Mac Users lack Tivo togo support

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tonyf3, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1 of 2087
    tonyf3

tonyf3 Mac User since '84

Oct 11, 2003
    CT & NYC
    Unbelievable! Have the development team take a field trip to an Apple retail store and then tell me why the finest most powerful Media platform in the computer business is basically being ignored by Tivo. There's no time line or even a suggestion of a release date. Working hard doesn't cut it.
    AAC file support was supposedly being worked on hard for over a year now.

Look, the Cable companies are now offering set top boxes for $9.95.
    Tivo needs all the users it can get and they basically are abandoning the Mac community.

All this build up, and it's....sorry Apple. Windows Media 10? Have a nice day?
    We're working hard on that...someday. What!!!!

Newsflash: Broadcast networks are using Quicktime as a media standard for delivery to multiple platforms. Hello!

You've got to come up with something better than market share BS. Try telling that to BMW & ipod owners.

2. Jan 4, 2005 #2 of 2087
    SavMan

SavMan Angry Mac User

Jul 16, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Agreed. Absolutely unacceptable. Mac users make up a sizable number of TiVo users, and for them to forsake us like this is simply abhorrent. I just bought a new TiVo for my family and convinced my friend's family to buy one for Christmas, there is a TiVo cling in my apartment window and on my car (along with an antenna ball). This sort of crap is making me rethink my loyalties. It may be a long while before I suggest a TiVo to someone again, rewards program be damned.

3. Jan 4, 2005 #3 of 2087
    Duvs

Duvs New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Maryland
    Let me know how it works out with the cable company box when you try to:

a) Play music or view photos on it that are stored on your Mac

b) Get any kind of recorded content off of it

The simple reason is that the cable companies may never provide this kind of functionality. I don't know about you but I wouldn't even attempt to install anything on my PC developed by Comcast, even their cable modem "install" CD breaks more PC's than it helps and all it is doing is modifying some IE registry settings and installing their crap support utils.

I believe Tivo to be smart enough to be doing the only thing it can do without the CableCard 2.0 spec, and that is to add mobility and multimedia features that the CableCo's can't touch for a while. Then once CableCard 2 is done and I can do OnDemand and PPV and truly use my Tivo as a replacement for by Cable Box, that will be a marketable device.

I know it's been said a million times but Mac's are about 4% of the computing world, since TiVo is a multimedia company it's possible their user base is more like 10 maybe even 15% Mac. Just have a little patience, they have publicly commited on their announcements to providing a Mac version of TTG. I'm also sure once it is out it will be superior to our Windows version in every way possible just like the last release.

Duvs

4. Jan 4, 2005 #4 of 2087
    Unix_Beard

Unix_Beard New Member

Dec 22, 2003
    Sure, cable companies can't provide the HMO functionality but Apple IS today with iTunes and the Airport Express. itunes and iPhoto are already completely shareable within a house LAN and its just a matter of time until things completely converge.

One of the things that brought me to Tivo rather than ReplayTV was their apparent agnostic view on computer platforms. Once a company chooses one platform over another, I begin to question their loyalty to me as a customer.

5. Jan 4, 2005 #5 of 2087
    SavMan

SavMan Angry Mac User

Jul 16, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    TiVo has committed NOTHING to the Mac release. They say they are working hard, but give absolutely no idea of how long we'll have to wait for it. Indeed, they make no promise at all of ever getting it to us.

Really, I don't know if it's worth even hoping, TiVo was stupid enough to go with WMA format. You think MSFT had something to do with this? Maybe their particular brand of business ethics helped out? And really, is that the sort of image TiVo, a corporation almost entirely spread through grassroots advertising by users, wants to align themselves with?

I'm thoroughly disgusted with this entire development. I heard the announcement on my 6am news broadcast as I was drifting off to sleep, so I literally *jumped* out of bed to get online. Only to find out that TiVo has shown they have no sense of loyalty to what I can only presume is its most dedicated group of customers. We Mac users are tenacious and used to proselytizing for our platform, and I've never heard stronger testaments to TiVo's usefulness than I have from Mac users. We'll see how that goes now that TiVo has turned its back on us.

