Luck - HBO first look new series from David Milch

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
  2. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I'll never forgive HBO for Deadwood. Then not following through on the promised Deadwood movies. Burn in Hell, HBO! :mad:

I'll give this a shot though. Milch is brilliant with stories and words. Cast looks strong. Nick Nolte is f'ing gold to me.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    50%

Deadwood was incredible, an A++ show. JFC, not so much. Incredible potential, but it never went anywhere.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to this, and have high hopes too!

4. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    As a relatively serious pony player (I haven't taken a vacation of a week or more in the past 8 years that didn't involve going to a race track) I'm thrilled to see this. Milch has owned several T'breds, including 1992 Breeders Cup Juvenile winner Gilded Time and 2001 Breeder's cup Mile winner Val Royal, so he should get the major points right WRTO the front and backside of racing.

5. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Milch, Michael Mann, Dustin Hoffman and a very good cast. Mann and Farina back together (I loved Crime Story). I hope this is good.

6. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    The reason JFC never "went anywhere" is because HBO canceled it after only one season. :rolleyes:

7. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I never could get into JFC, some shows I guess just don't click with some people.

8. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    No, it was totally lost well before that. It just never found its way.

9. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    agreed, JFC sucked, imo.

10. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    JFC was not liked by a lot of people because they did not understand it or the ideas it referenced. Allegory, people. Hermetic philosophy. Not a mainstream idea. Definitely too smart for the vast majority of Bubba and Barbie America.

TV is a lowest common denominator medium which is still seeking to find its lowest common level. Unfortunately it's in a race to the bottom with Americas constantly declining taste, morals, and intelligence.

11. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I understood it fine. I just didn't like it. <shrug>

12. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Who you callin' Bubba?

:D

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well then CLEARLY you didn't understand it at all, Bubba!

:D

14. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    I luv all Bubba's. Honest. I just don't want em pickin my TV shows.

Of course you do. I'm certain you could discuss all of the symbolism contained in the series authoritatively. Never mind though. You just "didn't like it".

[​IMG]

15. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    So if you enjoy something and I don't I'm "wrong" because I obviously didn't understand it. Got it.

16. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    If you have HBO on Demand, there's a great 10 minute behind the scenes promo called "Luck: A Day at the Races" where Richard Kind, Richie Costner, the Irish gal Kerry Condon and Tom Payne sat during racing at Santa Anita. "Goose" is standing by their box, but they never say who he is.

You can hear Richie's real Brit accent. He does a loving take on satchel-mouth American Richard Kind (as Kevin Polack is wont to do.)

Kind is all excited when he wins a $5 win bet but Richie wins a $1200 Exacta!

I don't see that clip on the HBO web site.