Lost Question

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by 4inziksych, Jan 15, 2006.

1. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003

Advertisements

I saw a commercial that said they were on (I think it was day 39) on the island. I know the show is in its 2nd year - is it hard to remember that it's only been that long or do you sometimes think it's longer. Do they have characters say things that remind you?

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

There was an episode titled "The Other 48 Days", so 39 is definitely wrong. Day 48 is when the two groups merged. My guess would be that they've been there about 50-52 days.

3. TeeSee

TeeSee Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    It seems longer to me because, as an audience member, they've been on the island for a year and a half. Sometimes they'll indicate the time they've spent there as being 39 days (or whatever) and it throws me a bit. A LOT has happened in that time. Plus, we go through so much of their pasts in flashbacks that we sort of live through those times with them as well.

Still, Hurley should have lost a noticable amount of weight by now. ;)

4. Eight47

Eight47 Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I've wondered the same thing. Was surprised when this was in todays paper.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/health/chi-0601140278jan15,1,6074037.story

5. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Tivomaniac

Jan 25, 2002
    Greensboro, NC

Advertisements

Pretty amusing article. So true, too. Why hasn't Hurley lost at least some of the weight? And why are the men still fairly shaved. There's some growth, but did they end up with enough razors to avoid growing beards completely for this long for so many men?

6. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Maybe the actor can't loose the weight. You'd think they'd of thought of this when they cast him. Maybe they did and they're making him stay fat to keep some mystery up. (But I bet he just can't loose the weight).

7. TeeSee

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I was going to mention that in my prior post, but I figured they could shave using knives. Shaving that way would be difficult to master, but it could work.

8. funbox

funbox New Member

Apr 5, 2002
    That article is just wrong. Can you imagine his poor mother reading that?

9. lordargent

lordargent real ultimate power

Nov 12, 2002
    The above article is totally forgetting the fact that they feast on wild boar.

Bacon anyone?

10. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Is wild boar really that fatty? Most game animals are much leaner than their domesticated counterparts.

11. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    Patrick Kampert is clearly not a Lost fan.

12. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm baffled as to why anyone is still asking this. It's a TV show. Almost by definition, it's not realistic. I don't think they really blew up Daniel Roebuck (Mr. Arzst), for example. Although I haven't seen him in anything else recently. :)

13. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Hurley not losing weight is far more believable than many of the other things that have happened on the island.

14. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    Jorge Garcia was on the radio in Los Angeles saying that he's lost around 40 lbs since the show began... It'll take some time to show on the guy, but 40 lbs in 48-49 days for the character? That's a crash diet!!! Look at Richard Hatch not losing his gut on Survivor. I think people have unrealistic expectations.

15. TeeSee

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    So realism has no place in TV?

Still, when a man weighs 450 pounds and then lives for a month and a half on a diet of fruits and berries without any noticable weight loss, I'm going to wonder aloud about the limits of believablity being stretched.

16. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Would 40lbs really be that noticable on someone his size though. I mean, yes, it's a great acomplishment but with someone that size you drop the pounds and you're left with flab that still needs to be firmed up. I know when I went from 200 to 150 the first 20lbs or so that I lost wasn't very noticable. I stayed in the same pant size and everything. I don't know where those 20lbs came off of but I didn't go down a pant size until I got to about 170.

17. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    You decide to dwell on the realism of hurleys weight but willing accept that this many people lived through such a plane crash, black smoke thing, polar bears on island, whispers, the list goes on...

Just relax and enjoy it.

18. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    I actually did think he looked a bit thinner - I told my husband that it looked like he dropped a chin.

It's going to take a long time for us to be aware of his weight loss. 10 pounds on a 100 pound person will show dramatically, but 40 pounds on a 450 pound man isn't really going to look much different. Even when he loses 100 pounds, he's still going to look obese, although by then we'll notice he has lost something.

I think too many of us watch those weight loss shows where they show you the 300 pound guy, and they show him exercising, and eating right, and then they cut to a year later when he's 200 pounds and we don't see all the tiny steps in between.

I wonder if it's in his contract that he has to lose weight? It'll be interesting to see what happens in two years, when he gets a lot of it off.

19. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Realism about his weight loss??

What about this?

[​IMG]

-smak-

20. TeeSee

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA