Lost the standard cable signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by bmgoodman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I tried to repair a Tivo had was refusing to boot by replacing the power supply. For grins, I also replaced the hard drive. The Tivo now boots fine, connects to the Tivo service over the wired Ethernet adapter, etc. What it does not do now, is display television. This is using standard coaxial cable (no box) to the RF In and coaxial cable from RF Out to the TV. Tivo is viewed on channel 4. Here's the strangest part--TV passes through the Tivo so that you can watch all the channels. Once you switch to Tivo, you can see all the menus, but nothing records, nor can you watch Live TV. The message states the "Tivo DVR lost the standard cable signal". All the suggested items have been tried (plus "crazy" ones like switching the coax in and coax out). The Tivo never exhibited any problems with the cable signal prior to the repairs. It would seem that I damaged something, but I'm not sure how or what to try next.

Constructive criticism appreciated! Thanks, all.

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Is the image on the hard drive created from your TiVo? If the drive is from a different same model of TiVo you need to Clear And Delete Everything.

As for Constructive criticism
    I am sure if that I search through you 420 post I might find the model of TiVO that you have, it would be a lot easier if you posted that information in your message :)

3. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    The Tivo in question is a relative's TCD140060. I did the hard drive upgrade using the original HD from that unit. We did try "clear and delete everything", but it made no difference. I think it's especially bizarre that the cable signal passes through to the TV, but the Tivo thinks there's no signal.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Unless your relative's Tivo is the same brand/model as yours, then that might be your problem .... incompatible Tivo image files. Your replacement drive needs a compatible Tivo image file, or certain features might stop working.

What brand/model is your Tivo?

5. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but the image was taken from the original hard drive of the Tivo that I upgraded (TCD140060). Everything worked perfectly except that it did not receive any channels. The channels did "pass through" to the TV, though.

6. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Well, taking the Tivo apart again and reseating everything (to include the thin ribbon cable between the power supply and motherboard) appears to have fixed whatever was causing the Tivo not to "see" the cable signal. So, the Tivo is working again! Thanks for all the input!