Loud hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by iWish, Jan 29, 2012.

1. iWish

iWish Member

May 15, 2005
    I bought a used upgraded 2TB Premiere with lifetime two months ago.

All of a suddent the drive is extremely loud although the Tivo seems fully functional. Reportedly, the drive was a WD20EVDS model.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    What's the nature of the sound? E.g., does it sound like a high pitched circular saw? If so, the bearings are going bad and the drive will soon fail (sorry).

Alternately, the sound could be coming from the fan (hard to tell when the case is on the TiVo). My Premiere's fan went bad about 4 months after I bought it. I replaced it with this one:
    http://www.coolerguys.com/840556041092.html

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Are you sure it is the drive and not the fan?

4. iWish

iWish Member

May 15, 2005
    Could be the fan. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Edit: I tapped the fan and that seemed to chill out the noise at least temporarily.

5. iWish

iWish Member

May 15, 2005
    Seems to be the fan. What tools do I need to replace the fan?

6. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    It was over a year ago, but I don't remember needing anything more than a Torx 10 screwdriver and the replacement fan itself. You can get Torx screwdrivers in most larger hardware stores. I got a T10 and a T15 in the Sears hardware department for a couple bucks each (the T15 is handy if you ever want to upgrade the TiVo's drive).

I was lucky, the place where I got the replacement fan (CoolerGuys) is local to me, and even though they're an online shop they do have Will Call.

Open the 4 case screws first, remove the cover, then remove the screws around the fan. The rest is pretty self evident. :)

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
  8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  9. iWish

iWish Member

May 15, 2005
    Thanks all. I will give this a shot and report back my results.

UPDATE: Bought the fan from cooler guys referenced above, T10 screwdriver and followed the directions. It solved the problem and there is very little fan noise.

For the novices out there pull out the plastic not the wires from the plastic. Ignore the yellow prong. Be careful pulling the cover on and off. I accidentally loosened the hard drive which I figured out only after I hooked everything back up and got the flashing lights and no picture.