Low internet speeds after enabling MOCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jose MJR, Nov 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jose MJR

Jose MJR New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    My download speeds before enabling MOCA are in the neighborhood of 200 mbps. After enabling MOCA, the speed drops down to around 15 mbps. I tested it by disabling the MOCA and the speeds went up to normal levels again. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I'm new to TIVO and i'm really enjoying my bolts and minis.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You've probably got a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem and MoCA is clashing with it.

Try manually moving your MoCA Channels up to a higher frequency and see if that helps.

Are you using the MoCA built in to your router?

-KP

3. Jose MJR

Jose MJR New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    I checked under the modem and it is indeed a 3.1 DOCSIS. I'm using the MOCA bridge from the bolt; i haven't changed the settings on the router or modem. I'll check to see if the MOCA is enabled on the router by default.

I did try switching the channels to different frequencies but that did not help.

I also ordered POE filters from Amazon and they should arrive tomorrow. I hope that eliminates the issue.

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Do it this way:

Unplug every MoCA device, except the router.

Change the MoCA channel on the router to a pretty high frequency.

Plug in the next MoCA device. Probably the TiVo, or the next most critical device.

Let it detect the new MoCA Channel, or reconfigure Network settings until it connects at the higher channel.

Repeat, one at a time, for the remaining MoCA devices.

Report back...

-KP

5. Jose MJR

Jose MJR New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    How would I change the MOCA channel on my wireless router? I checked the documentation for my Netgear Nighthawk 7300 and it does not mention anything regarding MOCA.

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Oh...never mind that portion, then...

Shift everything downstream 1 Node.

What MoCA Device are you using at the Router? (Edit: Maybe better to phrase it: What MoCA Device is your MoCA Bridge to the Internet for your MoCA Clients? (Mini's and whatnot...))

-KP

7. Jose MJR

Jose MJR New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    The bolt is acting as the MoCA bridge. I have it connected to the router via ethernet. What do you mean by "shift everything downstream 1 node." My current setup is cable to two-way splitter. One cable from the splitter running to the tuner and then to the bolt, the other cable running directly to the modem.

I was also reading today that the splitters on a MoCA network need to be rated higher than 1GHZ; mine are at exactly 1GHZ. I ordered some from Amazon and they should arrive tonight. I'll try changing out the splitters and installing the POE filters when i get home. I hope this resolved the issue.

Thanks for the help by the way.

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Do it this way:

Unplug every MoCA device, except the TiVo.

Change the MoCA channel on the TiVo to a pretty high frequency.

Plug in the next MoCA device. Probably a Mini, or the next most critical device.

Let it detect the new MoCA Channel, or reconfigure Network settings until it connects at the higher channel.

Repeat, one at a time, for the remaining MoCA devices.

Report back...

-KP

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Also, you may need to put a MoCA Filter at the input to your Modem.

-KP

10. Jose MJR

Jose MJR New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    All I did was put the filter before the modem and now my speeds are above 200 mbps. Thanks for the help!

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Historically sound advice for DOCSIS 3.0 modems, but DOCSIS 3.1 modems are capable of using frequencies that would be blocked by a MoCA PoE filter. So, this might not always have the desired result.

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You should still have a MoCA Filter protecting (and improving) your MoCA Network at the Point of Entry to the building. Or, even better, at the first splitter.

-KP

JoeKustra likes this.
  13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Which is exactly why I tried to prompt them to moving their MoCA Channel higher.

But, whatever works, I guess...

-KP

14. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    And yet spectrum just in stalled a 1Ghz splitter in my house. Brighthouse in the past would install a 1Ghz splitter with one leg to cable modem and the other leg would have a poe moca filter connected to a 1675 Mhz splitter for the DVR and STBs. This was about 7 years ago though.