Lost PPV on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by aniemyer, Jul 22, 2007.

1. aniemyer

aniemyer New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Upper Midwest
    Odd thing happened to me last night. We ordered a Charter/HBO PPV event via one of our non-TiVo Charter receivers. The pre-event, part of the package, played just fine on both the non-TiVo box and on TiVo S3. When the time came for the featured event to start, the non-TiVo receiver had it just fine, but my TiVo screen set to the PPV channel went blank. I tried the second receiver card in the TiVo and it too was blank.

The inevitable 25+ minute phone call (including 3 different customer service agents and hold) to Charter only got me as far as being told "We've had a number of card users calling with this same problem tonight," before she sent me off to agent #4 whereupon I was cut off and asked to try my call again.

Because I had no desire to miss the rest of the event playing around, I did not do a set-up again to try and regain the lost program. I will be calling Charter on Monday to either get my money back or at least a discount!

Can anyone address why this happened? Is this a Signal:Noise dB issue? Why would I be getting one part of the show just fine, albeit prerecorded, and the "live" feed goes blank?

TIA for your insights!

2. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Could it have been "copy protected"? PPV shows sometimes get flagged and they automatically delete themselves 90 minutes after they begin showing. I've tried to back up to the beginning of some UFC fights and they damn screen was blank with a message telling me that I can no longer view that part of the show due to the copyright holders. Usually when this happens there are flashing flags etc. that let you know the show is flagged. Just a thought. The first time it happened to me, I was very confused and had no idea what was happening. :confused:

3. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Were you able to still watch the event from the box that you ordered it from?

It's possible that only that device was authorized for the PPV, so when the "main event" started, your unauthorized S3 stopped displaying the show.

4. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    When I have called in to Charter to order PPVs in the past few months they ask which cable cards you want authorized, I usually tell them all of them and there is no extra charge for that. Ordering through the cable-provided box probably did not authorize the cablecards for the event, probably only the free portion before the event got sent to your whole house and when the event started the cable cards not having been authorized shut down the channel.

All conjecture of course, but it sounds good! :D

edit: um yeah, what GoHokies said, didn't refresh the page after letting it sit all night so didn't see his reply first :eek:

5. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    If you ordered it from the cableco box then that box is the only box that it will show on. The only way to get "all boxes" is to call in person and ask for it.

6. aniemyer

aniemyer New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Upper Midwest
    Looks like that was the problem. Biggest issue was trying to find the number to call in the mazes that make up both a Charter's crappy websites! I'm going to put the number in my Palm and keep it there!

Best regards

7. aniemyer

aniemyer New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Upper Midwest
    Yep, like the others have pointed out, if use the box, you get the box only. Next stop is "phone hell" with Charter to get them to give me the number to call. :(

Best regards

8. aniemyer

aniemyer New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Upper Midwest
    Leo_N:
    Yeah, it was late when I started to try and find the phone number for PPV with Charter. They of course give you nothing when you search for it, so I'll try through their regular "customer disservice" number.

Best regards

9. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    Yep, that is how I have done it each time, I had all the numbers written down at one time to get through the menu system quicker but I can't seem to find it. The last time it took me a couple calls to get through to the right menu, pretty aggravating, but I started early enough that I didn't miss any of the fights.

10. aniemyer

aniemyer New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Upper Midwest
    "...I started early enough that I didn't miss any of the fights."

Boxing fan, too? My oldest is an amateur boxer, so we watch the matches together. He's got a very practiced eye for the sport, so I get a lot out of it from his "participant's" POV.

Best regards

11. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

not true

On Cox in Omaha if you want it on each box you can order it from each box, but charged once.

ajwees41