Lovecraft Country 1x06 "Meet Me in Daegu"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but this show has finally gone beyond the bounds of plausibility.

A roomful of men who don't find Jamie Chung attractive?

INCONCEIVABLE!

LlamaLarry and getbak like this.
  2. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Well, this seems like a perfectly normal wartime backstory with ah... oh... well... that happened...

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, a perfectly normal Lovecraftian wartime backstory, anyway...

She's got quite a tail! Nine of them, even.

4. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    OK I really liked this one. However, I looked at my wife afterwards and said "well, we're still just as confused as we were at the beginning!"

Didn't advance the story much (although presumably it will be critical going forward) but a really well-done episode. Maybe one of my favorites of the season.

Tony_T likes this.
  5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

If a woman lights one candle, and all the candles in the room start burning simultaneously...

...you're either about to have the worst night of your life, or the best.

cheesesteak and LlamaLarry like this.
  6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or (as in this case) both.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm sure we're going to find out the connection between this Korean woman and what's happening now. Why she called him and what she's trying to tell him. I assume that's where we will pick up next week. I'm going to speculate (with no knowledge at all) that her father is whoever "William / William's sister" is. (names are escaping me this morning).

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't know, they don't seem like the child-rapist type...

9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    This episode was refreshingly good, I was about to quit after S01E05, but I'm glad I stuck in there for S01E06.

10. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I'm pretty sure they said that Ji-Ah killed her father as the first of the 100, didn't they? I think her father was just a creep who's long dead and we won't see or hear anything more about him (we didn't even hear that much about him in this episode). My suspicion is that nothing about her or her origin connects to the rest of the story or characters, except for her connection to Tic and the fact that she saw some of his future... maybe she'll even come to the U.S. and play a role directly rather than over the phone.

Dawghows and smbaker like this.
  11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This episode was a long way to go to advance the plot a little bit. Although I normally dislike love triangles, it'll be entertaining to see Leti and Ji-Ah(sp?) fight over Tic if the story moves in that direction.

12. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    The lack of plot advancement is, surprisingly, not bothering me. I'm looking at this series more like the X-Files, in that each episode has a central story, with the long arc serving mostly as a backdrop. As I'm pretty sure I've said here before, I'm not even sure I know what the long arc is. (Which was often true for me with the X-Files, too.)

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One difference between this and the X-Files is that with the X-Files I never got the impression even THEY knew what the long arc was... ;)

Dawghows likes this.
  14. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    For most of it, I didn't even realized there was a long arc -- it was monster of the week to me.

Sure, they threw in a Mulder's Sister episode every so often, but those never seemed to have much direction to them, and for me were more of a distraction.

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Didn’t Tic call her? And the write DIE?

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Good episode. My favorite so far.

17. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I wonder if that's how they came up with the Cat of Nine Tails? Whip it good! :D

18. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I think Tic was deciphering the pages they found in the crypt, and after that he freaked and called Ji-Ah. I couldn't see everything that he wrote while deciphering but one word was definitely DIE. Apparently some aspect of what he found matched what Ji-Ah had told him.

It always amuses me how people don't seem to realize what a deciphered message says until they finish the last letter. It's like they're all really bad Wheel of Fortune players or something.

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I think you meant to post this in the Tropes thread. :)

20. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Maybe it's because they're not allowed to buy any vowels