M-Card support for orignal S3 when?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by drcos, Aug 10, 2007.

1. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    Would be nice, it would remove the opportunity for Comcast to continue with the additional fees they are supposedly working to eliminate from their system (a 7.95 for each additional card "has to be" on the account or the second cards don't work)...

2. lmacneill

lmacneill New Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm getting two CableCards from Comcast for a grand total of $1.50 per month.

It's a "Series 3 TiVo Special Price" that you have to ask for -- and they won't tell you voluntarily of course. Call 'em up and tell 'em you want the special Series-3 TiVo price. $1.50 a month (in the Atlanta area, anyway) for two cards. (Installation wasn't free, of course.)

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Actually, a fee has to be on the account for the second card to work, but it doesn't have to be $7.95. In most places it is $1.50 to $2.75. Comcast's own webpage about Tivo pricing says that it will be a "nominal" fee for the second card (first card free).

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/FaqCategory.ashx?CatId=461

4. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    Perhaps we'll get it when the problems with it are completely sorted out in the TiVo HD box, and yes there apparently are a few there specific to M-Cards.

5. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    I have been (and am still) doing this dance already with Comcast. The $7.95 fee is on top of the other fees, and is 'required' by their system because it is 'not programmed correctly' to allow for more than one cable card (i.e. Tivo).
    This is on the Sarasota, FL headend. If the bogus charges are taken off the account, the two secondary cards STOP WORKING.
    This issue may or may not be specific to our local headend.

6. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I dealt with that for 6 months, repeatedly calling and getting credited for the difference between $7.95 and $1.99. Finally found a CSR who found a way to keep the second card activated without charging me for it at all. And like your system, this system also did not have the $1.99 fee encoded in their billing system.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm getting 6 cable cards from Comcast for $0 a month. I don't know why but I'm not complaining.

8. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd say M-Card support will be available just slightly after the software update from TiVo is downloaded. When that will be available is anyone's guess though. :D

9. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    If I'm reading this right, it has conflicting info ($7.95?):
    http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?ID=2651

If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD.

Not to mention more conflicting info from Comcast... I pay $0 for both my CableCARDs.

10. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I love how the use regulated to make you think that the government is making them charge you for it when what it really means is the government won't let them charge more for it.

11. keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    I've never been charged for my 2 either, certainly a billing screwup as I'm getting Digital Classic for free as well, ever since I hooked up the S3 way back when. :D

12. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    No updates?

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I can see for Tivo this would not be a high priority. Now that the THD is released and most of the major issues resolved the S3s probably don't sell much anymore and existing owners of S3s already have 2 S-cards setup. So only some existing S3 customers would benefit from this update. I'm not sure that many S3 owners would want to go through the hassles, time, risks and truck roll fees involved with replacing working S-cards with an M-card. In my case it would save me about $7/month to go from 4 S-cards to 2 M-cards and I'm not sure I'd be willing to do it unless I ran into trouble with the S-cards.

14. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    I'm one of them. I've been happily using the S3 sans cable cards with OTA digital + analog extended basic cable -- when I got the S3, I took a look at the comcast channel lineup and saw no channels in their digital lineup that I'd watch that I couldn't get either via antenna or via analog cable.

Comcast is slowly shrinking its analog extended basic lineup, which is prompting me to reevaluate. But the fact that M-card support for the S3 is rumored to be "real soon now" is prompting me to hold off as it's clear that the providers don't seem to have a firm grip on making "two cable cards, one device" a pleasant experience.

15. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    I ask again, because I would like to get rid of $16 (15.90) of additional fees from Comcast, that they are "working" to eliminate.

16. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Have you gone into Comcast with a printout from the link above? I wonder if you can have your fees lowered.

17. Hogues92

Hogues92 Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The problem is the fine print at the bottom of that page:

Disclaimer: Regulated Prices quoted above may not apply in all markets. Please call 1-800-COMCAST to learn more about Regulated Prices for your area.

They have a way around anything!

18. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    Um...I would also benefit from this update. Since I bought my S3 9 months ago, I've been using it without CableCARDs, patiently waiting for TiVo to either add support for multi-stream CableCARDs, or add guide support for unencrypted QAM channels. So far TiVo has been maddeningly slow on both features. One can only hope that TiVo will not abandon it's core group of early adopters...

19. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    How would an M-Card benefit you Saxion? If you got S-Cards, you wouldn't need to pay an arm and a leg for them, maybe 2 dollars more per month than a single M-Card. I would like M-Card support too, but I have bigger fish to fry (SDV, MRV, TTG, Copy Protection to name a few.

I also would be happy if Tivo fixed the pixelation concerns that many are having (I never did), as that would be great for many many more people. Then go after a SDV fix and satellite support, so there is no reason for someone to avoid a great Tivo box, then multi room viewing and tivo to go, so many like myself could use an external hard drive other than eSATA, and finally join the fight against copy protection on television recordings.

I have 2 S-Cards, never had any pixelation issues, don't want satellite, have no SDV issues yet, but would be content waiting for my wishes if more people were served and had access to working Tivo. Secondary concerns are price of additional cards and additional functionality, lets just work to get everyone on board!!!

Oh yeah, and stop the cable company monopolies, but Tivo doesn't need to do that, just the government.

20. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    A fair question. If I got 2 CableCARDs, Cox told me they'd charge twice the install fee for one card ($60 x 2=$120), plus of course the extra monthly rental fee ($2), and possibly an extra Digital Outlet fee ($3.50-$5). I may be able to argue my way out of some of that, but I'd rather just start off with a single CableCARD and avoid the hassle. I also believe CableCARD prices are trending higher and so would someday want to pare down to a single card...but I certainly don't want to pay for another truck roll down the road just to swap two S-Cards for one M-Card.