Macroblocking and RS errors Tivo Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hdog, Nov 11, 2017.

1. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Tivo Roamio Pro started macroblocking on all channels and all 6 tuners Friday (11/11/17) night. Signal level 72-75%, SNR 29-30 and RS Uncorrected and Corrected errors incrementing by thousands during macroblocking. Saturday morning signal came back to ok to varying to macroblocking about every 4 minutes. Intervals increased to good picture up to an hour. Then back to macroblocking for over an hour. Signal level on good picture solid at 76%, SNR still 29-30, and very few RS Corrected errors and obviously no RS Uncorrected errors; macroblocking data same as Friday night. Now (noon) stuck on macroblocking.
    My question is "is there any tivo circuit that could cause this?" I assume there is some distribution circuit to the tuners; could that account for this problem? Comcast comes tomorrow. I guess I want them to increase the signal to 80-99% at least. Obviously they will check my single splitter and drop and connections. Should I expect this has to be a coax connection/Comcast signal problem? Any other suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

2. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Forgot to say playing back old recordings works fine, and streaming works fine. Only Live TV is the problem.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I've had TiVo's that putting an attenuator on the incoming cable line was required in order to receive a good picture.

75% doesn't seem like that is the same issue, but you might keep it in mind.

Possibly try adding a splitter at the TiVo input and see if it improves?

-KP

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Old recordings are good implies something broke. It may be your tap, which should be a quick fix. A signal level of 90% would be a good goal.

Does your cable modem has a status screen? Maybe it has errors too.

5. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Cable modem is Surfboard and I looked at the logs tab and didn't see any messages that indicated errors. Any other place to look at the modem? It worries me that my modem seems good and the tivo is bad. I did remove the modem during a macroblocking interval and it caused no change.

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Your modem should have a page showing Upstream and Downstream signal levels.

-KP

7. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Downstream SNR all channels 33dB/power level all 2dBmV
    Upstream power level 44/45/42dBmV

8. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Started streaming a Netflix show and modem correctable codewords are increasing (have to refresh browser to see this) and uncorrectable are increasing a little. So I guess this indicates some errors with the modem.

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I think that SNR level is below what your cable provider thinks is good.

They might replace your drop from the tap. Hopefully they can run RG11?

When you say 'single splitter', how many ports on it?

Comcast may also install a 'unity gain' amp instead of the splitter. That could cure it, too.

-KP

10. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Splitter has two ports (installed by Comcast), one directly to Tivo Roamio, the other directly to the modem.

11. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    How far from modem to the tap in the yard? Like in linear coax feet?

-KP

12. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Distance from Tap to Modem: Probably 70-80'

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The 33dB could be higher, but the moving errors are bad. As for specs -> http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6183-Cable-Signal-Levels

My money is on a bad tap. I had one replaced a few months ago. The tech told me to expect it to fail after a year. Job security?

One of the tabs for your modem should show you how long it has been running. I power cycle mine every month.

kpeters59 likes this.
  14. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    Remember the downstream channels for the modem operate on different frequencies than the TV channels do but an SNR of 33 for the modem and a SNR of 29 on some TV channels indicate a major problem with the signal coming to your home.
    Did you have some inclement weather in your area especially rain? Water in your drop or the tap will cause immediate issues as it will short out the signal and cause these type of issues. Comcast needs to do a truck roll to inspect the system outside your home. Also check with your neighbors that are sharing your tap to see if they have similar issues with their cable boxes. If there is neighbors with channel issues that are on other taps then this will indicate a more widespread problem. Could be and amp going bad, squirrel chewing a hole in the line, leak in the line splitters, node issues, or node power supply issues.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Really good Comcast tech arrived. I was his fourth call in my area for the same problem. He's been trying to tell Comcast it is a 'main line' problem. He saw significant errors on my drop. He hopes that a main line tech will find and fix the problem by today. Seems like Comcast has no correlation mechanism to zero in on trouble spots. I'll wait and see. He knew it had started since Friday (guess he heard that from the other customers since his company doesn't seem to know that yet). Shaking my head.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  16. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Called 1800-XFINITY. They see an outage has been reported for my area and they've been working on it since this morning. So, some good news. Although no coordination with the home tech who is wasting his time and knows it.

JoeKustra likes this.
  17. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    Problem resolved about 6PM Sunday. Tech who fixed it called me. Bad amp. Old amp was sizzling. Affected about 600 people! Even though the problem started at 7:30am Friday, not many called in until Sunday. And if the amp had failed completely, it would have triggered an 'outage' alarm. But it was only failing such that it sent an unwatchable signal. :) Comcast wasted a lot of truck rolls.

JoeKustra likes this.