P.S:
    Photos are useless to me, I'm better off using my desktop or laptop anyways. For $100, I can get an AirPort Express, which will function as a full wireless router, bridge, adaptor, and also connect with AirTunes. This will give me better sound (direct to my stereo), AND play the AACs (DRM'd or otherwise) that TiVo's been dragging their feet on for so long. This is less than the cost of either of my TiVo boxes. Add $9.99 a month for any of the Cable or Satellite PVRs (all of which have Dual Tuners, mind you) and I have a much better value, don't I?

Of course, I wish I could just use my TiVo. As a Mac user, I'm used to paying a premium for superior ease-of-use and service, as well as to reward innovators rather than also-rans. But it seems I'm no longer considered worth TiVo's time.

Well, I can't do that anyway, now can I? :thumbsdown:

6. Jan 4, 2005 #6 of 2087
    VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    Ummm, TiVo doesn't support WMAs. The only way to play WMAs through TiVos is by using third-party software.

7. Jan 4, 2005 #7 of 2087
    SavMan

SavMan Angry Mac User

Jul 16, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Excuse me VinceA, I made a mistake there. TiVo chose to run TiVoToGo through Windows Media Player. However, the files themselves are MPEG2 not WMA. I was mislead by another poster to believe that the actual files were Windows Media. In any case, the point remains -- choosing a Media Key that only works through MSFT's proprietary system is most likely the reason for this delay, and that makes me a little peeved.

8. Jan 4, 2005 #8 of 2087
    benvon

benvon New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Illinois
    Hmm... yeah, I'm dissapointed too. I only have Macs at home and I would very much like to use this cool new feature.

On the other hand...

Tivo mentions that VLC works on Windows 2000 for playing the content. VLC has a very, very stable and good port to Mac OS X. Why can't VLC on Mac OS X play it when VLC can play it on Winders?

9. Jan 4, 2005 #9 of 2087
    VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    From a quick look at the documentation, it looks like you use TiVo Desktop to choose a program to view on your computer, enter a password, "something happens" then a media player (WMP10, VLC, etc) shows the program. I think the delay for Macs is in the "something happens" section. Maybe there's some decoding/transcoding/etc process that appears to be outside of the media player's control. So, TiVo isn't tied to Windows Media Player but the decoding/transcoding/etc portion for Macs isn't ready yet.

Of course, I could be wrong (probably am) :)

10. Jan 4, 2005 #10 of 2087
    SteveJ

SteveJ New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    Merrimack...
    Not including Mac support is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. TiVo just doesn't have its act together---to screw over a portion of its user base that likely constitutes some of its biggest proponents is baffling. Additionally, to require the purchase of special software to burn shows to viewable DVDs (which incidentally probably also will never get a Mac version even if TiVo someday releases an updated version of their own desktop) is also ridiculous.

Disrepect, no support for HDTV cable, and a higher price than what I can get from Comcast---that's it, cya TiVo.

11. Jan 4, 2005 #11 of 2087
    IrishTiVo

IrishTiVo A good egg :)

Mar 19, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    After just buying my second TiVo, I'm a little pissed that there is no support for Macs. I've had a show or two waiting for DVD backup for over a year! Sigh...

12. Jan 4, 2005 #12 of 2087
    briguymaine

briguymaine Visual Assault Cmdr.

Mar 17, 2004
    Beautiful Maine
    please don't make me get a PC... I like what some folks are saying that MacWorld next week may reveal some cool Tivo integration, but I doubt it. But, I'm staying positive and things may happen!

13. Jan 4, 2005 #13 of 2087
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Does anyone read the actual details that Tivo posted? They said they are working on the Mac solution. They wouldn't say that if they weren't going to have one. It's not available now. I know that sucks if you have a Mac, but thats the facts.

14. Jan 4, 2005 #14 of 2087
    nealm

nealm New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    As a Mac only household, we are used to this treatment from all software makers.

Interestingly, Microsoft is one of the best at supporting the Mac through great releases of the Office software. So I wouldn't be too quick to bash them.

Oh well, the wait continues....

