Love Monkey, OAD 1-24-06, S1E2 "Nice Package" - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Jan 24, 2006.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    One word: Starship? Ok, four words: "We Built This City"

Wasn't that song almost universally panned as one of the worst songs of all time?

Never mind that it's also a favorite of mine :up:

I wonder if that means I'd have a chance with the potential girlfriend?! :D

2. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    It was a favorite of mine back in the day.. I still turn up the radio when it comes on .

3. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I will say that I could see the pairing of Zoe with Wayne from a million miles away.

Oh, you also have to love -- yet again -- the product placements within the show, including the reference to putting the Starship tunes 'on my shuffle'.

Aren't infomercials disguised as a Dramedy fun? (just commenting on that one again before someone else does ;) )

4. ckelly5

ckelly5 Denny Crane

Feb 26, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Dramfomercial or not, I do enjoy this show. Keep it comin' CBS!

5. TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    I'm enjoying it too, but sometimes the machine gun dialogue between Tom and Bran gets a little irritating. But not enough to make me stop watching.

I do think they need to do a better job of focusing each episode. Bran and the gay sports caster were the only friends who didn't have their own story line this week, and most of the stuff with Shooter and the nanny could have been cut, IMO.

6. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    Technically the walk-ons by Ben Folds and Lee Ann Rhymes were nothing but living product placements, though honestly, when done right, and I think it has been on this show, product placement doesn't bother me at all.

7. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    Liked the pilot, liked this ep as well -- esp. the title ;)

Much of it was very predictable (Wayne / Zoe), and much was unnecessary (Nanny / Shooter), but somehow I still found myself engaged more than not.

I also wouldn't mind getting a copy of that song Wayne and Zoe sang at the end... Sure he sounds like every other guitar/piano-playing singer/songwriter a la John Mayer, Howie Day, and Gavin Degraw, but I happen to like that stuff. So there.

ETA: I'm also a Ben Folds fan -- it was cool to see him on TV even for a little cameo...

8. AstroDad

AstroDad Like Death & Taxes

Jan 21, 2003
    Houston

Not that it matters, but he said "on the Nano"

9. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    I must be slow -- I didn't even catch that.... Was that when they were sitting in the diner?

10. AstroDad

AstroDad Like Death & Taxes

Jan 21, 2003
    Houston
    It was pretty quick....it was after talking to the co worker girl (don't remember her name) at the benefit and she was walking away. He called out to her and said (I am paraphrasing)

Give me a list of all of your Jefferson Starship favorites so I can get them on the Nano.

11. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    Unless they move it to a better time slot and get better ratings, the show may be yanked:

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_2425.asp

"New shows typically dip 10 to 15 percent by their second episode. If "Monkey" loses more than that this week, dipping to a 3.0 rating, say, it could well spell curtains."

12. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    When it switched to showing Shooter, I spend a while trying to figure out if it was a commercial, and if so what the heck it was advertising. I totally didn't place him from the pilot episode, so I couldn't figure out why we cared about some guy in an office talking to a girl.

I guess it wouldn't have been a big deal in a few episodes, since I'd know the characters better, but for a episode 2 some transition would have been appreciated.

13. rizzlebizzle

rizzlebizzle in the hizzle

Oct 14, 2005
    Jersey
  14. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Not only do I like it a lot, I am very, very happy that I recently acquired copy of the version I remember, as customized by radio station WRBQ in Tampa: "I'm looking out over the Howard Frankland Bridge..."

15. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    How long before someone comes up with a drinking game? You drink everytime someone says a song title in conversation, and 2 (or everyone) drinks when Tom notices it.

16. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Everything he says on this show is pretty quick. Is he being paid by the word?

17. hyimted

hyimted sugartastic t. love

Apr 13, 2003
    sacramento, ca
    so far i like the show. i like how the backstory has to do with the music industry ... they have some pretty funny jokes if you're into that stuff.

for now, i'll definitely continue to watch it.

18. havanahjoe

havanahjoe DirecTivo User

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm liking it as well. I like the music backstory and the cameos and product placement are good too, they do it so that it shouldn't bother people that much. I wish they would focus more on the other character's stories, but that just means that there's material to go around for a long time. Problem is, they might not have a lot of time. If this was Fox then this show would have been long gone, but I think CBS is a little better at keeping shows?

19. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    If it weren't for potty mouth from Rescue Me being in this episode, I'd say I liked it.

Weird though, in confirming it's him IMDB doesn't list the Love Monkey credit at all, but Google has a cached copy where it, and a lot more, are listed for him.

I hope that's at least a sign that he won't be a regular if this show sticks around.

20. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Ouch. Deathwatch on. They won't give it 3 more episodes if those numbers don't go way up. At least to a 9.