LOST - The Candidate 5/4

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Paperboy2003, May 4, 2010.

1. May 4, 2010 #1 of 303
    Paperboy2003

Paperboy2003 Wasting time here

Mar 30, 2004
    Randolph,...

Advertisements

It's officially in the home stretch....

sad to see Sun, Jin, and Lapidus go (not so sad about the 'new' Sayid)

Of course there's no WAY anyone would survive four sticks of C4 in an enclosed tube, but that's for another time

2. May 4, 2010 #2 of 303
    Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    The four on the beach are the same four that Michael kidnapped for the Others ... I have no idea what that means.

3. May 4, 2010 #3 of 303
    caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    At least we got to see Sayid redeem himself... so, was that the highest single episode death toll ever for regular characters on a television series?

Looks like next week we finally get back stories for Jacob and the man in black (and I'm starting to believe the theory that says they're different halves of the same person).

4. May 4, 2010 #4 of 303
    maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Bodies definitely were piling up in tonight's episode, on both sides! I do like to see "Locke" in rampage mode.

5. May 4, 2010 #5 of 303
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

I seriously can't believe they just killed Jin and Sun like that--didn't see it coming at all. Although I'm sure that's not the end of them--something tells me the people who died will live on in the alt-world, although hopefully as the regular personalities. In other words, when Jin and Sun wake up after drowning they'll be together in the alternate world... might be kind of awkward when they remember they have a child that no longer exists, but whatever. I really hope that's not the end for them...

I knew it was gonna get real but I can't believe they killed three original cast members (and Lapidus) in one swoop like that. It kind of blew my mind. I'm also getting annoyed, although not surprised, that no one aside from Desmond is mentioning the fact that everyone was on the plane together. Alterna Jack has now come into contact with Locke, Claire, Desmond, and Bernard. I would think especially after Claire he'd be like "wait a minute, this is getting weird now" and try to get some info. Nope.

Can't wait to see what happens next. Still kind of sad re: the massacre.

6. May 4, 2010 #6 of 303
    Paperboy2003

Paperboy2003 Wasting time here

Mar 30, 2004
    Randolph,...
    Also, there's NO way Hurley fit through that hole and swam all the way to shore carrying Kate, but that's for another time....

7. May 4, 2010 #7 of 303
    TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    In my mind, tonight reinforced what I believe the true "end" will turn out to be.

There's no way that I believe they will let the beloved Jin and Sun, and even Sayid, die. While Kate is apparently not or no longer a candidate, I don't think she's a goner either. Although I do believe they are dead in the universe they are currently in...something is still going to happen that makes the flash sideways the one and only true reality. It seems kinda cliched, but I still think our key players are going to live happily ever after. Well, more or less.

I think we now know that Flocke's elongated trek to save the castaways was a ruse, and it seems like as long as there are no more candidates alive, he would be free to leave. But if he wanted them dead, he had ample opportunity to easily kill all of them. Especially if he had convinced them to get onto the plane (which seems ludicrious to think that it could ever fly, but I digress). So...if the plane was there...and the bomb was in the plane...who put the bomb there, and why didn't Flocke just lure them into the plane and blow them up? Why go through all the trickery to get them onto the sub, and then blow them up?

8. May 4, 2010 #8 of 303
    caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    So, does it matter who kills the canidates? If not, then why didn't Flocke let them all get blown up on the plane (since we know he really did find out Widmore had wired it with C4)? Or, maybe it's just that he needs the plane to get himself off the island once all the candidates are dead.

9. May 4, 2010 #9 of 303
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Wow!

10. May 4, 2010 #10 of 303
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I liked Lapidus' line...."Oh hell".

11. May 4, 2010 #11 of 303
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Is the fact that sawyer pulled teh wires out the reason the bomb was able to successfully detonate? These rules are very touchy. Flocke can't kill any of the candidates (so why not kill Claire and Kate when he had the chance in the temple), but they can apparently kill each other. So he plants a bomb on the sub and if left alone, it would have counted down to zero, the mysteriously not exploded it, but because one of the candidates messed with it, it was able to detonate? Seems kind of odd to me.

Like you said, why not just let them blow up on the plane? Who knows. I also find it funny that his plan was to blow up the sub all along, but yet the only reason he wasn't on the sub himself was because Jack threw him in the water and they took off. I guess he would have backed off if not, but he was like three feet away from getting in. Seems kind of risky/convenient.

12. May 4, 2010 #12 of 303
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Oh and I liked Locke saying "I know you". I am positive that he was recognizing jack from the island and not alterna-world.

I liked how Claire and Jackl looked in the mirror of the box and they had no flash of the island time. Seems to confirm that you have to have a near death experience to see it. I think this also plays into the theory that the alterna world will end up being where everyones lives "happily ever after". Near death.....flash. Death on the Island....you get to go "back" to alterna world.

I also loved Jack's line of "I'm with him" while Smoky arrived.

Just wow. What a great ep.

13. May 4, 2010 #13 of 303
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    It sure does seem that Flocke needs the plane, so that's why he didn't blow it up.

And yeah, it does seem HE can't directly kill them but can get someone else to (loophole, remember Ben killing Jacob)

Jack spelled it out for us that if they let it run it would have done nothing.

14. May 4, 2010 #14 of 303
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Exactly. Some people think waaaaaaayyyyyyy too hard about this show. I mean, it's not like this show has ever pulled a fast one on us. ;)

Also, I think Jack did notice the oddity of everyone being on the plane. But what's he going to say? "Oh my God, everyone I talked to this week was on that frackin' plane!"

15. May 4, 2010 #15 of 303
    jking

jking Become who you are.

Mar 23, 2005
    Kentucky
    I guess so much for the idea they can't kill themselves. At least if Sayid still counts as being on the list, he pretty much killed himself tonight. I guess it's more a function of when the island is done with you.

16. May 4, 2010 #16 of 303
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    All I thought about while Jin was refusing to leave Sun was "who's going to raise your kid?!?!?" That was kinda lame.

17. May 4, 2010 #17 of 303
    jking

jking Become who you are.

Mar 23, 2005
    Kentucky
    I guess that was the reason for the dialog earlier in the episode, to remind us that the kid was being taken care of by Sun's Mom.

Oh yeah, I guess Jin basically killed himself too.

18. May 4, 2010 #18 of 303
    Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    That's how I thought they were going to get Jin to abandon Sun, figured she would say something like go raise our daughter and he would reluctantly go. He did float away oooor was he pulled out of there?

19. May 4, 2010 #19 of 303
    jkeegan

jkeegan Active Member

Oct 16, 2000
    Methuen,...
    I thought Fox(x?) did a great job with Jack acting expressions of "and... YOU were on the flight, too.....", unlike some in this thread. He isn't Hurley, so he's not one to say "umm, dude, wasn't that like the same flight?" over and over.. He's trying to figure out what it means in his head..

And I think that had a lot to do with why he wouldn't leave the Locke thing alone.

I wish you believed me.

Now we know why he's in the wheelchair.. and why he doesn't want to get fixed (doesn't think he deserves it, because Cooper can't walk either).

20. May 4, 2010 #20 of 303
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Just rewatched. They totally telegraphed the C4. As Jack and the group arrive at the sub dock, right after the flash sideways, Flocke takes off his pack and puts it behind jack, but beyond jack's pack.

Then when they get up to go, you clearly see Flocke reach for his pack and hand it to Jack.

Never would have picked it up on a first pass watching.

Cool stuff.