Lovecraft Country (HBO) - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Aug 17, 2020.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Lovecraft Country on HBO, premiered last night (Sunday Aug 16) on HBO. From wiki...

Lovecraft Country follows "Atticus Freeman as he joins up with his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father. This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback."

Lovecraft Country is an American drama horror television series developed by Misha Green based on the 2016 novel of the same name by Matt Ruff. It premiered on August 16, 2020, on HBO. The series is produced by Monkeypaw Productions, Bad Robot Productions, and Warner Bros. Television with executive producers including Jordan Peele, Green, J. J. Abrams, and Ben Stephenson.

2. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Good start. Great cast and an interesting story. By the end of the hour, I was hooked.

"Welcome Home"

cheesesteak likes this.
  3. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I never heard of the novel it is based on so I went into this blind. It certainly takes a change of direction in the last part of the episode. Now I'm wondering where they're going with this so I'll keep watching.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Was that Jamie Chung as the Princess of Mars? She's in the show's cast, but was listed as "credit only" for this episode...

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

I loved the book, haven’t watched the series. From reviews, I gather that the basic structure of the book is there, but is taken in different directions as it seems they want it to be an ongoing storyline.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Is it more horror or historical fiction? I recorded this but haven't watched it yet. I'm not a huge fan of traditional "horror" like the Halloween movies, or Friday the 13th. But if it's horror in more of a historical context, I'll give it a shot.

7. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It's definitely horror, but not in the vein of the Halloween or Friday the 13th movies, which IMO relied more on jump scares...

Steveknj likes this.
  8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's a sad commentary on the state of civilization when Halloween and Friday the 13th are cited as examples of "traditional horror"... :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Craigbob and Steveknj like this.
  9. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    From what I've seen it's a combination of both.

10. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I grew up in the 80's. When I think of horror those are the staples I think of... What would you consider "traditional horror"?

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, Lovecraft, for one. ;)

Dracula, Frankenstein. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Fly. Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist.

Stephen King, Peter Straub, Thomas Harris. Etc., etc., etc.

Halloween and Friday the 13th, to my way of thinking, were in the vanguard of the modern form of horror that has largely replaced traditional forms. Instead of using horror to explore the dark side of human nature, they just come up with lists of inventive (or not so inventive) ways of killing off characters.

Family and Crobinzine like this.
  12. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Feel self owned there. :)

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  13. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I'm not going to bail just yet but I did not care for this first episode. Hated the look of the monster and the CGI was pretty bad when that sheriff turned. Only thing that may keep me going is the female lead....yowsah what a beauty! She's Jussie Smollette's sister! I won't hold that against her...lol

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watched the first episode with my son, and I must say, we were blown away. Loved it. The story is interesting and then they throw in the monsters toward the end. We are so in. I was intrigued by halfway through the episode and then it just got even more interesting. We are so in. The horror genre is not necessarily my cup of tea, but this was so interesting. One nitpik and this is not only for this show, but I absolutely hate when they throw modern music into a period piece. It take me out of the vibe of the story. A 1950s set episode should not have any type of rap music. I did love the period music, especially the scene where the two sisters were singing. That was just awesome.

Crobinzine likes this.
  15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And that was actually them singing. Both are trained vocalists IRL.

I could rewatch just that scene, loved it.

Crobinzine and Steveknj like this.
  16. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    It was, but my first thought was well, it's better than Lost's polar bear...

Seriously though, it's such an amazing story it would suck to bail just for that. I thought it was funny though that the sheriff's missing arm didn't hurt all that much. He was too busy being racist to care.

17. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Haha, that bothered me as well.

18. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    It also wasn't very bloody! I'm used to severed digits bleeding everywhere, but it made me wonder if the monster cauterized his wound because it was mighty clean. That didn't last long of course.

19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    While I was watching this, an ice cream truck playing "Turkey in the Straw" went down my street (and I'd read that linked article earlier in the weekend), so that was some unexpected extra verisimilitude.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Wow. That was good. The next episode can't come soon enough.

I was mentally yelling "Don't leave Uncle George behind!" when they left Uncle George behind.

It's a reminder that the "good ol' days" weren't so good for everybody.

Family, Crobinzine and Steveknj like this.