Low signal strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by wille, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Nov 8, 2020 #1 of 16
    wille

wille New Member

Sep 18, 2005

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Bolt. My signal strength is 67, causing pixilation on a number of stations. What should I try in order to improve/fix this? Do I start with replacing the splitter? Thank you!

2. Nov 8, 2020 #2 of 16
    aspexil

aspexil Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Are you on OTA or cable card?

sssSMOKING likes this.
  3. Nov 8, 2020 #3 of 16
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Have you always had this problem? More info would be helpful.

-Your cable service
    -Your connection (MoCa, Cable and Ethernet or Cable and Wi-Fi)

Did you ever have a DVR from your cable company to compare it (signal strenth) to?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Nov 9, 2020 #4 of 16
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    67 is NOT low signal; anything over 42 is usually just fine for perfect picture on a Bolt, PROVIDED, however, that there are no other problems with the signal, such as high noise or multipath issues. If you are having problems at 67%, you need to fix the other issues in your signal, not the strength.

sssSMOKING and kpeters59 like this.
  5. Nov 9, 2020 #5 of 16
    wille

wille New Member

Sep 18, 2005

Advertisements

I hooked the Bolt up 4 years ago, so I don't recall all the details requested above. It is Cable hookup. It does have a Cable Card. I have not compared it to other DVRs, as this is the only one that I have used. I have Frontier Communications service. Everything worked well until a week ago and several channels started pixelating. The other 90% of the channels are fine. I also have a Mini and have the same pixelation with it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  6. Nov 9, 2020 #6 of 16
    wille

wille New Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Frontier checked it and said the router is bad and they are sending a new one. Thanks for the above help.

7. wille

wille New Member

Sep 18, 2005
    I replaced the router with a new one that they sent. I get no pixillation during the day and then get a lot at night and only on a few channels. Any idea why?

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That signal strength you originally had with cable is too low. Frankly, I don't know how a new router would increase the signal strength. Are you sure you didn't get a new modem rather than a new router? Check your signal strength again and report back here.

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    He has cable, 67 is too low.

10. wille

wille New Member

Sep 18, 2005
    I just checked and the "Digital Signal Strength" is 67. Can you tell me what that means if it's too low? What are my next steps? Is this a problem with a connector or wire, with the Frontier signal, or with the Bolt?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I don’t know where you are seeing that term. To find signal strength: TiVo, Settings and messages, Help, Account &System info, Diagnostics. You can then scroll through and see the signal strength for each tuner. This instruction may be different for TE4 software, but should be similar.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good question.

Is your Internet connection between the ONT and your router via Ethernet or MoCA/coax? If you're using an Ethernet WAN, you might consider temporarily reconnecting your coax to have a direct connection between the ONT and your DVR, and see what signal level you're getting with absolute minimum signal loss b/w the ONT and DVR.

If you have a coax/MoCA WAN connection, then maybe try just a 2-way splitter to have only the router and DVR connected to the ONT.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  13. wille

wille New Member

Sep 18, 2005
    I followed your instructions and see Signal Strength 65%.

14. SteveD

SteveD Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    Sounds like your ONT may be going bad. If you can, try the same test with a direct connection to the ONT COAX output, bypassing all splitters, amps, etc.
    If you see the same results, you should contact Frontier to test and/or replace your ONT.

krkaufman likes this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ^^good advice, imo^^

UCLABB likes this.
  16. wille

wille New Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Team TiVO - Thank you for your help! After multiple phone calls, and insisting that it wasn't the card or the ONT, Frontier sent a tech out yesterday. As he got out of his truck, the tech asked if the local channels were bad. I said no. He asked "just the 600 channels?" I said yes. He said that it's likely the ONT. He said I'll switch it out. That was the problem. All fixed now.