Lovecraft Country S01E02 "Whitey's on the Moon" OAD 08/23/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markb, Aug 23, 2020.

1. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego

Advertisements

I know there's a season thread, already, but for the love of timeshifting, let's have episode threads! This thread will contain untagged spoilers.

The episode description:

2. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    A lot happened in this episode. It was kind of whip lash

3. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    This episode was way creepier than the first. So George is dead, and Leti was dead, but is now alive. So dead isn't necessarily dead!

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Weird...this is the second time this summer (and the second time in my life) I've heard the song "Whitey's on the Moon"! (The first was in a documentary on 1969.)

5. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx

Advertisements

I hated that intro with the Jefferson's theme song. This show is not doing it for me. I may bail.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I actually liked that. It was a WTF moment that eventually made sense (when we realized that the house was messing with our heroes' minds).

hairyblue likes this.
  7. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    So much happened in this one episode it felt like a season recap :)

Super interested to see where this goes next.

8. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Loved the first episode, this one... not so much. Still in to see where it goes.

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    They're clearly not lingering on any particular location. I was a little surprised that they settled in to, unraveled the mysteries of, and then blew up the castle in one episode. I wonder where they'll go next?

hairyblue likes this.
  10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's me. It turned into a weird horror series (and I get maybe that's what it is supposed to be) but it lost the whole reason why I loved the first episode, and how that played against the times the show takes place. This was more weird undead horror stuff. Oh, and I hate the music from another era making it into a period piece, so I hated the Jefferson's theme (which had little do with the scene) and the Whitey song which was from about 15-20 years in the future.

11. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    It wrapped up so well I had to go look to see if it was a 2-episode mini-series or something. Totally threw me for a loop there.

Enjoying this series a lot and I'm not normally a horror fan.

hairyblue likes this.
  12. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The pacing between episode 1 and episode 2 is very jarring.. I mean episode 1 moved pretty quick but was easy to follow and had the climactic ending, but episode 2 seemed like it could've been stretched out over 3-7 episodes and couldve been the rest of the season...

LlamaLarry likes this.
  13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Absolute best part of the episode. Great music.

The Jefferson's theme was spot-on, as they were reveling in great books and perfect fitting clothes. They were definitely "movin' on up" in those scenes.

And Gil Scott-Heron's "Whitey on the Moon". Nailed it. White people living their lives in splendor ("on the moon"), while a rat bites his sister. Again, just a perfect song for the scene.

The fact they're not era-specific didn't diminish them one iota (IMHO). In fact, maybe made them even more spot-on.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well we all have our own opinions. I think a show that takes place in the 1950s should have music from the 1950s. And Movin on up...they weren't in an apartment, or on the east side. But OK. And again, the music later on took me out of the show. There are plenty of music from that era that could have been used. That's just my opinion, obviously it didn't do that for you.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I understand, I was just presenting a counterpoint. I've heard others comment on the music being out of era. I just thought those two, in particular, were just perfect for those scenes.

16. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
  17. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    This episode moved fast. I am a Lovecraft fan and was afraid it would have enough Lovecraft type monsters or that "Lovecraft feel" to it. But so far it's been great. The mansion with the secret cult reminds me of the "Rats in the Walls" story.

Where does it all go from here? I can't wait to find out.

18. Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    To me, this episode had the feeling of a season finale. Towards the end of it I was afraid that Lovecraft was a two episode series, I was very happy to see previews come on for the next episode.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  19. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I'm loving this show. I don't know where we're headed, but it sure seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

And BTW, normally I would feel sort of the same as Steveknj about the music, but in this case the whole show is such a mash-up of so many different things that it isn't bothering me at all.

20. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had that same thought. Felt like there was nowhere else to go. But I guess there is