15. Jan 4, 2005 #15 of 2087
    Unix_Beard

Unix_Beard New Member

Dec 22, 2003
    I find it hard to believe that Jobs would say anything about Tivo at Macworld. Tivo is inconsequential to Apple - the only news worthy of Macworld would be Apple acquiring Tivo.

Now, I wouldn't bet against Apple assuming the market completely with a new gadget.

16. Jan 4, 2005 #16 of 2087
    mac_media

mac_media New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    New York
    I don't think (although hope springs eternal) that anything will be announced at MacWorld. I have been a Mac User for 17 years and have become used to waiting longer for releases than all my friends with Wintel boxes. I believe the software will come, and with the current iteration of Tivo Desktop as an example, I believe it will be robust. We do constitute a relative minority when it comes to the percentage of desktop users. However, I do not believe that this is a reason that some one who paid $X for a Tivo should get less use out of it just because a Macintosh better suits his or her needs. I do also acknowlegdge that Tivo has more competition from MediaCenter on the Windows side than anything comparable on the Macintosh side. I guess the point of this ramble is just that I, like many of you, feel slighted but I also do understand the business side of the equation. I have been very happy with Tivo and will continue to be, I'll just wait patiently until I'm able to share in my friends' enthuasiam over this new feature.

17. Jan 4, 2005 #17 of 2087
    scheckeNYK

scheckeNYK New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Here's my opinion in the Mac debacle. This is coming from a former employee at an Apple retail store. About 18 months ago the Apple stores were getting Tivos in stock and were ready to sell them. They were abruptly pulled from the inventory and sent back to warehouse with no rhyme or reason. The assumption was that Apple was considering developing it's own DVR. After many moons had passed without any sign of this, I basically wrote it off as a simple fickle decision by the merchandising team. It seems Apple is all gung0ho on iPod variations and is perhaps not ready to jump into the DVR market.

Now that I've seen this development, my mind has changed again. I think we will see something at MacWorld, but not Tivo compatibility related. I think Apple will debut their own settop DVR to be a physcial digital lifestyle hub. I think we can all agree that it was a major shock that there was ZERO support for T2G on Macs. Perhaps this wasn't at the behest of Tivo, but Apple instead? I think this could be really great, and I wouldn't hesitate to jump ship over to an Apple branded DVR. Their software is usually on point, and I bet it would have all the features we've asked for. They already have a very easy to use subscription format with the iTMS, so that's no hangup.

Imagine an all white settop DVR with built in airport card, able to stream iTunes, iPhoto, and all your programs back and forth from the unit to your Mac. Fully integrated with iMovie, FCP, iDVD, and/or DVDSP using the QuickTime Codec. Remote programming from any Mac and sharing across a network. One touch backup of programs via FireWire to external harddrives. What else could they cram into the next big thing? The only problem I see here is price point. If its a proprietary Apple unit, you know it will be up there. The iPods alone are between $300 and $600.

18. Jan 4, 2005 #18 of 2087
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Apple stores almost selling TiVo's? I've never heard that rumor ANYWHERE. I don't believe it.

Apple w/ their own DVR? I've heard that rumor a million times and I still don't believe it. I'd LOVE it if it were true, but I just don't see it happening.

I sure hope I'm wrong, though. (and maybe, just maybe, the sub-$500 headless iMac is the answer)

19. Jan 4, 2005 #19 of 2087
    tonyf3

tonyf3 Mac User since '84

Oct 11, 2003
    CT & NYC
    I like scheckeNYK's thinking on this. How about ipod video player too. Has anyone noticed the horizontal shape of an ipod. Practically 16x9. Turn it on it's side add a flip up Color screen + an AV/file transfer dock to TiVo or Apple and presto. ipod Video toGo. I think this deserves a picture.

I sincerely hope MacWorld SF brings some relief on the Mac support issue.
    In the meantime Canopus ADVC-55 via Firewire to idvd is filling the void.

20. Jan 4, 2005 #20 of 2087
    sa-gamer

sa-gamer [witty line]

Feb 19, 2004
    San Antonio...
    For those of you that pre-paid for Tivo2Go I would ask for a refund! I did when I found out my Ti994A wouldn't be supported!