Love/Hate TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by autotech4, Jan 29, 2020.

1. autotech4

autotech4 New Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I just wanted to express my personal pros and cons to TiVo. And if anyone has a fix for any of the cons, please let me know. I'm using, I guess the original Bolt with a mini.

Pros:
    -- DVR with antenna access and apps all in one box is wonderful.
    -- Quality guide and DVR settings.
    -- Skip commercials with a click, and the new automatically skipping is the best!
    -- 4k and Surround compatible.
    -- Ability to search through all apps and antenna programs simultaneously is nice.

Cons:
    -- As I've read from almost everybody my TiVo mini is obsolete. Locks up using Prime or You Tube (works on Netflix). And as far as I can see the only fix is buying a new Mini Vox. Can't believe TiVo couldn't fix the product after that big update killed it?

-- The limitation on apps I think may be the killer. I have a new Android TV and I can get an app for almost anything. Comparably TiVo has minimal basics (that won't even work on my mini!). And once hooking up a hard drive with guide and DVR apps that aren't so complicated becomes available, I don't see how TiVo can stay in business.

-- This one kills me, and it just started. TiVo is hitting us with unwanted commercials. I forget exactly when it happens, like opening a recording or something, but a commercial comes up out of nowhere, and you have to click to move on once you realize you've been spammed. Terrible, horrible, shame on you TiVo!

-- Since the "Big software upgrade" the search engine which included TV and apps which I really appreciated, no longer includes everything and is pretty much useless.

-- This is more app related. But if you buy/rent a 4K HDR movie on Prime, you get 4k without HDR. The TiVo Prime app is not compatible with HDR (which I am growing to appreciate). Also, when pausing/fast forward/or rewinding, you lose sound and have to reboot. Again, all TiVo Prime app related (which I can't even watch on the mini in the bedroom!)

-- Oh yeah. TiVo Plus. Are you kidding me? And it also locks up the mini.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect on anything, and/or there may be fixes for problems.

Thank you....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Pro: Has the best original content that money can buy.:)

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Of course, you can sidegrade back to the TE3 user interface. Note that you lose any recordings you have on your box as part of the process (transfer non-copy-protected shows to your PC first), and you lose some nice features: voice control, AutoSkip, and CEC. But you gain other features back, including no TiVo ads. :)

4. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Why can't you just use the apps on your Android TV??? (since you just said "it has an app for almost anything"???)
    Or you COULD just buy a $20 Roku, that WILL work just fine (BETTER, actually) on (all) those streaming apps & more & call it a day... ;)

I still LOVE my Tivo's, but NO way in hell will I use their apps...it's MUCH simpler, faster & cleaner to just switch to the Roku...which I CAN also leave up on an app & simply switch inputs back to the Tivo, if I need to quickly.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    trip1eX likes this.
  5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The original Mini is based on Premiere generation hardware which was released in 2010 and based on a chipset released by Broadcom more than a year earlier. So basically 12 year old technology. You're iPhone 3G can't run YouTube either.

TiVo agrees, which is why they're releasing their own Android TV based device in April. The current platform is based on the Samsung TV HTML5 smart app specification from 2011. Most app developers have abandoned this platform and are no longer updating apps for it. So even the apps they do have are old versions missing features.

This one I agree with 100%. I'm still using TE3 on all mine so I haven’t got them yet, but if they back port them to TE3 I'm done. I rarely watch recorded TV any more anyway, but that will be the final straw for me.

The search and data have been worse since Rovi took over several years ago. Tribune data was superior and they just tried to shoehorn the Rovi data into it's place even when it was missing some data they needed to kake the features work reliably.

As mentioned above most of the apps are older versions because TiVo is using an old app platform that most of them don’t want to develop for any more. Which is why they're transitioning to Android TV going forward.

