Ludicrous attempt for internet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mattyro7878, Nov 18, 2020.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

I have a TCL tv and am about to replace a boot with a 9200 mini. Can I use the TV (which is wifi connected) to connect an Ethernet cable to the tv then to the mini? I know Tivos and uverse boxes can be used as clients. Can a tv be used this way?

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    99.9% sure this will not work.

3. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    dianebrat likes this.
  4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    TVs are not bridges.

5. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

I tend to agree that this is unlikely to work. The TV would have had to be designed to act as a WiFi to Ethernet bridge and it seems unlikely that it was. But you'd need to look at its manual or google its model number to figure out for sure.

Though, possibly surprisingly, the more recent TiVo boxes (EDGE, BOLT, Roamio Plus/Pro, or Premiere 4/XL4/Elite) can act as an Ethernet to MoCA bridge; however TiVo Minis cannot. But that's because TiVo wanted you to be able to network from the base DVR to the Mini over your home's existing coax and still let the Mini access internet streaming services (though the base DVR). However you can also use that in reverse to connect a TV or AV setup to the internet by connecting their Ethernet cable to the TiVo DVR and then connecting it to another MoCA bridge that connects to your internet router.

But a TV maker would seem to have no such incentive to make their device act as a bridge; and that's why we strongly suspect that it won't do so.