally brought me back to the 1960ies, with the use of a Church key to open a can of beer. The one riveting moment was seeing Helen, either a single mom or a divorcee, and how stigmatized she was. Reminded me of a divorcee growing up in the 1960ies, with the Catholic Church leading the way by barring this woman from receiving the sacraments. Very attractive woman. This episode did bring up some painful memories.

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 13
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I thought Don was going to at least chew that guy out for smacking his son in his own house, but he didn't. What a time...

One thing I didn't quite understand was how unsurprised everyone seemed about the head of the household just leaving the party and not coming back. Where did they think he was going?

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 13
    ironchef

ironchef Smiley Averse

Dec 27, 2002
    This show is geting it right, down to the littlest details (church key on the string in the garage). The overeducated housewives are scarily sad.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 13
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Kind of a slow episode, but I was able to enjoy it nonetheless because of all the period details. Don Draper is really turning out to be a selfish jerk now (as if he wasn't already).

I couldn't figure out why the store owner didn't kick the sleeping store clerk.

I got a kick out of the walking divorced lady and how confused the other women were over why she walked.

Loved the pregnant woman drinking and smoking. Oy! :p

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 13
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I liked the slapping other people's kids. That needs to be brought back!! :p

Did I catch that the military aquaintance on the train call Don, 'Dick Whitman?'
    Stolen Identity and PTSD? Explains a lot.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 13
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    "Last time I saw one of those, I think I was throwing a grenade into it."

I wish the show would focus more on the workplace, like it did in the first episode. I feel like as soon as it gets out of there the brakes go on fast. The nostalgia is certainly interesting but I'm not sure I want to watch a soap opera set in the late '50s/early '60s.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 13
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I didn't really understand that. Don Draper didn't seem to either. :confused:

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 13
    c3po33

c3po33 New Member

Sep 1, 2002
    South FL
    During the war his name was Richard 'Dick' Whitman.
    Why he changed his name is the big mystery I guess?

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 13
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Exactly. I love that they waited until the third episode to let this nugget drop.

The reasons behind it and the inevitability of others finding out could get very interesting.

10. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    They gave clues about a troubling experience in the military back in the first ep when Don was looking at (his?) a Purple Heart medal in his office and then as he was napping you could hear faint combat sounds.

11. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    New York
    I think he understood all too well. Draper was sufficiently evasive in his responses... He said only that he lived "upstate", didn't reciprocate by offering a business card of his own to the *army buddy* and was vague/noncommittal answering all the guy's questions.

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Seems like every adult male on this show is a total jerk. Kind of hard to keep an audience when 90% of the cast is unlikeable.

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Just watched this ep. That wasn't Don or Don's kid in that scene. It was someone else's who was at the party. It was the kid's father, though, who came up right afterward, but I'm not sure he actually saw the guy slap his son.