Lost program info

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by travellover, Sep 25, 2011.

1. travellover

travellover travellover

Mar 20, 2007
    rocky hill,...
    When I hit the pause button the info that used to appear for whatever I was watching has vanished.

No matter what I tried I cannot get it back. All I get is them trying to get me to watch a preview of the good wife.

Nothing again good wife but not interested in it. Just want my info back.

Found a lot of good shows that way.

Anyon have any info that would help ?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Have you tried hitting the "Info" button?

3. travellover

travellover travellover

Mar 20, 2007
    rocky hill,...
    I have hit every button, rebooted, connected to TiVo service, removed cable card all to no avail

4. travellover

travellover travellover

Mar 20, 2007
    rocky hill,...
    Just in case I was not clear it is not the channel banner info but the info on the show, who was in it, what else they were in and so on.

Sorry if I was not clear.

5. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Just so I'm clear as to what's happening, the info on the show is normally accessed while watching it by hitting the "Info" button, not pause. And that is part of the channel banner. You may have changed the default behavior of the channel banner. There doesn't seem to be any way to do that on my Premiere but I thought that there used to be on earlier models.

While you're playing a program, try hitting the "Info" button followed immediately by the right arrow once or twice.

6. travellover

travellover travellover

Mar 20, 2007
    rocky hill,...
    Nope ya got it wrong.

When watching a show you hit the pause button. Up comes the time bar and above that was info on what show you were watching. You hit select and it would bring you to a screen with info about the show. Just like you Did a search. You could access cast info with photo's of the cast and click through to see what else they were in and who was in that and go thousands of layers deep if you wanted to.

Then one day it disappeared , even the banner above it hyping some new show or product disappeared. But the ad banner came back but not the info.

It is not the info banner from the info button with the show title but an interactive menu.

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That is "extras" and what you get with it changed a while back. You can still get to the information you are looking for via the "explore this show" menu item.

8. travellover

travellover travellover

Mar 20, 2007
    rocky hill,...
    There is no more explore thi show. It vanished a while ago.

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you press pause then select, you get into a pause add not the program info screen.

Pressing the INFO button gets you the Live TV channel banner while in Live TV, and the program info while watching a recording.

You can change the size of the banner with presses of the -> right arrow to cycle from full info, to title only, to channel only and back to full.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Still there on my Premiere, both SD and HD menus. Haven't checked my other two functional TiVos.

11. travellover

travellover travellover

Mar 20, 2007
    rocky hill,...
    That is strange as I calle TiVo and they said they knew about it, did not know what happened or why or when it would be coming back and venave a series 3 and a premier and it vanished on both of them over the summer.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There's at least one more thread out there on this I can't find about "pause ads gone" and the ramifications.

The reason so many people were confused was the OP's title, you lost the "more about xxxx" not actual program info.

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I don't know whether this will subtract from or add to the confusion, but what I am saying that what is still there is the "Explore this show" option when you select the show within the NPL. I took a brief look at the THD and while it is still there, I'm not sure that it does what it used to when you are connected to an old 3:4 TV, which mine is. Works fine on the Premiere connected to a 16:9.

14. nooneuknow

nooneuknow not quite dead yet

Feb 5, 2011
    Perhaps the O.P. has more than one TiVo and perhaps they transferred shows between them. As I have experienced, and others have, the metadata (the info he says is missing, basically), gets lost. All that remains is the name of the program and the name of each episode (but not what episode or season number). I found this out in an unpleasant way when I moved a full 2TB TiVo Premiere's content to an empty 2TB one.

In this scenario, you can't use the bar on the pause screen, if it even appears, to explore the show, even though you can do a search from the main menu, and find ALL the info. If you right arrow into program info from something you have selected from the NPL, all you get it program name & episode name. The receiving-end TiVo also doesn't always put things in folders, either. I have four Premieres and two TiVo HDs, so I've had plenty of units to try and make it work with.

I have heard that TiVo desktop won't lose the metadata, which means transfer to computer, then to other TiVo. Not only is that time-consuming, TiVo Desktop stopped working for me. It comes up with an error that the Transfer Server version doesn't match the TiVo (desktop) Server version. Wiped all instances even remotely TiVo out of registry and all files (yes even the really hard to find, and sometimes hidden, ones) off the hard drive, after uninstalling. I still can't get it to work without that error. I also did run Norton registry repair after deleting all instances. Done this about 5 times now.

Sorry, if this constitutes hijacking the thread. Some links would be nice, if this is covered somewhere, or you have any ideas that a computer tech with 20 years experience wouldn't obviously know or try. PM me, please, if there's a fix anybody is aware of (to keep from hijacking the thread any further). I'm running Genuine WinXP Pro SP3.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No, he is not saying the metadata is missing. He is saying that when he pauses a show and gets the "extras" bar, it is no longer "More about <this show>", it is an ad. For instance, I am currently watching the season finale of "Eureka" on the Premiere, the TiVo that recorded it, and when I pause, the "extras" bar is "* Journey to TERRA NOVA".

Boy, while working on this issue, I have found out things I didn't previously know. Like what you can do with the full channel banner displayed.

Just now I discovered that if you are paused and neither the progress bar nor the channel banner are visible, if you hit an up arrow you can cycle through the video formats.

16. travellover

travellover travellover

Mar 20, 2007
    rocky hill,...
    Wow is this getting confusing but the last post is correct. When you hit pause there used to be an extras feature that would allo you to explore the program. For instance it would give you all the name of the cast, tell you what other tv shows or movies they appeared in, what movies they were in, what they directed, wrote or produced and even when and where they were born.

Then TiVo added crap, ie advertising, above that in the extras bar. Now the show info is gone and the crap is still there.

A while ago TiVo said they knew about it but dd not know why it happened, how it happened or how to get it back or even when it would be back.

I really used that feature a lot and wish I could get it back.

Getting to the point where all the interesting stuff goes away but the crappy advertising increases.

I love my TiVo but get rid of all the ads. That's not why I bought my tivo's.

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah, it was annoying, so I removed it. You mean TiVo has done something to remove it globally?

Yeah, I removed that, too.

The "interesting stuff" is what my TiVo records. I am not interested in anything else.

I did get rid of the ads, or some of them, anyway. 'Another reason not to buy a Premier.

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You don't have this?:

[​IMG]