Low signal strength Verizon Fois

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by neato5oh, Sep 21, 2020.

1. neato5oh

neato5oh New Member

Sep 21, 2020

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a premiere and a premiere XL that have been working great on verizon fios for many years. Yesterday while watching football, I noticed a few blips on the XL. Later in the day I tried to watch tv on the other one and it was terrible. I checked the signal strength and it was 27%, and 30% on the XL. Today I tried disconnecting everything and just ran a cable directly from the fios ONT to the XL and that got me up to 37%. My friend is getting 99% on his roamio. I've rebooted everything I can think of. I guess I have to call verizon? If a tech comes out will he have tools to test the signal strength and verify what I'm on the tivos? Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

2. neato5oh

neato5oh New Member

Sep 21, 2020
    fios not fois... I'm tired....

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Sounds like bad connections on the cable out to the pole.

4. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    The ONT may be going bad. Verizon should first be able to check that remotely, and the tech will be able to verify the signal strength and quality coming out of the ONT when onsite.
    I had to have my ONT replaced once after noticing low signal strengths on my Tivos.

5. neato5oh

neato5oh New Member

Sep 21, 2020

Advertisements

So I called and they are going to send someone out to replace the ont. Since then the XL signal has gone up to almost 40 and the other one is in the 30's. This seems to be enough for the tivos to work as I haven't noticed any glitches lately. Do you guys think these are normal signal levels? Calling FIOS was a nightmare btw. I scheduled a call back and when they called the robot put me on hold for over 20 minutes before I got to talk to a person. Also, had to agree to a $99 charge if the problem turns out to be something else. Will post after the appointment.

6. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    If you're looking at the signal strength on the Tivo Diagnostics screen, with FiOS, it should be pegged at 100% if you are not attenuating the signal at all. Tivo seems to work best when bringing the signal down below 98%.
    If you are only seeing 30-40%, then most likely your ONT is bad.