Lousy reception AM only...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Tangent, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA

Advertisements

For the last couple of weeks my wife has been noticing that in the morning several channels are getting lousy reception, some missing entirely, and even missing from the guide. Yesterday during the day I checked the signal strength and got 65+ or 100 on all channels (except for the few that show no signal). This mornign though, the ones that had been 65+ were ~35 at best, sometimes dropping to no signal, and the ones that had been 100 were ~60. There are no trees, buildings, etc in the line of sight, and the weather's been beautiful. Both of our DirecTivos are affected the same way.

Is this just a matter of needing the aim fine-tuned, and the AM drop off is more or less normal, just not noticable when properly aimed? If not what could cause this?

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    We are in "sun outage" time,
    every spring and every fall the sun falls directly behind the satellites orbiting the earth.

Sun's radiation overpowers the signal coming from the satellite resulting in periods of low signal strength to no signal strength.

DirecTV satellites are subject to these along with all the other satellites.

After this week things should be back to normal.

A poorly aimed dish will be more succeptable to these outages, and could be the problem last week and perhaps even before that.

California is falling into the suns shadow around 11am-ish, is this the time of the worst reception?

phox

3. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    Heh, a cool scientific-type answer! We've only noticed the lousy reception at around 6-7am, but then again nobody's home to check until mid afternoon. This is the first time I can recall this happening since we moved here about 3 years ago, so maybe the dish could be a bit out of alignment. Then again, considering what's causing the problem maybe if I could just bounce an anti-particle beam off the dish I could cut through the interference... :p