Mad Men 4/27/14 "Field Trip"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by zordude, Apr 28, 2014.

1. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

I am not thrilled with the fact that the partners offered Don a deal to come back that clearly has the intent of making him fail and allowing them to absorb his shares without compensation. He should have told them to go screw and made them buy him out.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I tend to agree, unless the offers from other firms pay WAY less and don't offer an opportunity to be a partner.

The conversations about getting a computer were amusing. Harry's office still baffles me.

Betty is all sad and thinks Bobby doesn't love her because he traded away her sandwich? That's just something kids do. It seems pretty clear Bobby was happy to have his mom on the field trip.

3. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    The whole Betty story sure hasn't done much for her character development except to say she is one lousy momma. I hope they go somewhere more interesting with that or just simply off her.

Regarding Don and the deal, I kept feeling like they were going to send him to a field office like LA or Detroit to keep them out of their hair. As it is I think Don took the deal because he thinks he can become valuable again and make Lou look like an idiot.

So what does Bert do anyways besides sitting around and voting and telling people to take their shoes off. At least Roger has some clients now and again.

You'd think people would vote them out!

4. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Was the offer from that other company so bad that Don would agree to the deal or is he just that enamored with SCP (No longer D)?

5. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town

Advertisements

I think Don just wants to make right with the firm and renew his sense of purpose. He was good at his job when engaged.

6. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I've never hated a character on a show more than I hate Betty.
    "Why do they hate me?"
    I was yelling reasons at my TV. She reminds me of my own mother, which doesn't help.

7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I kept wanting to FF through the Betty scenes because they were so boring, but I was sure they'd have some kind of payoff, so I stuck with them. But in the end, they were totally pointless and just made her look even worse to viewers than she previously did. She's seriously going to starve herself and make Bobby feel guilty about it just because he wanted some candy?

As for Don, he's clearly hung up on SC&P, almost like a jilted lover that keeps trying to rekindle the relationship. That he took such a one-sided deal clearly crafted to make him fail is proof of this. However, it's possible that the changes Don has gone through the last few months may allow him to actually comply with those requirements, whereas the previous Don never could have. Will be interesting to watch.

Why was Peggy such a beyotch to Don? I don't remember what happened between them.

8. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Because Don "made" Ted go to California.

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I wondered the same. I thought she would be happy to see Don. She clearly doesn't enjoy working for Lou.

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought Ted used the opportunity of going to California as a way to disentangle himself from his affair with Peggy.

11. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    That's what I remember! I think Peggy is pissed at Don because he did not have her back on a few situations and she is just generally pissed these days.

12. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    He did, which is why I put "made" in quotes.

13. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Peggy's losing her office isn't she?

14. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    At first I thought Don should have told them to pound sand and go work elsewhere, rather than report to Lou.

Today I think he'll just be so good at his job it will render moot any idea of "reporting" to Lou the Immense Tool.

15. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I think they said he'd be getting Lane Price's old office.

16. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    It was well known in the office that Don wanted to go to California.
    Ted figured out he didn't want a future with Peggy.
    Ted begged Don to let him take the Calif. position to get some distance from Peggy.

Peggy obviously didn't know about Ted's request, so she thinks Don moved Ted to Calif. just to keep them apart.

She went from being a big shot at her agency, with the potential of a husband, to being back under Don's control and now Don made her husband go away all in a very short time.

17. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    I believe Peggy is in Lane's old office.

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    These two things were quite deliberately paired up in this episode, I think. Thematically, the same thing was happening in each. Both Don and Betty were put in situations they didn't want to be in -- Betty going to the farm, Don put on display at the agency -- that were perfectly set up to test their characters. Would they react as history would suggest they would, with complete self-absorption? Betty thinking only of herself, Don imperiously rejecting his colleagues' treatment of him? Both are seeking approval: Betty from Bobby as his mother, Don from the firm as a colleague. Even the editing played up the parallels, as we cut quickly from one story to the other and back again.

Betty, of course, snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. Her gauntlet is to ride a bus, drink cow milk, and sit on the ground for lunch -- and she can't manage it. Don's is basically the office equivalent of that: SC&P has changed so much since he left that he might as well be walking onto a farm himself, as back into that office. His gauntlet is the indignity of sitting in the creative room on display all day, and then being presented with a humiliating offer from his peers. And yet: he snatches victory from the jaws of defeat, and he accepts it.

This has to be considered great news for those who complain that the show is tired because nothing -- especially Don -- ever changes. Maybe the old Don Draper will show back up. But at least we're seeing evidence, from his confessions to Sally and now Megan, and his agreement with these working terms, that Don is realizing the need to change who is is. The fact that we see, in parallel, Betty being the same person she ever was, and miserable for it, only reinforces this.

19. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    My favorite part of the episode was the teacher.

20. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Just like Peggy, she no longer had Playtex.