Mac Newb & TTG

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by justkimberly, Oct 13, 2007.

1. justkimberly

justkimberly New Member

Oct 13, 2007

Advertisements

I am totally new to Mac (3 days old) and have installed Tivo Desktop. I can find where to start the server. I found the "hidden" video folder (thanks to this forum) and enabled that. I can now see my Mac on the Tivo itself. However, I cannot figure out where to start the actual Desktop app. I am used to the PC where I just go into the Desktop and it talks to my Tivo and I can select the list of videos to transfer from the Tivo. I just cannot figure out how to do that here on the Mac.

The only icon I have on the desktop is the TiVoDesktop, which appears as a mounted drive. Inside it is simply the install .pkg file. If I search for Tivo, spotlight returns a jar file under applications, my Tivo folders, and preferences. But, still, no where do I find the actual "desktop" prog to launch. What am I missing?

Like I said, I am a total Mac newbie. Been a very LONG time since I used Mac, and I did search through the forum but could not find this posted. TIA for any advice.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You cannot download with TiVoDesktop on a Mac, only serve MPEG2 video. You can use the web interface to download, or Toast or Popcorn (I think).

3. bostlaw

bostlaw Member

May 16, 2005
    There are a few different ways to accomplish what you seem to want, but buying Roxio's Toast is the easiest...TTG built-in...

4. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Welcome to the Mac community! There are a couple of ways to download Tivo shows to the Mac. The easiest way is to get Roxio Toast 8. It isn't free, but you might want to get it anyway for its ability to burn DVD's, convert Tivo shows for ipods, etc. Buy.com has a rebate on it right now.

You can also use the free TivoDecodeManager.

5. justkimberly

justkimberly New Member

Oct 13, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice all. Do you know if Toast will work with an external DVD burner? I opted for the cheaper 13" macbook with combo drive b/c I already have a SONY usb DL DVD burner. I am pretty sure I can use that with the mac, haven't tested yet.

Amazon actually has a bit cheaper price. I hate to have to pay for it though cause doesn't the MAC already have built in burning functionality... I did find the little dashboard plugin, so I can browse my tivo now, but not download files, so I will try the other free prog mentioned.

6. jakerome

jakerome Member

Nov 28, 2002
    What's this about the "secret" video folder? How do I get that working. Also, does anyone know the status of Mac TiVo-to-Go support for Series 3 TiVoes? Is TiVo-to-Go enabled with 9.1, or is that coming a little later?

7. justkimberly

justkimberly New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Hi Jakerome-

For some reason, I do not know why, the Video folder is by default hidden when you go to the TivoDesktop preferences. So, open up System Preferences, then hold down the Command key while you click on the TivoDesktop icon. Then you will see the little tab/folder icon for Videos. That is where you have to input your MAK.

I got TivoDecodeManager working as we speak and am transferring stuff from Tivo. Seems a little slow, but that is ok. :)

8. JQuebedeaux

JQuebedeaux New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    Since the Fall 2007 TiVo Update you're going to have a problem until Roxio, etc. can fix the differences TiVo has made with the recent TiVo update for downloading (TiVo2Go) to your Mac.

Until the fall update, their application worked well. I know myself and others are frustrated since we paid for an application that TiVo advocated (Roxio's) to provide this capability and now it's broken due to TiVo's update.

You can go read the relevant posts on the Roxio discussion forums and look in the tivo forums for post 10342544 (i can't post url since i'm not a frequent poster, perhaps someone else can).

Fair warning.

-JQ

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The thread on the TiVo forums is located here. A relevant thread on the Roxio forums is located here.

I'm sure Roxio will release an update to fix this, since anything interfacing with a TiVo running 9.1 will need to be changed to work with the new MRV/TTG that has been implemented.

10. aorrdalca

aorrdalca New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm a fairly experienced Mac user who has just downloaded and successfully installed TTG from the Tivo website. The TiVo icon has now appeared in my system preferences, but when I click it, I get a "Loading TiVo Desktop ..." message and no further activity. Can anyone point me to basic step-by-step instructions for getting TTG up and working?

MacBook Pro 17" Intel, 2G RAM
    TiVo Series 2/80 (Sept 2007), TiVo wireless adapter

11. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    If you have a Firewall turned on, you need to make sure your Sharing preferences are set up to allow port access for Tivo Desktop.

12. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    When I've heard of that "loading..." but never loading situation, it usually means that the Macintosh has no name set in the Sharing Preference Pane. Go into the Sharing Preference Pane and if your computer's name is blank -- give it one.

13. aorrdalca

aorrdalca New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Yes, that has solved the problem, thanks. Some day all of these "gotchas" will be gathered together into a comprehensive tutorial.

14. Supermurph

Supermurph New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I read on Engadget that TivoToGo is coming for Series 3 during November.