Lovecraft Country S01E03 "Holy Ghost" OAD 08/30/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markb, Aug 30, 2020.

1. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego

Advertisements

Here's the thread for this week. Untagged spoilers, for this episode and earlier episodes.

Official episode description:

2. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    This show seems to be going in all sorts of directions. The pilot was awesome. Episode 2 was whiplash in plot movement, could've been stretched out for a season arc. I dont mind that they sped things up, but then episode 3 we're weeks at least in the future, far away from the on goings of the Cult of Adam. Back in normal racist Chicago suburbia, and now doing a haunted house episode. I'll stick with it, but my excitement has been diminished by the pacing.

I'm beginning to think this show will be like the X-Files, with a motw each episode, and long seasonal/series/mythology arc stuff sprinkled in, and our characters are just jerked along through it.

dcheesi and LlamaLarry like this.
  3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Considering it's adapted from a novel (which I haven't read), I suspect that in the end it will all hang together more than it seems at the moment...

They did bring it back to the Cult of Adam, though.

4. Sep 1, 2020 #4 of 15
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    H.P. Lovecraft wrote a ton of short stories. I've read quite a few but they're probably a drop in the bucket compared to everything he wrote. Most of the stuff I read was centered around the Cthulu Mythos, but he wrote a lot of other stories and several were made into feature movies like The Shuttered Room and Re-Animator, among others. I have a feeling that the show revolves around a central group of characters and each episode is based on one of his short stories. Apparently he was also quite racist, which is clearly delineated in the show.

cheesesteak likes this.
  5. Sep 1, 2020 #5 of 15
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

This episode spectacularly proved wrong my belief that only white people investigate the spooky basement of their clearly haunted house especially when that house is yelling at them too get the bleep out of that house. Leti is an honorary Scooby Gang member.

I like this show's music.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that a Tic-Leti-Christina love triangle is inevitable. If so, I hope it's not as tedious as most tv show versions are.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    lynncosbm likes this.
  6. Sep 1, 2020 #6 of 15
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The show is an adaptation of a novel by Matt Ruff.

7. Sep 1, 2020 #7 of 15
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I like the part about the racial tensions, not so much the ghosts and mythos. But I'll see where it goes.

8. Sep 1, 2020 #8 of 15
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Considering how Tic's blood (well his blood line or DNA) was needed for the spell to work in e2, I think Christina won't ever "love" him, but rather just want him to cast stronger magic, and maybe strengthen her own blood line. </WINK>

So far the racial tensions stuff is the strongest part of the show. As a standalone plot, the haunted house was good too, but I guess it was my bad to expect continuity of the mythos after all that happened in e2.

9. Sep 1, 2020 #9 of 15
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not a big horror fan, but from the previews this looked a bit different. That's why I gave this a look. It's the period piece / racial tensions part that really appeals to me and makes it an interesting story. Heck, if they completely took out all the ghost / undead stuff, it would still be a pretty interesting story.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Matt Ruff is a pretty geeky writer. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if it turned out the genesis of this book was him loving Lovecraft as a kid, and then as an adult coming to terms with the kind of man Lovecraft turned out to be (i.e., horribly racist).

lynncosbm and Steveknj like this.
  11. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    It does feel like that, and I find it surprising that a novel would follow that format (if it indeed matches the novel).

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I haven't read the book, but according to Wikipedia it has an interesting structure...and it is a structure.

markb likes this.
  13. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    You inspired me to look at the wikipedia page, which has broken the plot summary into stories, which makes it easy to read about just the parts that have already happened on the TV series.

14. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    In the words of the immortal Kramer...I'm out!

15. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I guess it would help if I actually stuck around to look at the credits once in a while. :rolleyes: Based on the title I had assumed the show was centered around the works of HP Lovecraft, but after looking at the wikipedia page I see that's not the case. I assume that the author was influenced by Lovecraft's work to have named the book after him. I was actually hoping it would have more of the Cthulu Mythos intermingled with it, but the season is still young so I suppose that's possible down the road.