Lucky Louie - "Pilot" 6/11/06

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jschuur, Jun 12, 2006.

1. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK

Advertisements

5 minutes into it and I already want to wander off and waych tonight's Entourage recording instead. Why I didn't watch that first, I don't know...

The close quarter, live apartment set is really freaking me out.

Later: Okay, 'our sperm' made me laugh a little.

Mmmm... Trail Mix....

2. Chandler Mike

Chandler Mike Lost

Mar 29, 2002
    Chandler, AZ
    Watched the first part of it, and deleted it...

Reminds me of an SNL skit.

Loved Tourgasm though afterwards.

3. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Why?

4. Spire

Spire Fallen

Jun 6, 2001
    Everywhere...
    I wanted to like it.

I didn't.

5. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

Advertisements

I liked it a lot. This is going to be one of those shows like The Office that everyone bashes at first and then a year later everyone is loving it and pretending to always have loved it.

6. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    The Office is still terrible. :p

7. Hersheytx

Hersheytx New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Dallas
    I would rather watch Joey then The Office.....to bad they cancelled Joey and not THE Office

8. smickola

smickola New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    I made it through the whole show, but it was not easy...just awful. It can only get better from here, though..

9. harvscar

harvscar Monkeyhead

Dec 7, 2001
    Just another bad sitcom, with swearing.

10. Joeg180

Joeg180 Burning Daylight

Jun 1, 2003
    Niskayuna
    I think the "Comeback"was funnier. Well not really they both sucked.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Uh.. no, this is not going to be like the office. This is a straight-up sitcom.

Maybe I didn't like it because many of the jokes were from his stand-up act which I had seen before and loved. I'm looking forward to an episode where they play hide and seek.

12. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    It's supposed to look and feel like a bad sitcom. That's why the apartment so obviously looks like a cheap set. He took the conventions of a sitcom and put his very unsitcomlike self into it. It's not a particularly clever premise, but to dismiss it solely because it looks like a sitcom is to miss the point. You should watch it and then dismiss it based on whether you think it's funny or not. I thought it was funny, but I like Louis CK's act.

13. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    big bag of suck!!

14. bjheels

bjheels Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Grapevine, TX
    Watched with my wife last night. She hated it and thought it was mostly slow, but with some funny jokes. I plan to watch at least one more time to see if it is basically the same every week or if they were just spending time getting us introduced to everyone.

15. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I was just about to say something similar. The "Comeback" wasn't great, but I think it beat Louie.

I suppose Louie could get better, but it just seemed bad to me. I watched the whole thing, laughed maybe a few times and thought about the fact that the Comeback wasn't renewed and this replaced it.

If this is the future of HBO, I fear for them.

16. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Hmm, another thought or two here. I really have to wonder a bit the choices some network execs make on what shows to air.

As an example, lets say that instead of "The Comeback" (which was cancelled by HBO and for the most part replaced with "Louie") getting replaced by "Louie" it got replaced with an HBO version of the quickly cancelled by ABC "Emily's Reasons Why Not."

I have to wonder a bit if that show ("Emily") were running on HBO, where it could include nudity and swearing, would it have performed better and been considered perhaps a mild hit?

17. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    The NBA should thank HBO. This show actually made me turn to the game. I never thought that was possible.....and I am in Dallas!

18. KRS

KRS Mmm...invisible cola

Jan 30, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Pretty weak - the best joke was when the little girl said to Louie "I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to mommy." Sorta funny - at least if you have kids.

I'll give it another chance, but besides the swearing, this is barely network quality. Especially when it comes on right after the awesome Entourage, the suckage is that much more noticeable.

19. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    You know, that may be a big part of the problem I had with the show too... If it wasn't following such a high, it might not seem like such a low.

Either way, if it doesn't improve quickly, my Sunday evenings will become 360 gaming time much earlier. :D

20. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I thought it was funny as hell. But i have a sence of humor..