Mac TiVo 2 Go coming mid-2006--maybe...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoEvan74, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1 of 10
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    From the latest TiVo newsletter

"(Confidential to my Mac buddies: I know, I know. But this announcement, while still PC-specific, bodes very well. Hang in there—we are targeting mid-2006 for Mac support for TivoToGo™!)"

As a Mac user, the lack of TiVo2Go for the Mac and the delays used to concern me... no longer... transfer times over networks are so SLOW and the files for even a 1/2 hour show so HUGE (even at Basic) that it simply doesn't matter anymore! :)

I'm actually more interested now in what's coming vis-a-vis Yahoo and direct web surfin' from the box.

2. Dec 4, 2005 #2 of 10
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #3 of 10
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Have this now with TiVoTool and my Dtivos. Don't really care if they ever decide to get off their asses and write a Mac version of their own crippleware.

4. schweb

schweb New Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Ohio
    I'd rather not hack my TiVo so I'll wait for the official stuff.

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Since it will never work on a Dtivo, I had no choice but to hack.

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 10
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
  7. Jan 8, 2006 #7 of 10
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Crippleware ?

Mine works fine.

Why do you say crippleware?

Maybe they just don't want to get off their asses and write a Mac version because of the low percent of Macs in the world.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 10
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Well, they are writing one for Macintosh and purportedly Apple is fixing their Mpeg2 support so everything will be cool for joe average user.

By crippleware, I think he was sniping at Tivo's use of DRM. But Tivo's DRM is a speedbump and can be dealt with easily. TivoTool and other apps aren't exactly perfect either. That's why the tool's author still hasn't granted it a major release number yet still 0.5x or something last I checked.

It's good work and Mac users should look at if if interested in DirecTivo stuff. For SA2's, I personally don't see the big deal about having a cheap windows box on the network, but some people want to be pure- ok- use TivoTool if you don't need TTG's TivoBack.

But I have come very close if not over the line of discussing extraction.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 10
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Ohhh.....extraction talk...ohhhhhh

Go buy a TV tuner card for your computer. Most of them have an s-video input. Hook-up the output of the TiVo, directv receiver, or whatever to it and record all the stuff you want to. It's not true digital extraction but it's pretty darn good.

10. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Say, can you use the El Gato TV system for the Mac to record to any external HD?

In other words, get a large ext. hard drive, hook up the El Gato and record to it. Our internal hard drives are pretty small--well the free space that is!