All garbage content I'd never watch so I haven’t even tried it. Not a "plus" for me, just BS they added to try and make more money.

foghorn2 likes this.
  6. autotech4

autotech4 New Member

Aug 23, 2019
    The TV in my bedroom with the mini is a Panasonic plasma, and the apps don't even work anymore. So I did get an Amazon Fire TV stick. Only issue there is my AV receiver isn't ARC compatible, and the TV's optical audio out can't pass surround.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Ah, yet another TiVo pro/con discussion thread! We need to keep these coming. Sometimes the previous one slips off the first browser page and is hard to find! :rolleyes:

jrtroo, jcondon, lparsons21 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think at this point the biggest con is TiVo failed to meet their promise of one box that does everything. OnePass was a total flop due to poor data. Then there's the limited number of apps which essentially forces people to use other devices to access newer apps that are popping up.

TiVo had a great vision, it just failed to deliver on it.

Then they promised us apps that would allow us to control the part they are good at, the DVR, from other devices that are better at apps and failed to follow through on that. So now most people have a TiVo to watch what they record and something else for apps, and have to switch inputs and remotes to use them.

slowbiscuit, Rodney, mrsean and 4 others like this.
  9. autotech4

autotech4 New Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Anybody try the Fire tv Recast?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Who is “they”? How much of a connection is there between the TiVo of 20 years ago (or even just five years ago) and the TiVo of now? How many of the original designers or engineers are still there?

To me the magic sauce of TiVo is (was?) superior DVR functionality and UI. How much of that will be left when TiVo morphs into a streaming stick company? Maybe it should have a new name — but not Rovi!

mrsean likes this.
  12. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Strivo!

dlfl likes this.
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Stick it.

Mikeguy and mrsean like this.
  14. autotech4

autotech4 New Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I think the auto-skip is keeping everybody onboard this long. I love that!!!

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Isn't auto-skip TE4 only? So you're implying TE4 is keeping everybody onboard this long. You may find some disagreement with that.

16. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I wish Tivo had kept its focus on innovating the DVR rather than getting tangled up in a business that they had no real experience or vision for, streaming apps.
    ROTFLMAO

dishrich likes this.
  17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    With hindsight that looks right. However in TiVo’s defense, it was innovative to try to create the “one-box”. But I don’t think just “lack of real experience or vision” was their biggest problem. Programming the streaming apps for a particular client requires effort by the streaming provider (e.g., Netflix, etc.) and TiVo didn’t get enough such effort. Perhaps they should have been able to foresee this or maybe not. Really cool and innovative would have been the capability to DVR (record) the streaming content, but that was never going to fly for basic business reasons. The DVR for traditional cable TV is a dying product need in the long term so would not provide a long term business for TiVo.

I’ve been using YouTube TV for three months now and boy could they use some of the old TiVo secret sauce for their cloud DVR UI. However, YTTV is (IMHO) already a demonstration that a cable TV replacement along with a cloud DVR will be able to make conventional Cable TV and associated DVR’s (including TiVo) a thing of the past — in the long run. I think YTTV, having Google’s resources behind them, can easily sex up their cloud DVR in the future.

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps people are expecting too much and need to lower their expectations. Specifically, TiVo makes a dang good DVR (well, at least with the current Roamio and Bolt platforms)--does anything out there really match (not just approach) it? If TiVo leaves that all be and people only look to the device as a DVR and not as a unified DVR and All-In streamer (aka a TiVoku), perhaps life is pretty good. (I really do fear for my TV sanity and enjoyment if TiVo ups and closes shop before I do.)

Having said that, TiVo's breaking of functions and functionality seems to be at an all-time high, and things just aren't seeming to get fixed. I wish that TiVo would take the Summer off, look at its punch list, and fix everything that needs it (the Guide data system included), and maybe even round the TE3 and TE4 platforms out to where we all think they should be and would like them to be--and then freeze the platforms, absent a future killer application. And then TiVo can leave us be with our killer DVRs and go off and play with its stick.

dishrich likes this.
  19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    While I don’t think any OTA DVR out there can hold a candle to Tivo, the cost to entry is too high to bet their future on. As cable finishes dying its slow death then without good streaming apps on the Tivo is just a way to watch the company disappear IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think Rovi is the problem. And their UI advantage went out the window with Hydra. So you're right the "they" that had the original TiVo vision probably don't work their any more or if they do have drank the Rovi koolaid and are towing the new company line.

mschnebly likes this.