Lousy drivers? Bad luck? Or just dishonest?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mick34, Jan 4, 2006.

1. mick34

mick34 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    A DirecTV installer was scheduled to come to my house today to repair a satellite problem (but that's another story).

I get a call today from the installation company saying that they won't be coming because the installer was in a car accident today and no one else is available. Now all of a sudden they could schedule someone for Saturday or Sunday, even though when I first scheduled the appointment they told me they never work weekends.

Normally I'd feel sorry for the technician, hope he's not hurt, etc., but...

I got the same exact phone call on a scheduled installation day a couple years ago. They told me the same story. Can't come today because the installer was in an accident and no one else is available. I had to reschedule after already taking the day off from work to wait at home.

Now, let's be honest everyone... Is it just a coincidence that these guys have gotten into car accidents twice on the day they were scheduled to come to my house? They have a 50% accident rate on my installation dates! Or is this just their standard excuse for overbooking and understaffing?

Your thoughts?

2. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    /note to self

Avoid satellite repair trucks in the future...

3. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    True or not, you owe DirecTV a call.

They are the only ones who could compensate you for your difficulties and address the issue with the installation company, so that other people aren't affected by 'accidents'.

H

4. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Dude!

Where do you live?

Your house is next to a satellite?

No wonder these guys are having problems, launching those trucks must pull a gazillion G's!

Sorry - it was just too easy, I couldn't help myself.

I've had the same thing happen and Hogarth is right, call DTV, if nothing else, you should get some sort of compensation for your trouble.

5. mick34

mick34 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Last time this happened, I got a $99 credit to my account.

I plan to call tonight for my 2nd "auto accident" credit. I currently have $5 and $15 monthly programming credits, 6 mos. free Showtime, 3 mos. free Starz and HBO. So we'll see what else they can offer. I'm hoping for another $99.

I wonder if they have a code in their system for granting "auto accident" credits. :rolleyes:

6. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    It's possible they're making an accomodation that they normally wouldn't do, because you were inconvenienced. Maybe everyone that was scheduled on that day of the accident (or day after) is being rescheduled, and they might be using Saturday to help with the newly created backlog. But otherwise they wouldn't do Saturday.

-Mike

7. coleren1

coleren1 New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    California
    I've had Directv service men out to the house a few times and they are sooo shady! The last guy who was here, had been here before and both times he tried to get a $70 charge out of me. Both times I reported the company to Directv and they still keep sending out that same company. It's been here 3 times that I can remember. I don't think Directv cares that some of these contractors they hire are dishonest.