Lovecraft Country - Season One Finale "Full Circle" (S1E10) 10/18/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 19, 2020.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

The season (series?) finale of Lovecraft Country.

I thought it was... good, very good, but not great. A remarkable first season, but this finale was mixed to me. Parts of it were as enthralling as the season itself, but other times I felt they threw too many parts together, leading to a story that wasn't as coherent as could be.

When you're watching the road trip, just superb ensemble acting. And many of the duels (faceoffs?) were great. But I felt less than satisfied when it all ended. Not easy for me to pinpoint why, just that after such an amazing come-from-nowhere great first season, I felt disappointed. Slightly.

Still an impressive first season, and should a second season be announced, I'll be there. But I just don't think they stuck the landing.

Season: 9
    Finale: 7

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I forgot to add the title, will have mod fix. :oops:

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The ending had a rushed tie-it-all-up-at-once feeling to me. That said, I did enjoy it.

Is there any word on a S2? While this show rose to the top of my watch list, I almost feel like I've had my fill of it. I'm not sure where they go from here to keep it fresh. To me it's kinda like the Watchmen series. I enjoyed that too, but it felt like a one and done.

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree with both. It felt like they tried to throw everything in there. Maybe they wanted to have as much closure as possible with just a little bit of an opening for a new season? I don't know. Like most of the season, it was beautiful to watch and fun, but the story was really kind of convoluted and silly. So now, is the theory, that black people have the "power" now? That's what it seemed to say to me. And that was the other thing, it was just kind of confusing if the show was about the black experience or their quest for magic. I don't know, just seemed to be a bit weird getting there. Anyway, I'll probably watch a new season if there is one. I'm guessing that they jump ahead to when the young girl is older. Maybe into the 1960s? That would work well.

5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

Enjoyed S1. Not sure how they'll continue it in S2.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It has to be one or the other? :confused:

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I hope there's a second season but like Watchmen, it can stand on its own. Maybe they can merge the two shows. Watchmen Country? (just kidding)

smbaker and Steveknj like this.