Lost settings and my memory too - help?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by rilian, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 #1 of 14
    rilian

rilian New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Not great timing - my Tivo seems to have lost all my hacks and config. I vaguely remember that can happen but it's been years and years since I've tinkered with it and can't remember where to start!

Suggestions welcome!

I have network access through cachecard. I know there's a fast install script someone's written but that requires the TiVo to get at the Internet. Mine has the wrong gateway so I eventually remembered that 'nic_config_tivo' does something useful - but although I enter the new gateway, and it says its been saved, and I restart TiVo, the old gateway is back. So, no Internet access.

I have command line access but very limited, I can't 'ls' or 'dir' and can only view files by browsing the filesystem with a FTP program. /var/hack is gone. I'd like to correct the cachecard gateway IP address, and reload endpad and, um, a couple of other things.

Can some nice person remind me where I start?

2. May 7, 2011 #2 of 14
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
  3. May 7, 2011 #3 of 14
    rilian

rilian New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Thanks - yes, looks like that would sort everything out -if- I can fix the incorrect network gateway.

Any ideas where the Cachecard setup stores the network info - perhaps I can edit it directly.

4. May 7, 2011 #4 of 14
    spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Make sure you enter ALL the settings in the nic setup even if they haven't changed! Then you need to reboot the tivo.

(Alternatively you can edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.net which is where the settings are stored.)

5. May 7, 2011 #5 of 14
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I think the default ip for tivo is 192.168.1.200

You PC of course will have to have an IP address on the 192.168.0.xxx to see it

Automan.

6. rilian

rilian New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    I try to enter all the values at the command line but I can't change the gateway, it skips that as if I had entered <return> twice in rapid succession - however I'm sure I did not do that!

The idea of editing rc.net sounded good but mine does not contain a gateway. What should it say to add a 10.44.17.254 gateway? It currently looks like this...

if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/turbonet2.o devicename=eth1 macaddr=00:0B:AD:69:C6:67 ; then
    /sbin/ifconfig eth1 10.44.17.150 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    fi

7. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Hmm that's still set for dial up :eek:

You need rc.net to say
    Code:
    if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/turbonet2.o devicename=eth0 macaddr=00:0B:AD:69:C6:67 ; then
            /sbin/ifconfig eth0 10.44.17.150 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
            /sbin/route.tivo add default gw 10.44.17.254 
    fi

8. rilian

rilian New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Oh dear. I think I've dug the role I'm in very much deeper!

Thanks - I added the 'route.tivo' line, kept the rest unchanged including 'eth1' as that's what seemed to be working for me, and restarted. I have now lost all network connectivity to TiVo, I can't telnet or FTP onto the box so I guess that's it although TiVo restarted OK and is running. oops.

I think maybe I accidentally converted from UNIX to DOS linefeeds by editing the file with Wordpad before FTPing it back to the TiVo. I'm a bit lost on UNIX without 'vi'. If that's not the problem I have no idea what went wrong.

I've given my PC a 192.168.x.x/16 address and tried accessing 192.168.1.200 as well, no luck.

I'm now -really- stuck. If it wasn't for the loss of service I'd say I'd leave it like it is, after all it is working fine even if I can't get at it from the network. However I guess I'll need network access to be using it at all next month.

Yes, it's using dialup, I never was brave enough to switch away from something that was working fine. I didn't like the idea of giving the TiVo Internet access unless I had to. It's fortunate, otherwise a mistake like I just made would make the box immediately useless.

Is there a way to display text-mode bootup info so I can see what's wrong?

9. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    So you've had your PC on the 10.44.17.x/24 subnet but couldn't connect?

Your router/hub is definitely configured with 10.44.17.x as the 'internal' network? (actually I assume so since you had access before!)

Have you tried ping to 10.44.17.150 ?

Unless you have a serial cable I don't think there's any other way to fix this than pulling the disc and reinstalling the network config from CD. :(

10. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    In the past people have found their lost Tivos with IP scanners on their PCs
    That might be worth a look but as spitfires suggests you may need to pull the drive and try again. With that in mind if it's recording and dialing for listings I'd be tempted to leave it be until the AltEPG is ready to release the disk image and then pull the drive and do a fresh install from that.

11. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
  12. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
  13. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    My Look@LAN works fine on Win 7 64bit despite the disclaimer. I loaded the Overlook Fing App on the wife's iPhone and it is quite superb. Great for seeing what is on your network, and where.

[​IMG]

14. pengbo

pengbo New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    I know i doesn't help now but for future reference you can get Vim for windows

http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

which is a vi clone on steroids and behaves itself really well when editing files from Linux as it keeps the correct line endings unlike windoze editors