Lost Unbox recordings - worth requesting a credit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Sparty99, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Over this past weekend, I was dealing with a dead TiVo and couldn't access anything I had saved. TiVo has since sent a replacement unit, so they've acknowledged that this was their mistake.

Included in my Now Playing List was one Unbox recording (Letters from Iwo Jima), and there were two more offered on Amazon's $0.99 sale (Dreamgirls and Stranger than Fiction) that I would have ordered. To replace these items would now cost $11.97 versus the $2.97 I would have originally paid (or did pay). I'm curious if it's worth the effort to call TiVo and request a credit to my account for the Unbox recordings that were lost or for which I lost the discounted price.

2. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Probably worth too much effort going down a path the Tivo customer representatives have never gone down before.

It would prolly be easier to send an email/online form to Amazon explaining the situation, and see if they allow you to redownload the rentals. They are trying to get/keep customers so maybe flexible.

3. Lazlo123

Lazlo123 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    whether it is worth it or not to you, I wouldn't venture to say. But I would bet that in the amount of time it took to post the question you could have sent an email to Amazon explaining the situation...

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    1. UNBOX does the credits - not TiVo
    2. come one you really expect to get credit because you did not get some 99 cent movies
    3. Your hardway went down - UNBOX did its end of the bargain. At best you should get a 99 cent credit but that is because they want to be nice to the customer

5. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    My experience with Amazon Unbox is that they do not give ANY credit. Period. Just try to send them a message about your problem, you will receive an obscure answer completely unrelated to your question.

6. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Kind of like missing a gas war because your car was in the shop and then asking the gas station to give you a discount because you would have purchased the discounted gas had your car not been in the shop.

I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. Wait until another 99¢ sale.

7. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Well hidden but 10 seconds of google can be your friend: 1-800-201-7575. This is the Amazon customer service line where you get a human. I've called it many times to get issues resolved. Enjoy.

8. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Very good analogy... :up:

To the OP, like dvr4me stated, because you missed the sale while your TiVo was waiting to be replaced is not TiVo's, nor Amazon's responsibility. As with any disclaimer for almost any electronics item, the company will not assume any responsibility for any loss other than the replacement of the item during the warranty period. By replacing your TiVo, TiVo was not saying it was their mistake, they were only honoring their obligation to replace an item still in warranty. If it was no longer in warranty, then you just got lucky, because they didn't have to replace it for free if it was no longer within its warranty period...

Losing the one movie you had paid for, that, unfortunately, is just bad luck... just as any PC vendor is not going to replace everything on a person's PC if the HD crashes, TiVo cannot replace what got lost in your NPL... every electronics device has a certain percentage of failure rate... you, unfortunately, fell into that statistic... However, if you call Amazon, and explain the situation to them, they may be willing to allow you to download the lost movie again for free... just don't expect it, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

If you call TiVo, they will just refer you to Amazon... so, you're better off starting with Amazon...

Btw, you still could have purchased those 99-cent movies over the weekend without a TiVo... you could have designated your TiVo to receive it, but since it was down it would have failed... if the download is not successful, the Amazon site allows you to redownload it until it is successfull... so, you could have still purchased the movies, and then downloaded them to your new TiVo once it arrived... just something to think about if your TiVo is ever out of commission in the future again, for whatever reason...