m-card or s-card??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jclem, May 24, 2011.

1. jclem

jclem New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Framingham, MA
    OK, I'm just trying to avoid 2 week wait for a Fios 'truck-roll' if possible. I did a search and found out that the Premier boxes require a single m-card. However, what I don't know is if the existing cards(2) in my Series 3HD unit are 's' or 'm'. I looked through all the set-up and diagnostic stuff and found no indication, so I pulled a card and still found nothing hinting at s or m.
    So, how do I tell? The only 'possible' thing I found was deep in the diagnostics menu where it lists 'module mode' as "s-mode". Does that mean it's an s card? I'm just kind of grasping at things 'cuz that's the only sign of s or m --anything.
    Thanks.

2. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Yes, you have a s-card or single tuner card. If it was an m-card it would show M-Mode.

EDIT: Here's a cablecard primer ...

http://www.cablelabs.com/opencable/primer/cablecard_primer.html

3. jclem

jclem New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Framingham, MA
    Great, thanks. Guess that means I have to wait for Fios. Sure seems like it would make things easier for everyone, cable co's and customers, if they'd let us pick them up and do it ourselves. Oh well...........

4. 36446

36446 New Member

May 19, 2011
    you can put 2 M-cards in your S3HD

the cards will just run in single stream mode

5. brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    The S3 does not support multi-streaming, and as such you need two cable cards regardless of whether they're single-stream or multi-stream cards.